What a bargain.

Jay481985

• Moderators

Strange you posted this I was just looking at the D80 with the same lens, but it's 1k less and has most of the features I would want.

I have an older Nikon, Film, that stopped working and I don't want to even have it fixed would rather move to digital.

Strange you should post this. Yesterday, I was thinking about how much money in lenses, tripod, case and a flash that I had put into my Nikon that also....doesn't work.

I could have it repaired but it would be throwing good money after bad. I guess I'll just suffer with my Sony point and shoot for now. I hate wasted and lost money.

And speaking of wasted/lost money, I don't want to even tell you about my car that got a bad oil change, a new engine and hasn't stopped leaking fluids since I have gotten it back..At least, my Klipsch speakers are still rocking....[:'(]

Jeff

hmm I would get a nikon d80 but i think i will outgrow it in about 8 hours..... I prefer full manual without those clunky scene modes the d80 offers. Plus i abuse cameras, i need the magnesium body.The 18-200 lense though is a really good compromise.

• Moderators

hmm I would get a nikon d80 but i think i will outgrow it in about 8 hours..... I prefer full manual without those clunky scene modes the d80 offers. Plus i abuse cameras, i need the magnesium body.The 18-200 lense though is a really good compromise.

I guess I need to read more on the D80. When you say '' scene modes '' what do you mean? If the D80 can't be operated full manual I will look at another model. I don't know anything about these digital cameras, my first film camera was an Canon AE-1, my last was a Nikon something, $600 and It's in the closet broken.

All can be in true manual mode, but there are differences in the likes between a d50 and a d80 and a d200. First the d200 even though its probably double or more the weight of a d80 it can take abuse. The d80 or d50 are plastic. The d200 is magnesium chasis with rubber outercoating that feels more sure and secure than the d80 or d50. Also the d200 does not have clunky scene modes like most point and shoot camera's have. The d50 and d80 have scene modes to make it somewhat branch out into true manual and full auto. But I use one thing for my light metering, my eyes. My father taught me well how to use them and adjust accordingly to light situations. Also the d200 has better sensors and such but that is trival to people who look into getting a d50 or d80. If you can afford it get the d200, if you cannot which is totally reasonable, then get the d80. Its just that if you were raised in a family with a professional photographer, its hard to use non professional cameras. Its egotisical of me but it is what it is.

I've got a Nikon D1 that I'll let go for $550, includes a nice new 500mb f-card, LCD & lens ring caps, and a good Nikon battery. I'm original owner; don't use it that much, as I have a D1X, a Nikonos-V, and couple of "Coolpix" for work stuff. Go to keh.com and get a MH-16 charger (I only have one and I need it for the X), a 35-70 AF lens and you're in business.... It's reliable, great images, workhorse and a good entry level before going to the newer D's.

PS. It's big and impressive!!![6]

All can be in true manual mode, but there are differences in the likes between a d50 and a d80 and a d200. First the d200 even though its probably double or more the weight of a d80 it can take abuse. The d80 or d50 are plastic. The d200 is magnesium chasis with rubber outercoating that feels more sure and secure than the d80 or d50. Also the d200 does not have clunky scene modes like most point and shoot camera's have. The d50 and d80 have scene modes to make it somewhat branch out into true manual and full auto. But I use one thing for my light metering, my eyes. My father taught me well how to use them and adjust accordingly to light situations. Also the d200 has better sensors and such but that is trival to people who look into getting a d50 or d80. If you can afford it get the d200, if you cannot which is totally reasonable, then get the d80. Its just that if you were raised in a family with a professional photographer, its hard to use non professional cameras. Its egotisical of me but it is what it is.

Shutter lag time. check it out. The less expensive models have much larger shutter lag.

The D200 has white balance, auto, 4 memory banks for custom WB, quality and ISO right on the dials. You don't even have to go into the menus to do most shooting. And there's lots of programmability. Get the vertical handgrip for $150 and enjoy the extra functionality and double battery storage!

• Moderators

I could be happy with some things but the shutter lag time is something I can't handle.

I was using one of the kids digital pocket cameras and the lag time was about 2 seconds. I was trying to take pic's of them riding go-carts, it was a joke I would have to push the button and follow them like I was useing a video camera, waiting for the shutter. It was a cheap camera, but it made me realize how bad shutter lag is !

• Moderators

Sorry double post

edit : Might as well use the space !

I kind of got away from taking pic's because of price, take 36 pic's and really like a few, the rest end up in boxes.

We went through the boxes of old pic's a while back and were actually glad to have a few, old friends, and relatives, some no longer with us, so it wasn't a complete waist.

But with digital, take 20 or 30 of what you want and only save the ones you want, without paying to print them all. and you can store them on a disk,and get them printed when ever you want.

That is what is making me want to get back in to photography thing again, I used to love it.

Sorry double post

edit : Might as well use the space !

I kind of got away from taking pic's because of price, take 36 pic's and really like a few, the rest end up in boxes.

We went through the boxes of old pic's a while back and were actually glad to have a few, old friends, and relatives, some no longer with us, so it wasn't a complete waist.

But with digital, take 20 or 30 of what you want and only save the ones you want, without paying to print them all. and you can store them on a disk,and get them printed when ever you want.

That is what is making me want to get back in to photography thing again, I used to love it.

I like digital too because of that though I like the picture quality of film

I got my D200 with 18-70 for $1699 about a year ago. I'd be wary of that lens- that is an awful lot of zoom to do that inexpensively.

Michael

Actually colter the 18-200 does an admiral job. Though not as good as zoom lenses with less zoom, it does the job well enough that even the professionals have made to switch due to having only 1 lense not 3 to carry.

Shutter lag time. check it out. The less expensive models have much larger shutter lag.

The D200 has white balance, auto, 4 memory banks for custom WB, quality and ISO right on the dials. You don't even have to go into the menus to do most shooting. And there's lots of programmability. Get the vertical handgrip for $150 and enjoy the extra functionality and double battery storage!

I believe the d80 came out after the d200 so it has many of the same things the d200 has but not quite all.