2-channel quality from HT components?

UFObuster

By trial and error, I've staked out my own patch of 2 channel bliss by adding a Rotel RB-1080 (2 channel) to my HT system: Yamaha RX-V2600, RF-7, RC-7,RF-5(for surround),RSW-10. I've been so pleased with the overall improvement with the amp added that it forces me to consider where this goes in the future. I'm music first and HT second. I really like what I'm hearing in 2 channel now. The RF-7 finally are paying the 'dividend'.

So, naturally, thinking ahead to separates the question relates to pathways: a) do a dedicated 2 channel application with a 2 channel pre-amp and use switching to go back to HT on the Yammi? or B) move up to 5 channel amps and 5+ channel pre-amp processors such as the Rotel RSP-1068--or other equivalents, sell the Yammi to take away some of the hurt.

The real question is: if I went 5 channel in separates as an example described above, will I be giving away sound quality when used in 2 channel? In one way or other I will be keeping HT playback alive in my system because I like it. But I really want the best quality 2 channel I can do in a "hybrid" system of some sort. I'm sure that there are good opinions about this out there....

Thanks, Roger

Depends on what you consider 2-channel quality to be.  Many opinions there.  I have had 3 HT systems all of which support 2-channel direct modes.  I am currently using a Rotel HT receiver and love the 3-channel sound I am getting (it also has a 3-channel from 2-channel decoder).  I use  L, C, R and lie about the surrounds (the receiver thinks I have them but I never connected any speakers).  That way it does not route surround info into the mains.  I believe that even in the late 40s and 50s, 3-channel was considered far superior to 2-channel.  Other than tape, no way to get that third channel onto a record.

Just my opinion here but I never intend to go back to 2-channel.  I think that part of your 2-channel quality issue depends on the quality of the electronics.  Mono was once considered superior to 2-channel!

If I were going to get an HT preamp that would do "double duty" as a good musical 2 channel preamp, I would be looking at McIntosh. Classe also made some good sounding HT preamps with good 2 channel sound also. In other words, the HT pre/pros that have good 2 channel performance will be high end units. Lessee....there's also Lexicon, Meridian, Anthem......lots of good brands out there. Can't give too many specifics, though, as I've been out of HT prepro shopping for a while.....

As it is, I use an old Krell HT preamp for HT applications, and use a separate system (vintage Mac tubes) for 2 channel. I will be adding tube amplifers (VRDs) and a JM Peach to handle the two channel end of the HT system (in essence I will have two 2 channel systems then). All tubes for 2 channel music in the HT room, and HT prepro with tube amps on the main/ SS amps on the remaining channels for HT. This would be an example of the "combo" system you mention.

Over time, I have steadily migrated to tube gear for musical apps on Klipsch. Once one gets hooked on that combo, it's hard to recommend anything else.

If you are lurking out there (not the original poster, of course, he has the HT end he wants), are on a budget and can't afford all this pricey gear, then just build yourself a REALLY GOOD 2 channel kit and be done with it. A good 2 channel kit set up properly will image better than most multichannel HTs do. Quality over quantity here, folks: if you can afford to do 5-7 quality channels, by all means - but make sure you have 2 GOOD channels first. Just my "take".

First, unless you want to go to a tube amp, I would not sell your 1080 in favor of a multi-channel ss amp to drive all channels. Having owned various multi-channel amps, a 1080 and RF-7s in years past, you will be taking a step backwards if you go to a multi-channel ss amp. Instead, keep the 1080 and augment the other speakers accordingly with other amps (if you want).

You can still get fantastic two-channel sound in separates by going to a quality separates 5.1-7.1 prepro. The suggestions for Classe, Lexicon, Mc, etc. are good ones. I run a Classe 7.1 prepro for my main system and love it.

That being said, there is still nothing like a tube prepro. I also run a Peach tube linestage in the same system that has a HT bypass. If I were you, I would a) keep the Yammy and use it for HT, DVD-Audio and SACD (if applicable); and B) add a tube pre to the same system - to use for two-channel. If the tube pre has a HT bypass - so much the better - and more convenient. Other wise, you could make it work by using a Niles switcher (e.g. DPS-1) or something similar.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Carl.

I think you need a road map of where you think you might be in a year, 3years, 5years, then review your present grear to see what will fit into that model.

As has been mentioned, there are a few ways you can go.
For the money, (and if I had it to do over) I'd recommend a great tubed 2 channel pre-amp with HT bypass, a great stereo amp, combined with an ordinary surround receiver for movies.
This would give you the best of 2 channel with the option of surround sound for movies.

Other options:
1.) Two systems (expensive)
2.) A pre/pro with a good stereo amp and a mediocre multi-channel amp (the way I went).
3.) A surround reciever with a better stereo amp (where you are)
4.) An outboard stereo amp that has volume controls so you can bypass a preamp for music (some like this, I don't).
5.) A high end receiver (ends up costing about the same as option 2 with fewer benefits).

There's probably more because I don't really understand the dual systems set up with switchers.

As mentioned, there are options but it depends on where you want to be, how complicated you care to make it, and how much you want to invest.

If your main goal is having a good two-channel "system within a system" I think you are in good shape now, with your single two-channel Rotel driving your L&R mains. But, in response to your question -- no, I don't see how going to a five-channel separates system would compromise two-channel performance at all. Personally, I would stay with fairly inexpensive receivers as pre/pros due to the relatively rapid obsolescence in that category, and just flesh out the rig with Rotel amps, if you are happy with their sound.