DVD player noise

ahhbee78

hello all...

in my quest to construct an affordable HT set-up i took it upon myself to build the speaker/tv/component stands by myself. I am happy with how they look and everything, but i am having a small problem.

the tv stand has my tv, center channel, vcr, and dvd player. i have the vcr/dvd suspended above the ground by about 4 inches. the floor is pergo(?), fake hardwood, and my problem is that when im watching movies, during quiet parts i can hear the dvd or vcr players' noise.

full carpeting is not really an option at this time. i was thinking about cutting a small piece of carpet and placing it underneath the dvd player on the stand. havent done this yet, but does anyone else have suggestions? should i just listen to movies at mindblowing volumes??

I've NEVER heard a DVD player that made so much noise that you could hear it, thought the VCR is another matter...

I wouldn't place carpet under the pieces, as that might interfere with the airflow through them and cause them to overheat. I'd go to a carpet store, and ask for a couple of small hunks of carpet PADDING, the better or best quality they have. Tell them you're looking at laying carpeting, and need to show the padding options to your wife or something. This stuff is basically zero cost to the store, so that shouldn't be a problem. It's ugly, but at least it'll isolate the equipment from the cabinet, and if that solves the problem, then you can go get something more audio-file-ish, like Sorbothane or something.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Not to discourage you, but is it an older/cheaper player? A friend of mine was given a really inexpensive player a few years ago and it did the same thing. you cold hear the disc spinning and it made a noticeable noise every time it switched chapters. I was not able to fix it other than to put it in a case with a door. Good luck

Yeah, but would doing all the necessary damping

tweaks, sorbethane feet, dynamat,isolating

the transport from the chassis with rubber or

neoprene washers still kill a noisy transport

if this was the source of noise.

I would not get too excited with dynamat,

the older DVD's have a problems with overheating

due to the fact that most cases are poorly

ventilated and the regulators can't disipate

the heat.

I have a Samsung 709, If you don't run this with the cover off, it just flat burns up.

Good player otherwise.

But it has a noisy transport too, and I'll probably

try rubber washers under it.

You may not want to tear into your player.

Try some rubber door stops(or equivalent) or mike stehrSorbethane from the local hardware joint.

Or pad under both units too.

Thanx!cwm20.gif

hey,

thanks for the input... ill try to describe the situation a little more in detail.

im guessing that the sound im hearing is the disc spinning around inside the player. i can hear the same thing from my CD changer, but since the CD plays from the back of the changer you dont hear it. the sound is not a clicking sound but maybe a "fitt...fitt...fitt" just a constant sound while the disc is spinning. going from chapter to chapter is not audible from my couch, but i can hear it if im sitting next to the player.

my player is a sony from best buy that i bought this past july. (hopefully it doesnt kill itself like ive heard of sonys doing lately) i know that a sony for $180 doesnt compare with a mcintosch or something, but ive been really happy with it. since its relatively new, i dont think that i am or will suffer with any problems associated with early DVD players. most of the heat generated is from my VCR placed on top of the DVD player. there is plenty of circulation space above and around the two machines. i wish i had a picture for you guys. that would make things much easier...

so thats where we are now... probably doesnt change the advice already given, but hey, it never hurts.

Is it on all your DVD's? Some DVD's can be noisy. Did a test myself. I have the pioneer DV-525 and the DVD disc X-Men can be noisy at the start of the movie.

I had to know if it was my DVD-player so I tried it on the DV-717 of pioneer with the same results.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3 tFTP

Rear: RF-3 tFTP

Center: RC-3 tFTP

I agree with USparc, DVD's seem to have

noisier tracking.

This might be a long shot, but you mention the

VCR is placed on TOP of the DVD player.

Obviously there is no overheating problems,

or you would have brought it up.

But the two sitting on each other may be

causing interactions with RFI, or EMI, the

stray radio and electromagnetic frequencys

from most common circuits.

This 'COULD' be amplifying the DVD tracking

and the VCR tape motor servos.

Simply put, try getting some distance between

the two and see if that makes the units

possibly quiet down.

Keep in mind that I barely know what the hell I'm

talking about.

THANX!

cwm31.gif

HMMMMM.....

You would think these newer units have more

quiet transports.

But my unit, unless you are right next to it,

isn't really noticable, like from the veiwing/sitting

position.

Any folks in this Forum have any higher end DVD

players?

Anywhere from over $1500 to $2000 range.

And if so, could anyone report that if the

transports are noisy too?

IMO, they best not!

THANX! cwm32.gif