Upgrading my HT speaker system on a budget

SpartanDale

I currently am running a Denon AVR2800 A/V receiver (85 watts/channel) into 4 Quintets (wall-mounted, 2 front/2 back), a KSW10 sub, and an SC.5 center channel. The system is located in a 12' x 20' bedroom (our TV room). The sub sounds great, but I'd like to provide better sound elsewhere. I've been hearing good things about the KLF-C7 center, but don't want to overpower the rest of the system. Does anyone have recommentation as to what I could do, say for under $1000?

Thanks,

Spartan Dale

well! for under a thousand, you could certainly improve your main speakers and use your quintets for the sides and rears, speakers are the only bargain in audio, you get the most bang for your buck, buy some used Reference or Heritage models and you won't look back ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

This message has been edited by Colin on 12-16-2001 at 03:06 PM

Not to butt in on SpartanDale's question, but I have a similar situation to his. Right now, I've got an Onkyo TX-DS595 running quintets and a KSW-12 in a 20'x14' room. I'd like to upgrade to References, but maybe not all at once due to budget. With what I've got right now, could I update, in stages, and not kill the sound of my system? I'm thinking about replacing the quintet center with an RC-3 to start out with. Then, trading my fronts with RF-3IIs. A little later, trade the rears for RS-3s. Does this make sense, or is it a bad idea to do this one at a time?

b-man, I was just kidding, I knew what you meant. Spartan, the C7 would, in my opinion, definitely be too much, and would be hard to afford matching fronts on your budget. You could probably get a full Synergy System, or part of a reference (RF-3's, and RC-3) in your price range. Which brings up mamacmil's question. Nothing wrong with doing it in stages. I know I could never do it all at once. Again though, doing the center first might overpower the rest of the system. If you can't do the front three all at once, I'd replace the fronts first, if you can swing it right away. Plus you'll get a little more instant gratification. Just one man's opinion, though.

I agree with toddvj. You will definitely get more benefit from your system if you upgrade the front l/r and then the center later if money doesn't allow for all 3 at once. I may be showing a slight 2 channel bias here, but your front l/r are always running whereas the center is used only during multi-channel audio and movies.

------------------

My System So Far:

Fronts: KLF 10 (Med. Oak)

Center: KLF C7 (Med. Oak)

Surrounds: Def. Tech BP6

Sub: SW-12II (Black Ash)

Receiver: H/K AVR 25II

DVD: Panasonic DVDR31S

CD: Yamaha CDC 655

For under $1000, you could upgrade to the SB-3's and SC-1 and use your Quintets as surrounds.

You could also look at the Synergy 6 sans the sub

I guess you could also get into the Reference line if you only buy a Center and, say, two bookshelf speakers for fronts...how nice to upgrade. Good luck

I must concur with Colin and suggest you use your current speakers as surrounds. Pick up a pair of heritage Heresys for your mains. If budget is a real problem you can stay there for awhile. The Heresy's will nicely create a phantom centre channel. Then purchase another Heresy for your center. It would be a great system on a shoe string budget. The surrounds will provide mainly ambient sound so their tonal match with the Heresys will not be an issue.

SpartanDale,

Let me know if you are interested in selling your quintets (even if only 2 of them) and sc.5 center. I am starting to put together a system for the bedroom. upgrading the center channel and front l and r should be your focus. Surrounds can wait for the budget to catch up. If you are wanting to go reference you can do the three fronts for about $800.00 depending on where you get the speakers.

Keith