If ***** ****** were still alive what album would you play for them?

I don't think I've ever seen a thread like this but if someone has already done one I apologize. I'll start.

If Randy Rhoads were still alive I'd play him Yngwie J. Malmsteen's debut album titled Rising Force. I think that he'd really get a kick out of the way Yngwie incorporated deep classical technique and theory to instrumental metal guitar. Ritchie Blackmore kinda touched on this, Randy took it to a whole new level and Yngwie just blew the doors off. I'd never heard such precise picking technique, amazing speed and sweep-picked arpeggios before. It's been 23 years since Rising Force came out and there are a million Yngwie clones but at the time this album probably made just as many guitarists throw their axe away as it did inspire a whole wave of neo-classical musicians. I always get kinda sad that he never got to hear this album.

Now who wants to go next?

The Rising Force album is primarily instrumental and should definitely be the first one to pick up. I didn't mean for the thread to be just about Randy Rhoads though. The "***** ******" was just a way of saying insert dead musician here and go from there. For instance if Jimi Hendrix were resurrected from the grave I think an obvious album to play for him would be Stevie Ray Vaughan's Couldn't Stand The Weather. I'm not sure what he'd think about that. Something a little more left of center would be Maggotbrain by Funkadelic. I think the first track would put a smile on Jimi's face.

I don't think I've ever seen a thread like this but if someone has already done one I apologize. I'll start.

If Randy Rhoads were still alive I'd play him Yngwie J. Malmsteen's debut album titled Rising Force. I think that he'd really get a kick out of the way Yngwie incorporated deep classical technique and theory to instrumental metal guitar. Ritchie Blackmore kinda touched on this, Randy took it to a whole new level and Yngwie just blew the doors off. I'd never heard such precise picking technique, amazing speed and sweep-picked arpeggios before. It's been 23 years since Rising Force came out and there are a million Yngwie clones but at the time this album probably made just as many guitarists throw their axe away as it did inspire a whole wave of neo-classical musicians. I always get kinda sad that he never got to hear this album.

Now who wants to go next?

No need to play it, as I suspect they both got allot of their inspiration from the Dixie Dregs and Steve Morse (et al)

And why would you play Jimi (or anyone for that matter) something that is, in effect, a copy of his style? Now there's a disincentive to come back![:P]

I mean, we could play Paul Simon a copy of the San Diego String Quartet's version of Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits, but I suspect that would kill him!

[:o]

I got the Rising Force album 15 years ago. As a 35 year
guitarist I hear it a bit differently than I non-guitarist, I think;
but my impression is that this is the very best of the fast guitar
players - some can play faster but no where near as well. The execution
is flawless, the tone is perfect, the compositions nicely complex, and
the choice of notes is thoughtfull and musical. Others I have heard
play dumb songs, their tone is sub par, and their soloing is primative.
Malmsteen does not play fast just to be fast, he plays fast to express
a musical idea very effectively and his sense of what is appropriate
for a passage is dead on insightfull.

Listening to the Rising Force
album one thinks after each song. "Wow, that was amazing!"; then the
next song takes one even further. As opposed to other high speed
players, his ability seems to be effortless and without strain - just
when you think he is approaching his top capability he plays a passage
that just exceeds that with profound technique and penetrating
musicianship. This happens over and over in the Rising Force album which makes it so much a joy to hear.

Beware of listening to this album while driving - you will get yourself a speeding ticket in no time...

If Randy Rhoads were still alive, I'd have him go ask Ozzy why he's pumpin' off that bubble-gum pop metal crap.......

Malmsteen's guitar work is excellent. Worth checking out if one hasn't.

A-friggan-men!

When it comes to Yngwie Malmsteen - you are friggan preaching to the choir here! This old metal head has always had a huge appreciation for all that he did. There is no doubt that guy had some serious talent.

Glad to see he get some serious mention on here in the sea of jazz and classical.

If Elvis Pesley were alive... I would go through his own albums... Explain to him they are on this different format now called a CD... Talk to him about each one to get a sense of how all of this really happened. (his life story) Collect the money for "Finding Elvis" ..split it.. Tell him to update his house...( LOL) Go get Ann Margret (hubba hubba even today!!) go down to Florida and plan the reunion tour 2008 in Vegas... and tell him WOW, your richer today than you ever imagined!

Where is that peanut butter and banana sandwich?

This is far from an audiophile recording so don't pay an arm and a leg for it. I can't see it sounding any better than just a normal pressing. Will you like it? That depends. Do you like instrumental neo-classical metal guitar? This is considered the holy grail of the style and would be perfect if it those two vocal tracks were excluded. HERE is the All Music Guide link to the album with samples.

• 2 weeks later...

It is worth more than just hearing... it will grow on you!

I
estimate YM plays about 30,000 notes in this album and it takes a while
to get some of what is happening even on a high level. The more you
listen to it the more you will like it. It is a true classic, and quite
timeless...

I might add that as far as beautiful screaming
guitar tone goes, YM has it locked in perfectly - his tone is dead on
perfect for this style of playing; it takes a little bite in the high
end to allow one to play this fast and still get the sound of each note
articulated just right. Even on breif bursts exceeding 20 notes per
second (!) his timing, choice of notes, and voicing is just right.

If you ever have a "down" day and need a lift, this record will do the trick - there are few like it. Glad you found it.