bought RF-35s

banasikdrummer

I went to go buy RF-35s, RS-35s, and an RC-35 from a guy who wanted a thousand for them yesterday. I got to his house and it turned out he had RF-35s, RS-7s, and an RC-7. I bought 'em all for nine-hundred and I'm definitely impressed with them all.

Now I actually feel like I'm worthy to post on the Klipsch forum. Now I just need to go about getting a sub and a beter receiver...

Alright, so quick question about these.... When I listened to them before I bought them, they sounded fine. I got them home, put them in my room, and started listening to music. On a lot of songs, they sound somewhat fuzzy or muddy.

My friend told me that he didn't play anything that he felt uncomfortable with when he was at my house (he used to own RF-15s and now has RF-7s) and told me the problem is probably that I'm not running them off of a nice receiver. At the guy's house who I bought them from, he was running them off of a Rotel something or other, and I'm stuck here with a Philips FR994 (which came in a complete 5.1 system for two hundred dollars).

Can having a piece of crap receiver like this make my Klipsch sound like crap, or do you guys think something happened in the last day of playing music that would have completely screwed them up?

In case you didn't see my answer at your other post:

The quality of the source (such as the CD player you're using) and the quality of the amplification will affect the sound quite a bit. Also, the room they are in will make a huge impact on the sound you hear as well. How far apart are the speakers? How close to side or rear walls do you have them? How close do you sit to them?

Your Philips HTIB's receiver is probably made to specifically drive the speakers it came with, not high quality speakers. Your next step should be to look for a good quality receiver.

CDs are also recorded differently as well. Some are great recordings, some are very poor.

it most likely sounds different because they are not set up right. positing the speakers takes lots of time and patience. you also need a spl meter to balance them. there are several things that go into putting a ht room together. with that receiver i wouldn't turn it up too loud, you may have a problem with clipping. (sending dc to the speakers, this kills them, a big don't do). you get clipping from not having enough amps. don't freak, just don't crank it up too much. these speakers are really efficient and don't need many amps.

the acoustics in the room play a huge role too.

Several of you have mentioned the speaker positions themselves, which, in my case, are far from optimal. I moved them into my bedroom and they are sitting about four feet apart, with me two to three feet away from them. I tried to keep them away from the walls, too, as I've heard you should keep the backs at a minimum of six to eight inches away, and mine are probably located about a foot from the back wall.

The thing I was worried about, though, was when I put my ear right next to the speakers. That's when I heard what sounded just like complete crap. In addition to having a horrible receiver, is there a possiblity that I'm picking up some electrical interference from the electronics (computer, printer, PS2, TV, and receiver) sitting all within a few feet from the RF-35s?

Wow nice setup for a nice price!! I had the RF-35s and loved them. The RC-7 is also a huge improvement over the RC-35. I would not worry about electrical interference at this point. Your biggest problem by far is that amp. Amps make the biggest difference in the world on a speaker such as that. Go grab yourself a nice Denon on Yamaha receiver, then add an amp down the road if you feel it necessary.

Nice purchase. You might look at refurb Harman Kardons. Cheaper & good sound.

Arky,

I just had Falcon20x over to my house the other day and he reiterated the bad experiences he has had with HKs. He went through three of them in about three months. I used to love Harman Kardon and listened to some Altecs I have for years with one but it seems they are not built the way they used to be and that is why there are so many good prices on refurbs right now. Very disappointing and not a good sign for HK.

Banasikdrummer,

What a score. It would have been a great price for 35s but the 7 series really put your purchase over the top!!! You did good!

Yep, when you move up to reference level speakers, all your older equipment, CDs, and room start to show their age and inability to keep up with reference quality speakers. Do not fret over it. Just a fact of life in the Klipsch world. A receiver with bass management is a minimum now a days but I might want to wait on an AV receiver purchase until the new HD standards come out and HDMI 1.3 is available in its final configuration.

Gone are the days when you could run audio separate from your video. Copy protection is going to rule our lives from here on out with high resolution digital content, I am afraid. If you get a really good deal on a quality receiver, go ahead and buy it but you will have to upgrade again to take advantage of HD audio formats that are coming down the pipe, and you won't be able to run your video separately, like days gone by.

This might be a good time to start some research on room acoustics and proper speaker placement. This will optimize what you have now and get you started in the right direction when the new AV receivers hit the market.

Congratulations one again and post some photos when you get a chance. Lots of skilled people around here that would be more than happy to give some constructive advice.

If your speakers or electronics are picking up interference you'll hear it as the sound of hiss coming from the speakers when your receiver is on but no sound is being played through the speakers.

Again, it is very likely that your receiver was designed to run the little speakers that come with the surround package and they might not even be putting out the entire 20Hz to 20kHz spectrum of humanly audible sound.

I would say its a safe bet that even if you went out and bought a cheap $100-150 receiver you'll notice a big difference from what you have right now.

If your speakers or electronics are picking up

interference you'll hear it as the sound of hiss coming from the

speakers when your receiver is on but no sound is being played through

the speakers.

This morning before I left for

classes, I wanted to try that out and could hear a slight hiss out of

the tweeter when the speakers were at normal volume but with no music

playing...so does that mean I've got some sort of interference from

some outside source? (Keep in mind I've only been on this forum a

whopping nine days and have only been in the market for speakers for

about two weeks now)

Another thing that everyone seemed concerned