Protecting your audio/ video equipment

falcon20x

I have been going back and forth trying to decide what to get to protect my HT system.

I'm using a optimus surge/power conditioner but lately I noticed a increase in power shortages in my area, as a matter of fact right after I installed a APC back up system for the comp,I mean within minutes, we lost power again.
I started to check out what was out there, of course monster, rotel and the others have there own power conditioner with battery back up build in for a nice but hefty price!
So today while I was comp USA I came a cross of APC back up system ( on sale since the are going out of bussiness) which was a little different  from the others. That model had a voltage regulator build in which will bring back the voltage back to 110 Volts if there was a drop of 12% or more on the line. For $ 89.00 that back up system  I could be add it to my line conditoner, it seems to be a decend protection for a good price.
What do you guys think about it?

They are "pricey", but as an example, check out "Minuteman". I use two Pro-1500's with huge twin batteries. These are, however, "isolated", and the amps only see conditioned power through the batteries. Regardless, the further you can isolate the system from the wall, and give yourself 15 seconds or so to shut down when the power is acting up or going down, the better off you (and your equipment) will be.

Two things I've picked up in reading various threads on this subject.

First, some power conditioners generate nominal voltage output regardless of the AC input signal. I'm running a 1500 VA APC battery backup system like this for my computer system. I've read that some systems of this type do a better job than others in the output signal sinewave generation. Since I've not invested in this yet and the computer stuff works great 24/7 including all types of power "events" I've never looked into what my system generates. It just works. APC also makes several home audio/video conditioners some of which have battery backup. There are many other types you could find by searching here on this forum or by Googling with various parameters. I just found this one on sale and it has worked flawlessly for my computer system and components.

Second, several folks have posted they have the battery backup flavor of conditioner to keep the fan blowing for cooldown in their home theater projection systems in the event of a power outage. Sounds like this is a consideration to avoid premature lamp damage, but I don't have such a system so have not researched this. I guess the drill would be to loose power, battery backup kicks in, you realize power is off to the rest of the house and do a controlled shutdown preserving battery juice for the lamp fan.

Isolation transformers as Wayne mentioned could also be an important part of the equation. Bottom line for me is I need to get something installed with more protection than just the line strip surge protector I have now in the near-term and fine tune later. I'm getting tired of unplugging everything each time thunderstorms threaten.

Let us know what you come up with.

"Isolation transformers as Wayne mentioned could also be an important part of the equation. Bottom line for me is I need to get something installed with more protection than just the line strip surge protector I have now in the near-term and fine tune later. I'm getting tired of unplugging everything each time thunderstorms threaten."

Me too, guilty as charged. What does IndyKlipschFan use? He's got racks of stuff....I think he believes in APC protection

"That model had a voltage regulator build in which will bring back the voltage back to 110 Volts if there was a drop of 12% or more on the line. For $ 89.00 that back up system  I could be add it to my line conditoner, it seems to be a decend protection for a good price.
What do you guys think about it?"

Initally it sounds like a voltage regulator, but the mention of back up system implies a UPS device...one that can produce electricity for a short period of time....even if you unplug it from the wall.

1.  You will need to review the VA rating of the device as well as inventory what the VA comsumption is for the intended use.  The VA rating cab be obtained near the UL label of your devices.

2. Inexpensive voltage generating devices such as home grade computer UPS often do not generate a pure sine wave form of electricity.  As the demand on the voltage generating device approaches and passes what the device is rated at, the resulting decaying clipped sine wave, could reduce dynamics.

I have invested in various surge/filtering/conditioning/regulating devices...

Notably from Exact Power, PS Audio, TrippLite , Chang Lightspeed and Monster. A little investment in a quality protection is worth the peace of mind,and good quality power conditioners a must to reveal what the system can do.

Point well taken !

I should have mentioned that the idea was indeed to be able to power down the system in case of a power shortage as well as having a proper cool down time for the projector. I also wanted to be able to preserve my settings  so I wouldn't  have to reset everything  every time I loose power.
I guess I step right into that topic didn't I? you get what you pay for.
I did buy the APC  so I will put it in the system, just to see how it affects it and let you know.
I will probably end up putting it on the projector by itself, since the main concern was the cool time. That should not affect the projector much, right?