What Are These?

Gilbert

Gilbert - I think they really look nice put together. Assuming those red Genelex labels come off ;). Did you tweak anything else in the guts besides the V-caps? And what are the little tubes again? I think I might upgrade my caps while mine are at his shop. Do you have any interesting plans to break those caps in - like putting lesser power tubes in there and letting them run a bit, etc?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gilbert - I think they really look nice put together. Assuming those red Genelex labels come off ;). Did you tweak anything else in the guts besides the V-caps?

Thank you for the compliment. My gut feeling was that the wood would contrast the gold nicely. As for the guts, I believe the resistor's have tighter tolerances, and the wiring is point to point (hence the waiting for Craigs Afgahnistan connection), but I don't believer there's a noticable accustical advantage with either of these. They just give me a warm fuzzy.

And what are the little tubes again? I think I might upgrade my caps while mine are at his shop.

I believe Craig put-in the 1950's Telefunkens ECC803S (12AX7) and ECC802S (12AU7) tubes, at least, that's what they look like, but I also sent Craig a host of other signal and power tubes (TungSol's, Genalex's, Mullards, Philips Miniwatts and more).

Do you have any interesting plans to break those caps in - like putting lesser power tubes in there and letting them run a bit, etc?

No, I'm definitely not going to burn those amps in with the GoldLion KT88's. My intent is to purchase a Quad of less desireable (cheaper) TungSol 6550's. I'm still going to stick with nos tubes, but I'll be looking for the either the solid gray plate or gray with holes. The other tubes are 10,000 hour tubes, so I'm not too concerned with using them to break the amps in. For what it's worth, IMHO, the best power tube I've ever listened to, is the TungSol 6550 with solid black plate. None better, but again, that's JMHO.

I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of these amps for the rest of my life. They will forever be mated to my Blueberry Xtreme. The tuner for now is a tweaked MR71, CD player is a Ah! Joeb tweaked to the gills, and my TT is a Thoren TD124 MkII. Allan refinished an Orig. Thoren's plinth for me, and it looks killer diller. Once I get the system setup, I'll post better pic's.

My next mission is to doctor up a pair of vintage 64 Khorns that these amps will be feeding till the day I croak.

EDIT:

Just got off the phone with Craig, there are a few other features he included, but he went over my head. Said something about slow start-up and something about a power supply transformer. Whatever it was, it sure sounded good.... [:P]

Yup rip them Genalex labels off and lose about $800 bucks in value [;)] People pay gobs of money for those tubes!!

The amps are outfitted with about $1600 to $1800 worth of NIB NOS tubes.

4- NIB NOS Gold Lion Genalex KT-88 output tubes

2- NIB NOS Mullard GZ-34/5AR4 Rectifiers

2- NIB NOS Telefunken ECC-803S 12AX7's

2- NIB NOS Telefunken ECC-802S 12AU7's

This was a spare no expense no hold barred build up!!

WOW.

First, Meagain gets a flag for illegal procedure. Removing the labels off of an NOS quad of Genelex? 50 lashes for you, girl[;)]

Craig.....I think your estimate is just a little bit low[:)]

And Gil - those are SOOOOOOO pimped out as to require a complete search of all of the contents. Anything that good is usually illegal[:D]

Guest " "

Allan Songer

"They're just super selected, tested and rebranded Brimars "

Thats intresting.....I'm thinking about buying some Brimars.

Any criteria recomendations and or good sources...there's a seller on audigon which claim to be the brimar guru's.

Evil tempter, be gone. Thou is a foul and odoriforous heathanistic creature, BE GONE!!. [;)]..... I've spent enough money on tubes.

Oh, only 9 hours left, gotta go.

I'll tell you one thing I have noticed. These V-cap Teflons are very pesky even more so the the Sonicap platinum's!! The amps are just now beginning to sound like VRD's. Not sure why these caps are so drastically different upon fire up but they surely are improving. Glad I'm going to get to play them until Monday... but from what I hear it really takes like 400 hours for them to really open up. Hard for me to figure because it technically makes little sense! When I used Auricaps they always took a couple days but this is extreme.