Monster HTS 5000 good or not for Amps?

eglinski

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Kelly,

I'm going to plug my amps back into the Jon Risch filter after I change it's PC with an unshielded 18Ga cable.

According to Jon, if you use the specified chokes (and I did) then there should not be a noticible difference.

But you can keep your El34. What I'm jonesing for is your preamp on audiogon....

Ahh....the ole Cary SLP-70 ad. I think it just went down the other day. Regardless, I had about 15 people interested in that beast; it goes to show you what a good ad will do and that ad was about as over-the-top as they come. I think it's the only thing online about the Cary SLP-70, the preamp that was partnered with the original Cary 300se Monoblocks, the first real commercial single-ended amps to be shown to the public back in the late 80s. In fact, my other modified Cary SLP-70 is the actual preamp that was taken to the CES and other shows the year the Cary 300se monos were shown. It looks quite a bit different in the interior vs the stock unit. For those interested in seeing this page(the unit is under sale pending), I have it here:

Cary SLP-70 w/ Phono and Outboard Power Supply

All the pictures click to full 1200 pixel high resolution versions including closeups of the circuit. I have a loon in Quebec that is hoping to make this a late Christmas present.

And then we have ye olde Kevin S and his double-blind listening test option. The odds are stacked big against me here as his system is about as unoptimized as you can get in several ways. It is a Home Theater setup (something I find ironic since these posts are occuring in the two-channel forum), but alas, I did say I could do it. I love his reliance on semantics for his retort; according to Kevin, I should just mail him the amp which is a fitting response given 95% of his postings I have read via this forum. There are certain people in here that I just dont see eye to eye with on just about any front and he is on that list. I guess a six hour drive is in order although I have heavy reservations concerning the validity of double-blind testing. We'll have to discuss that. For those interested in other opinions on the HTS-5000, I found the responses rather amusing over in Audio Review. It seems more than a few were rather displeased with the affects on their power amp. The same hold true for the HTS-3500.

For now, take a look at this Q&A page at Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity. See Monster Cable's Factory response for more amusement:

Q I just recently purchased Monster Cable's HTS 5000 Power conditioner/surge protector. I purchased it so that I could hopefully protect my gear, improve performance, and possibly eliminate a slight hum problem. The heart of my home theater A/V system is Sunfire's Cinema Grand, Theater Grand II, Sony's KL-53XBR45 RPTV, Carver TCBM-15 2x100 wpc, HHB 850 CDR, and

Polk's PSW-1200. I have several other components (turntables, DVD, VCR, LD, Mixer/pre-amp, etc, but these aren't necessarily hi-end expensive).

I have two concerns: First, a salesman told me that the Monster Conditioner could "limit current output," thereby weakening my system's performance. He said a previous customer complained about this problem while using Mark Levinson amps. Monster confirmed that it could be an issue.....

The other concern is that I wish to plug all of my really expensive gear into this power conditioner. Can a typical home outlet withstand such a load just because it is run through a conditioner? The expensive components (amps, TV) all have large power consumption ratings (>300W). I would actually love to plug everything into the power conditioner, but I don't wish to overload the circuit...

A If you want to plug everything into power conditioners, I would suggest buying more than one. It sounds like you would overload the single conditioner with all that equipment. I realize this is an additional expense, but it is minor compared to what you have spent on the components...

f>s>

While I dont find myself drawn to Home Theater sites, especially since I am not given to mixing audio and video, I found this post interesting. It actually doesnt really answer my points on the matter but it does illustrate the concerns, even those shared by the Manufacturer. I would take it one step farther and preclude plugging an amp into a single conditioner of this type, especially one of high voltage as the filter style is bound to affect sonics.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 12-24-2001 at 11:16 AM

Mobile, save your time and keep your amp, if you wish. You are making excuses for your potential (and probable) failure before you have even tried. Your words:

"The odds are stacked big against me here as his system is about as unoptimized as you can get in several ways." and "I have heavy reservations concerning the validity of double-blind testing. We'll have to discuss that".

Before I took you up on your challenge, you had no caveates in your pronouncement. But now, the excuses start to flow.

I have not called for double blind testing. There are only two requirements. YOU cannot know if the HTS5000 is in the system or not and levels must be matched. However else you wish to conduct the test is up to you.

1. You wanted to be shown a system where the HTS 5000 made no difference in the sound of the system. I have shown you one.

2. We are supposed to take your word for the things you say you hear, yet you are not willing to take my word for what I say I hear (or don't hear in this case).

Beleive me, this is not about getting a free amp. This is about you pronouncing your opinions as fact and belittling those individuals and their systems whose opinions do not match yours. The opinion part would be fine, we are all entitled to our opinion. It is your belittling of others that I find intolerable and which requires rebuttal, IMHO.

