OK, Here goes. I'm new to the forum.

JerolW

Hi everyone. I've been enjoying reading the post for a few weeks now and have finally got the gumption up to post.

I'm not new to Klipsch speakers, owning a pair of Cornwalls I purchased in 1976. I've owned Heresys and Khorns in the past, but have never given up on my Cornwalls.

Some of the stuff I read I understand, but most of the technical jargon is Way over my head. But I'm catching on.

I spoke with Mr. Colter and received interesting info regarding types of Cornwals and a possible Xover replacement from Bob Crites.

Here's the question - Is it necessary to replace the Xovers, even though they still sound exceptional? Do they wear out?

OK, two questions.

Yours Klipschally,

Jerol

Jerol,

Welcome to the forum.  You don't have to replace the crossovers, but you should at least replace the capacitors in the crossovers.  Yours are over 30 years old and you can really only expect the capacitors to stay good for perhaps 20 years.  After that the ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) becomes large enough to effect the frequencies passed by the capacitors and even effects the impedance of the crossover circuit which moves the crossover points.  Also, at some point the old oil filled caps will start to leak and make quite a mess.

Bob Crites

• Moderators

I am no expert, but I would say Mr Colter was correct they are 30 years old.

Since no one else has answered.........I don't think it's an emergency, but the older they get the further they get from original spec.

Someone with some actual experience can give more specific reasons, I have never done it myself, just going by what I have read here 50 times.

I don't think it will blow out anything if you don't do it, but from all I have read you will hear a real difference .

EDIT : while I was typing Bob posted so there you go....[Y]

Thanks for the reply and the welcome.

Is it an easy procedure to replace capacitors? Is it scewdriver and pliers, or is a soldering iron involved?

Where do I get them and what kind??????

jerol

Jerol,

It does require soldering.  I can fix you up with a kit of the caps and mounting pads, or do the rebuild for you if you want.

Send me an email.

Bob Crites
bobcrites@mac.com

There is so much "we" all can do to make things better (what I hear). You like it, Do it!

There are always options, Yes or No, It will be in Your better interest to reach out and touch.

It is all what sounds the "Rite Now". You like, enjoy.

Sweet, or not, Matter of INHO!

I own a pair of 75 cornwalls and I replaced the crossovers with new ones from BEC. Even though the corns sounded very good beforehand the upgrade made a very good improvement in overall clarity and soundstage. I really was surprised. When I did the crossover upgrade I also replaced the internal wiring with silver strand wire and I rope caulked the HF and MF horns. My 75s have metal horns and I believe the 76 did also. Not an expensive upgrade, and well worth the bucks..

dave