Picky's Home Theater Demo DVD list

picky

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Glenn, you gotta check out Gladiator sometime. It's one of the few movies recorded in DTS 6.1 and they did a fabulous job with it.

Btw, what Picky doesn't mention is that he's got a whole script for his demonstration sequence too...he definitely put a lot of thought into the scenes he chose - something I kinda wish more people would do actually. It's the first few moments that will either make or break someone's perspective so the last thing you wanna do is start off with something lackluster. I particularly enjoyed how it got just a little bit more interesting with each demo though...Super Speedway is really cool from an audio/video reproduction standpoint, but the content itself (or rather the announcer) is kinda boring (since it's pretty much a documentary). But then it slowly gets way more interesting as you proceed through the clips - with Open Range being absolutely awesome, ROFL....seriously, the first 30 seconds of that clip is all you need.

The only thing that annoyed me was that I was pretty much sucked into every movie by the end of each clip - I was ready to watch the rest of the movie, so it was always a bit of a letdown when the next one came on, lol.

Hey Glenn, you gotta check out Gladiator sometime. It's one of the few movies recorded in DTS 6.1 and they did a fabulous job with it.

Super Speedway is really cool from an audio/video reproduction standpoint, but the content itself (or rather the announcer) is kinda boring (since it's pretty much a documentary).

The only thing that annoyed me was that I was pretty much sucked into every movie by the end of each clip - I was ready to watch the rest of the movie, so it was always a bit of a letdown when the next one came on, lol.

Doc: A friend brought 'Gladiator' over some time ago and it's got some of the best photograghy I've seen in a movie. It did sound great but at the time I was only running at 5.1 so, I guess I'd better get a copy of it and give it another look since I am now running 7.1 on everything.

That "boring announcer" you mention was none other than, Paul Newman! LOL

That is a common problem: guests getting drawn into the clips I am showing. I hate to do that, but it's the only way to porperly demo the system. Usually, I have more time and can show them a movie of their choice afterwards. Thanks for all of the props any way! - Glenn

since we are talking about demo disks, does anyone have one? where can you get a good at? i have seen some THX ones, but they seem a little too expencive. the other issue is, the movies they have to demo are none that i would want to see. (at least the ones i have seen.) if i buy a demo disk, i want a Kick A** demo, no fruity dialong, just bullets flying, cars racing, everything blowing up, just make your hair blow back. i want to look like the guy in the "i want it all" Dr. Pepper commerical!

If your interested, i have the THX demo DVD. I bought it off Ebay about three months ago. It is awesome. Send me your info and i will ship it to you. If you like it, you can buy it from me, if you don't want to buy it, just ship it back. Take your time with it, I have heard it about 25 times. It has great sound effects. You will enjoy it........ Daryl

how much? also how does it sound on the 7.1? i have a 7.1 too.

It sounds awesome with 7.1! Not for sure i want to sell it yet. Sorry, I know I said i would sell it, but these are pretty hard to find. Let me think about it. But, if you want to show off your system, you can borrow it and give it a listen..... Daryl

A lot of great suggestions here. However, I would distinguish between demos for me... and demos for guests. Too many times a 10-15 minute HT demo turned into something much longer because the "guests" were thristy for more. My solution...I used Nero Vision to make a custom demo disk. I selected four "shorts" from Pixar (Knick-Knack, For the Birds, Mater and the Ghostlight, and One Man Band) and combined them into one video presentation. Each "short" runs 3-4 minutes. The material is suiteable for all ages, enjoyed by young and old, the vivid colors really show off the video part of my HT, and the sound is quite above average, IMO. The best part is that I am not the one cutting the "demo" short...[:D] When the disk is done playing it repeats from the beginning. It's a good way to politely infer the demo is over...[;)] For me, it stopped all of the continuing requests to see one more "sample" from my DVD library. No more "let's see the rest of the movie" either...

The demo disk took about an hour to edit and create. If anyone is interested in the details, let me know. I'll be happy to share here.

The demo disk took about an hour to edit and create. If anyone is interested in the details, let me know. I'll be happy to share here.

Thanks for the offer, I'd love to have a copy of that, I could even put it up on an FTP server so others could get it easily. Might take a couple of days to get the FTP server running. Pool tournament going on.

Redtop: You've done exatcly what I plan to do: To make a compliation DVD of the demo sequences I've listed. I just need to get the correct software and I have someone near me who knows exactly what I need to do it. Thanks for bringing the suggestion up for others to try. It's an excellent idea and just for the reasons you stated: It's more "polite"! Typically, my demo for most people takes just less than an hour and so far, no one seems to mind. But, it always leaves them wanting to watch the remainder of the movies I show clips from. People become immersed in the environment created by the room and DVD and they don't want to get out just yet.

In a way, it's a lot like having a hot tub! Except: Nobody pees in it! LOL! Thank goodness we have floor drains if that ever does happen! [;)] -Glenn

Thanks for the offer, I'd love to have a copy of that, I could even put it up on an FTP server so others could get it easily. Might take a couple of days to get the FTP server running. Pool tournament going on.

FTP site is a good idea. I've got a website with plenty of bandwidth, but I'm not a web wizard so who knows if I can make it work or not...[*-)] I will at least make the attempt. The disk is about 710 Mg so it will take the rest of this evening to get it uploaded. Hopefully I can have it ready tomorrow after church.

Anyone here that would like a copy, send me an email request through the forum. I'll reply with the address and password once it is ready. I'll send a follow-up post to this thread once it is ready and working.

Brad

My custom demo DVD is ready for download. It will take about an hour to download. Just download the AUDIO_TS folder and VIDEO_TS folder. Burn them to a DVD disk and you are good to go.

One last legal matter...in order to download and use this demo, you must own the "source material". Pixar's CARS, TOY STORY,etc. I've been told you will then be ok with fair use laws.

Email me a request and I will send a link and password.

Brad

1. NIN beside you in time hd dvd (true hd audio track) best sound I have heard yet on any format!

2. Batman begins (true hd soundtrack) the chase scene

3. king kong (dolby digital plus) the t rex battle scene

4. pearl harbor bd (5.1 uncompressed pcm sountrack)the attack on pearl harbor a workout for any sub

5. the descent (6.1 uncompressed pcm sountrack) best I have heard for use of the rear surrounds

this is an oldy but goody....

batman 2....when the bat plane is flying out of the cave and is doing 360's. i first heard that in CC, don't know the set up but it was 5.1 and it almost made me dizzy! anacondo alos had a good scene, when the snake wrapped about the people, you could hear it slither all the way around. pretty cool effect.