Lonestar Audio Fest May 4-6, Dallas, Texas

Maxxhorn Immersion.

"MaxxHorn is much
more than a single point source driver in a horn loudspeaker. It would be a
total waste of our time to market merely another "me too",
product. Designer Johan van Zyl has developed a truly unique high efficiency (100db) wide-bandwidth tractrix horn!
The driver in the Immersion was selected
and then uniquely implemented, to provide superb tonality, coherence,
clarity, and phase accuracy. When, the driver is coupled to our unique
wide bandwidth tractrix horn design, the Immersion covers almost seven
octaves (far greater than the traditionally accepted norm of 3-4
octaves
for horn loudspeaker design), resulting in solid bass performance to
45Hz,
courtesy of our exclusive BASSMAXX Technology."

post-18740-13819330742056_thumb.jpg

So, how in the world did I miss this ?

Dang, I gotta start paying attention !<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Rob (senility is the pits I dont think Im gonna outgrow it, either [:$] )

$500 a pair.

How did those DIY speakers sound, those look like the same ones our friend Arthurs has in Ft. Worth. Danny Richie/GR Research?

Travis

The room wasn't kind to them. They lost about 50% of their bass according to Frank who built them. Plans can be found here.

The room wan't kind to the Maxxhorns either. Ouch! One of the worst sounds of the show, IMO. It probably should have been loads better but the room or something was doing terrible things to the bass and mid-bass. I didn't understand why they had those things out in the middle of the room. Guess it sounded really bad further back!

OTOH, the AudioKinesis 'Jazz Modules' were VERY nice! Driven by an absolutely gorgeous (and gorgeous sounding) Richard Grays 18wpc SET amp. Maybe someone will post a photo.

The Art Audio setup was also stunning. All of the above way beyond my means, of course, but it's fun.

Hobbiest 'Brad' was showing off his scratch-built Hawthorne open baffle setup. Very nice sound. Ginger Baker - Toad (Live at Royal Albert Hall) had them thumping. He was driving the coaxials with a rebuilt Scott 222C and using a cheap plate amp on the woofers.

Pi Speakers had their corner horn set up. Not much impression of these. They hold no candle to Klipsch, even though Pi does make some quality stuff at good prices.

Rick

• 11 months later...

Ok, where were these? I obviously,

a: Went to a different show

b: Drank way too much beer way too early...Thanks Matt! ***This is the most probable answer.***

c: Only made it to about half the rooms, cause I don't remember the systems in these pictures...they may have shut their doors when they saw me coming (see b: above)

On the other hand I had a great time. Met Ron C again and PM for the first time (he made me drink beer too...ok, ale so it really doesn't count--right? Ale is one of the 3 major food groups according to Matt.)

Then, the rest of the group made me drink Gin and Tonics and eat Cajun food at Dodies. Got to meet the gamut of audiophiles from true geeks to true believers. Best of all, I got exposed to people who made me look more normal and THAT's important.

I had such a good time that now I'm thinking seriously about going to the Rocky Mountain Audio Insanity Fair in Denver in October.

Well, I went to the show on fri, sat and sun. Could never figure out who the Klipschters even were!

We have to wear nametags or something....

Did not see the linear array speakers while there, i think they were in a room not open to public?

Also never say those first speakers that were shown.

Oh well, next time, we have to make better plans on how to recongize each other...

Paul