How do Tubes sound?

colterphoto1

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael, I've got a Dynaco ST70 that's been sitting for awhile. It was rebuilt by Craig,I got it from Joesportster seems like a long time ago.It smoked a tranny and has at least one bad tube. Craig made it sound like an easy fix.I now run three MKIII's and have two MKIV's as back up,so I really can't see using the ST70 again. Down side is you would need a pre for it.Cheap money or trade for Lp's? Just a thought!

Larry

Any idea what $$ it'd take to get it running again? I know nothing about these? Is it much watts that'd be okay with my khorns? I certainly have a pile of LP's here if I put my mind to it.

Michael, I want to say the amp is rated at 35 watts per channel. Last I talked to Craig,he had a used tranny fairly cheap. You would need to talk with him.When this amp went down, my MKIII's were'nt ready. I bought another ST70 that Craig rebuilt from a local member just to keep me in tubes. It's a sweet sound,but remember you need a pre. The sound is amazing, it's just an offer to help get you started.Maybe even push a few members for help with your quest for tubes, it will happen.

Larry

Grab it Michael. You will love the sound of the Dynaco St-70. It will definitely kick the KHorns nicely. I've got a Nice preamp you can use if you can't find one immediately. I may have an extra tube laying around too. Heck, if you don't want it, let me know. I'll build it for another buddy on the forum ready to go tubes. He's about on the same time frame on tubes right now.

HarryO

35 tube watts, that's probably way more than we used the other night. Ok, I'll bite. What will it take to do this? Should we send to Craig for repair estimate or ??

Maybe I could use one of the HK's for pre for the time being? Until something else comes along, I mean...

Thanks,

Michael

35 tube watts, that's probably way more than we used the other night. Ok, I'll bite. What will it take to do this? Should we send to Craig for repair estimate or ??

Maybe I could use one of the HK's for pre for the time being? Until something else comes along, I mean...

Thanks,

Michael

Cool! I'll try to find a box and get it shipped. I'm sure the cost will be low, if not. Pull in some favors. I'm sure members will help just to get you into tubes!

Larry

Thanks,

Michael

Cool! I'll try to find a box and get it shipped. I'm sure the cost will be low, if not. Pull in some favors. I'm sure members will help just to get you into tubes!

Larry

VERY COOL, thanks Larry. WOW, I was Googling this amp- yup it sure looks like a tube amp should. Looks like there are about a bagillion ways to modify it also. I have a great uncle who is an electronics whiz, wonder if he knows any tricks?

What I was wondering, since it needed work, was -would it be better just to ship directly to Craig for a lowdown on what was needed? Or at least get some idea of the amount of work and $$ involved?

I wonder if I have any favors to 'pull in'? I usually don't keep very close track...

Michael

I just had my first good taste of tube sound, thanks to HarryO. (see thread 'Colter Needs Tubes')

I'm just wondering, did I really hear what I thought I heard? I didn't want to have any preconceived notions, but would be interested in other's experiences with adding Tubes to the mix.

I'm perfectly happy with my Yamaha HT receiver and setup, but I have a separate room that houses my Khorns very elegantly. I can use anything I want in this room because it is strictly for 2 channel listening. I have a little HK 430 in there now and listen to some FM and a CD walkman (I know I know). I'm thinking of moving my Thorens TT in there since the HT room is too bouncy- I could wall mount the TT here.

So before I take the leap? What is the difference and what would be a good entry level piece? I'm thinking integrated but could go any route.

Thanks

Michael

Not sure what your statement means.

When I moved to tubes it was disturbing to think of how much money I wasted on SS amps in years past.

AF- I am trying to get other's opinions of the audible differences between tubes and solid state, their memory of their first real taste of the tube sound. Not so much an equipment discussion, but what to listen for, where the differences lie, that sort of thing.

On the first song Harry played my ears just felt 'confused'. I knew there was something quite different about the sound but not sure I liked it. Then we put on some music I was familiar with and I gave it a bit of time. After either the tubes warming up, or my ears warming to their sound, I found it quite enjoyable.

Anyone else?

I think that learning to appreciate a new quality in componentry can take a while because you're having to relearn what to listen to and how. My first Class A amplifiers (Mark Levinson SS monoblocs) were a revelation -- at first I thought I'd made a mistake because they sounded too subdued and laid-back. I hadn't expected the purity of good Class A to be both subtle and real. I gradually realized I was hearing a new level of accurate detail that didn't have to be in my face at the same time. It took a while!

The same thing happened when I first tried tubes in my current system a few years ago. The new qualities I described earlier were unexpected, and I had to relearn somewhat what to appreciate. Haven't looked back since.

Larry

AF- I am trying to get other's opinions of the audible differences between tubes and solid state, their memory of their first real taste of the tube sound. Not so much an equipment discussion, but what to listen for, where the differences lie, that sort of thing.

CP1, I would think Audio Flynn would be able to tell you the difference very well. Don't mean to speak for him but if i remember correctly its only been about 4 years since he made the transformation. The way he speaks now i know its hard to tell but he too was an all ss man. And now he is probably one of the biggest advocates of bringing folks to tubes. Well besides Craig and Mark of course. I also remember AF turning to the great Chorus II[Y]

Sorry to speak for you AF but you really do try to help folks see the enjoyment that tubes have brought you. Keep it up.

I'm confused... What amp were the tubes tested against? The HK 430 on the Khorns? Cuz the HK 430 is selling for $35-75 bucks on Ebay and I would hope most anything tested against it would shine. Was the goodness heard due to 'tubes'? Or was the goodness heard due to merely a higher quality amp? I don't care if it is "twin powered" or not, it's still an old amp at a $50 price point. If it was such a gem/great sounding amp, would it really be selling for $40 bucks? I can't imagine.