POST CRUISE DEPRESSION

BigStewMan

I just returned home from a 16-day roundtrip cruise from Los Angeles to Hawaii. It was an incredible trip! I'm sitting here looking at my suitcases and feeling some serious depression. It actually started yesterday, when I realized that this great trip was nearly over. Two weeks isn't a long time; however, onboard the ship, it was enough time in a restricted location to start forming some bonds with new friends--including some of the crew. My wife and I hung out nearly every evening in this piano bar on the ship, as did a few other "regulars." The servers recognized us and knew what we drank, we exchanged stories about where we were from etc...(most of the crew are from foriegn countries). It was really hard to say goodbye to them, probably because I know that I most likely will never see any of them again (no plans on going to the Ukraine, India, or the Philipines). Maybe i'm going through a mid-life crisis or something. I'm fortunate to have a family and a home---but, I didn't want to come home. That's my sob story.

Stew-if you want to feel really bad, imagine coming home to Michigan! Horrible economy, declining housing prices, snow on Easter but not on Christmas, it's raining and really grey outside today!!! [li]

I know what you mean about how it feels when a great vacation comes to an end. I usually start feeling it during the last couple of days when I realize that this great time is coming to an end. Then you get home and reality really sinks in. Why don't you start thinking about and planning your next trip? That would take your mind off of things for a bit and get you looking forward to what you just came home from... Food for thought.

I'd love to see some pics from your trip. LA to Hawaii sounds incredible!

-David

• Moderators

Stew,

I can completely relate to how you are feeling. I feel the same way after each return trip from the mountains. I usually start getting depressed the day before we leave to come home.

On our trip to Hope in June of last year I was extremely sad to realize that we were leaving such good friends after having only spent two or three days with most of them. The Forum has allowed me to keep in touch with a few of those we met, however it is just not the same and seeing our Klipsch friends in person. For me, the audio hobby is one thing, but the lifelong friendships formed are the main reason for visiting the Forum and attending the Pilgramage.

As far as cruise depression I can also relate to that. Back on December 9, 2006 we had the triple wedding, (dtel and I renewed our 28 year vows, and two other couples wed). We left December 10 for a six day cruise, came home 12/25 was my birthday and Christmas and then we had a New Year's Eve Party. Seeing old friends at the triple wedding (some that we haven't seen for almost 20 years), relaxing in an almost "unreachable" environment, on a six day cruise, with only close family (each in their own staterooms), snorkeling for the very first time and meeting crew members that we spent time with every day and would never see again, was a lot for me to handle. Returning home seven days before Christmas (traditionally a huge event at our house (and Christmas is also my birthday), hosting a large gathering for New Years and then......NOTHING. What a let down....we immediately planned a week trip to the Smokies, which ended up as a trip for dtel to recover from his appendectomy. This was still a wonderful time, as we spent time with our neighbors, who are also our best friends (Mr. Sonny, our neighbor walked me down the aisle for the triple wedding).

We have now planned another cruise for April 2008, nothing as nice as Hawaii, but nice enough for us. And...we will probably make our annual "Pilgramage" to the Smoky Mountains.

I started a thread under General Questions, "Let's go on a cruise"....take a look, maybe you and yours can plan to make that trip. Just a thought....I agree with what's already been said....start planning your next trip, even if it is a weekend trip....