How to hook up receiver for either tv or receiver listening option

twisted1272

I love my Klipsch reference set up, however my wife doesnt always want to listen to her shows with all the speakers running and would just like to use the tv speakers. My question is this, my receiver is a sony str-de897, how do I wire it so wife can listen to tivo or kids can listen to their dvd movies on tv and then later if I want to listen to it on speakers it will work also? Also, I did not want the tv to control the receivers volume, have had it in the past so the tv volume dictated how loud the receiver would go, so both the tv speakers and klipsch were running same, sucked. So that's it, i would like to either use speakers or tv indepently of each other and use whichever ones I want whenever i want. Thank you so much for any info you may have!! Forgot to mention, my tv is hitachi 50" 50v500.

• Moderators

I went from the satellite box to the receiver, and from the satellite box to the TV. Just use the best connection it allows, optical, HDMI, or component, for the TV just left and right would be fine.

That way you can use the TV speakers or the receiver, there may be a easier way ? You should get some more replies.

To tell you the truth I don't remember what I used and it's to much of a mess to pull out, I know I have component and a optical cable hooked up plus a couple other wires ? I will have to tear it apart soon because we have ordered the newer HD satellite box to get the last 10 HD channels the older model 811 don't pickup.

What Dtel says makes sense. If your box has 2 sets of audio outs, try running one to the receiver and the other to the tv. That way you can turn on your receiver and use it when you want to with the tv speakers turned all the way low. If you only have one set of outs you can try a splitter set-up and see how that goes. Otherwise, you could set up the tv in the menu to have speakers on for the family, and then go into the menu again and turn them off and used fixed audio out and use the receiver. This assumes you have the tv audio outs going to the receiver right now for system sound?

Since you have 2 dvd player options hook up one to the tv for the kids and hook up the other through the receiver. I'm not sure how many audio/video inputs and what type your tv has, to know what all your options might be. Also not sure how much of that space the games take.

What I have done is where the sound matters(5.1), run the optical outs to the receiver. You can then run the AV outs to the TV. I also then run the TV out to the receiver to bring in the video game sound and whatever else is hooked up to the TV to the receiver as an option. I also think you would find a good universal remote (Harmony) beneficial when using these slightly more complicated hook up schemes.

alright, i have the de-895 so we should have a very similar set up. this is complicated and may be hard to understand.

i have:

Sony ps2, dvd, 7.1 speakers, vcr, and cable box.

my set up is, 7.1 for the dvd player and Sony ps2, everything else is run off the tv.

every connection is using the yellow analog video. the cable box hooks up to the tv directly (yellow, red, white). the ps2 yellow and optical hook up to the processor. the dvd yellow and optical hook up to processor. you have to reassign the inputs to the tuner which could give you a headache. follow the manual because it explains it.

i don't know if this helps because it's very confusing, the bottom line read the manual, if you don't have it go to Sony.com and download it. i use the remote from the processor to run everything (it's a learning remote, it just takes time to program all of it).

She doesn't want to listen through the Klipsch? What the heck is she watching?

Maybe the wife and kids should be watching and listening to a 17" black and white TV in the other room for a while. Maybe after some of that they'd appreciate something nice once.

Probably sounds harsh, but its late and I just don't understand how someone could choose TV speakers over Klipsch, no matter what programming they're watching...

I hope you find something that works that doesn't involve TV speakers.

if you feel like talking on the phone and doing this, you can call sony and someone will help you. i did, and the guy was real nice. just remember, when dealing with the video portion of the hooks ups, if you want to run all the video cables to the processor and then 1 cable to the tv, all the video connections have to be the same. either all yellow analog, all component...etc.

good luck!