As for my using "semantics", I think all I have done is responded to the words you have written. Words have meaning, and if you have used the words improperly, that is your problem. For example, asking to be "shown" a system, is not the same as asking to "hear" a system. It has nothing to do with semantics.

But you know all of this. You just have backed yourself into corner and don't know how to get out. It happens to all of us from time to time. I think I have made the points I wished to make and am perfectly willing to let you out of the corner, if you wish.

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

First, on a minor point, is there some reason we have to see your equipment list on every post? I agree that it is very usable if inserted once (or maybe twice)per thread, but to come up every entry is much wasted space.

No, I am not backing down on this offer at all. In fact, I just said I suppose a drive up to your abode is in order, did I not? Obviously, you dont understand the use of the words "relying on semantics" for an argument. Even in your defense, you back my point up by illustrating the hinge on a words usage that was used in a casual manner.

All this is unimportant really. Yes, I would be more than happy to take you up on your offer. I suppose I did word my response in a rather imprecise manner as there are many systems that can mask differences in gear, a point that I have made time and time again. I did not word my post very carefully, perhaps because it was half tongue in cheek anyway and not meant as the Bob Carver Challenge. Alas, I would find it very educational to follow you up on it. Perhaps, you would allow me to tweak your setup a bit before hand...maybe not. If not, that is fine. I'll give it a go as is if you need.

kh

First, the equipment listing is placed in the signature when I set up my preferences for this board, and is done automatically when I post. Sorry you don't like it. I find it useful when used by others.

Second, nowhere in my post did I imply or state that you were backing down on anything. I offered you the opportunity to save yourself the time and your amp, since I felt that I had made my points, and that is not the same as saying you were backing down, now is it?

Third, You may tweak to your heart's content. But that kind of defeats the purpose of listening to a system that isn't affected by the HTS5000 doesn't it? You were pretty clear that you had never heard any system whose amplifiers were't affected by power conditioners, and wanted to be shown one that wasn't. Wouldn't "tweaking" be changing the system? Be that as it may, I stand by my only two rules: no peeking at the equipment once you've started and levels must be matched.

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

I'm alive and well Kelly, just checking in to this BB everyday reading everyones opinion. trying to gain knowledge the HTS5000 is under the tree I think I got it for a good price $369 from Global Market(online) also Ive read a very positive reveiw on the HTS5000 at The Stereo times archives oct 2001 online and the reviewer praised the unit up and down saying it was like a couple of upgrades in a speaker line with IMPROVED dynamics, clarity, bass and quieter backround. Go figure!!?? Anyway, my sisters house was stuck by lightning last year, no one was home thank God but there was a fire and most all of her electronics were tosted It made me start thinking of protecting my considerable investment of audio equipment.. In the past year Ive been setting up 2 ch. in a new room, along with the Cary SLI-80 sig. ive upgraded my 16 yr. old K-Horns with damping horns- Alk networks-custom woofers-upgraded mid squawker driver and Mit terminater2 bi-wire. most upgrades have beenfound on this BB thanks to everyone, I really love the sound Im using an Adcom GCD-700 changer to me it is pretty good. any advice on a good DAC that would noticebly improve what Im hearing would be appreacieated. Or a better sounding changer? Im always looking to upgrade,where it counts. MERRY-XMAS Ed PS Kelly, Im thinking about tube rolling my Cary I would value your Opinion I believe that it is tube rectified also. cwm44.gif

This message has been edited by eglinski on 12-24-2001 at 02:48 PM

What is it that you hear about the Adcom changer

that makes you want a outboard DAC, ED?

Curious.

(There are so many of these damn things to chose from,

kits, tube types, non-oversampling, its scary.)

Kelly, I've been down to Charlotte(Misspelled?)

Nice folks down there, would have like to seen the coast.

You were probably on the west side of Washington state

when you were here last, next time you visit, check

the San Juan islands, you won't regret it.

I live on the east side near Spokane, nice parts

up about 60 miles north of here.

We went up last Saturday near Usk, they got a little

more snow up there.

We were near north/south Skookum lakes driving on the roads when we got stuck.

You gotta pay attention to those little signs

with snowmobiles on them, drove about 200ft on

the trail and sank.

We had fun though.

(Sigh.) Maybe next year I'll stash some flow, and possibly

find a tube kit to assemble.

But I want it to be a good design with upgrading

allowed in the design.

I am not going to do this until I research the topic,

to get a better feeling on how valves/circuits work.

Only then I will feel comfortable enough to

take such a venture.

The close as I get to tube gear is a Carver sda/490t

'Vacuum reference' cd player, that I tortured

with mods.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

cwm5.gif