Finally found some Cornwalls... need advice now

two dot

Ok, as some of you may know I have been searching high and low for a pair of CW on the west coast.  I found a pair today, I picked up a pair of one owner 1978 ( I think, "S" serial #)  RB CW's that have had one coat of medium stain.

I paid $700.00, which was a lot more than I wanted to pay, but they were 5 minutes away, and I wanted a pair...

I have then hooked up and they sound great...  but being the anal person that I am, I want new crossovers, refinished cabs etc.

Please advise.

The grills are close to perfect, so that, at least is not an issue.  I do want these to sound the very best that they can.

I will be driving them with a McIntosh SS amp.

I really appreciate all of you on this forum and look forward to your advice.

I saw a thread not too long ago about a guy doing a beautiful refinishing job, if someone can point to be that thread that would be great.

Thanks, Two Dot

Ditto...unless the cabinets are bad off, leave 'em alone for the time being and enjoy their sonics for awhile.

I believe Greg Roberts (http://forums.klipsch.com/members/greg928gts.aspx) is a master woodworker who also builds cabinets on the side; he may be able to at least answer your cabinet restoration questions, or point you in the right direction with another forum member(s) who does.

I got mine in 75, 30 some odd years later did the tube thing. Not much I can say (bottom jaw still on the floor) IMHO sounds so sweet did the next step. Went to new B networks..........really hard to type this out....... it's like I need both hands to keep from looking like a Drolling Corn Addict!

Gotta get more!

I've got some '78 Cornies, too. But don't waste any time. Get those capacitators replaced (two 2uFs and two 4ufs, I believe). Bob Crites (BEC) here will sell you an easy DIY XO rebuild kit that will give you all you need to bring 'em back to spec for a VERY decent price. That's all you need right now.

The ALK universal XO is a pretty good piece of change, and I've never heard them so I can't comment, but I can tell you that changing the capacitators in mine was like turning on the lights.

Congratulations! $700 is a fair price, especially considering local pick-up. You will enjoy them!

Thanks PM,

As you know, you are one of the reasons I wanted the CW's.  I always value your thoughts and opinions.

I will  get with Crites and get a kit ordered asap... you are saying thats the best way to go?

Thanks,

Stephen

Thanks PM,

As you know, you are one of the reasons I wanted the CW's. I always value your thoughts and opinions.

Uh oh. Boy are YOU in trouble!

I will get with Crites and get a kit ordered asap... you are saying thats the best way to go?

Thanks,

Stephen

For right now, yes. If you are an eternal tinkerer, or possess the "Audiophile Golden Ear" (I don't... too many small, brass encased explosions at ear level as a young man), or are a perfectionist, other XO upgrades are worth exploring. But the Cornwall (not the II or III) with the simple XO really benefits from just the caps being replaced. Night and day.

Open 'em up and take a picture of your XO and send it to Bob for new caps (I say that because things seemed to change sometimes on slow days in Hope). He's a great guy to work with.

I just ordered the upgraded crossover and also the tweeter upgrade.

What can I say, I only want to do this once.

So far, hooked up to the Mc, the sound good.  Not great.  I am hoping the new Xovers will be a big help.

I am going to need some help with room placement I think.  I had my old speakers really dialed in on placement.  I am not sure what to do with these huge boxes... suggestions??

Many of us around here feel that the Crites tweeter is ANYTHING but an upgrade. Your ears will tell you what you prefer, but PLEASE don't call the Crites tweeter an "upgrade"-- they are an alternative to be sure and many prefer them. To my ears the are shrill and sound disembodied from the rest of the speaker. I tried them for three days. Three ear-bleeding days.

I just ordered the upgraded crossover and also the tweeter upgrade.

What can I say, I only want to do this once.

So far, hooked up to the Mc, the sound good. Not great. I am hoping the new Xovers will be a big help.

I

am going to need some help with room placement I think. I had my old

speakers really dialed in on placement. I am not sure what to do with

these huge boxes... suggestions??

Just do the crossovers first and see what you think. I really doubt you need his tweeters, and Bob will certainly take 'em back unopened.

As for placement, I've got mine in the corners of a 14' wall,

toed in 45 degrees (just as Paul Klipsch recommended). I put 3/8th

inch glass on top of them (with glass spacers to protect the wood) so

that SWMBO could place a lamp and such on top of them. They blend in

real well that way.

Posted Image

Many of us around here feel that the Crites tweeter is ANYTHING but an upgrade. Your ears will tell you what you prefer, but PLEASE don't call the Crites tweeter an "upgrade"-- they are an alternative to be sure and many prefer them. To my ears the are shrill and sound disembodied from the rest of the speaker. I tried them for three days. Three ear-bleeding days.

Allan,

It would probably be more accurate to say "most prefer them". Just a subjective preference though. Is it upsetting to you that other folks think they are an upgrade to the K77? My best advice, just think of yourself as making the minority report as a result of your very good taste.[;)]

Some certainly still prefer the K77. I found that putting the CT-125s in my LS helped the top end a lot, to blend better with the mid, and I still brought the mids down some more to balance it all out.

If you try them, and decide you don't like them, they will be pretty easy to resell.

Bruce

I did not mean to start anything here by calling them an upgrade.  Sorry.

I kinda wish now that I had left them alone... I just really didn't want to open up the cabinet twice.

I am starting to really tire of working on my system.  I really just want to sit back and...

Enjoy the music!!!!!

If you refurbish the networks you might not wish to change out the tweeters. Perhaps just new diaphrams in the K77's might liven them up one more notch. Changing out multiple items at the same time does not afford the opportunity to really notice the change from each mod.

Again- listen for 30 days unaltered. Then be my guest.

Michael