Pro-amps with Klipsch...............

SWL

Anyone using this combo? I'm using Crown XLS-802'S with RF-7's and they sound incredible compared to the Denon power amps I was using previously. This is a pretty big discussion on the AVS forum but not a lot of Klipsch guys are posting. I'm a Klipsch guy all the way and new to this forum so I would like to share experiences with fellow Klipsch owners. Thanks.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone using this combo? I'm using Crown XLS-802'S with RF-7's and they sound incredible compared to the Denon power amps I was using previously. This is a pretty big discussion on the AVS forum but not a lot of Klipsch guys are posting. I'm a Klipsch guy all the way and new to this forum so I would like to share experiences with fellow Klipsch owners. Thanks.

Hi SWL

Welcome to the forum. Yes, I use a pro amp as well. Have a QSC SRA 2422 with Chorus II's and find it incredible also. Tons of power with a very tight bottom end an open midrange and a smooth top end. Very enjoyable to say the least. Been a Klipsch fan for many many years and have used mostly solid state through my journey but this pro amp is the best I've heard in my environment to date. Congrats on your successful combo and welcome again. You will find alot of great folks who share in the same enthusiasm as you.

RF-7's (Dean G'd). What does this mean? A crossover upgrade? Who or what is a Dean G ? If it's a relatively cheap way to upgrade the RF-7's I'm very interested. Thanks in advance.

RF-7's (Dean G'd). What does this mean? A crossover upgrade? Who or what is a Dean G ? If it's a relatively cheap way to upgrade the RF-7's I'm very interested. Thanks in advance.

You must have over 50 posts before we can introduce you to the elusive Mr. Dean G.

ok, jk.

I've been viewing this forum for quite some time. I knew what I was getting into. Dean G is an alien, right?

Well someone answer the guy already!!!!

Welcome.

Dean G (Wescott sp?) is a jerk crossover designer/builder/up-grader, here on the Klipsch Forum. I am not a huge RF-7 fan, but what Dean's network mod does for the seven is a thing of beauty, IMHO.

Regards,

Terry

I've been viewing this forum for quite some time. I knew what I was getting into. Dean G is an alien, right?

Welcome.

Dean G (Wescott sp?) is a jerk crossover designer/builder/up-grader, here on the Klipsch Forum. I am not a huge RF-7 fan, but what Dean's network mod does for the seven is a thing of beauty, IMHO.

Regards,

Terry

Oh, "that" guy...........I need to track him down. Just curious, what's not to like about the RF-7's? I ask this in addition to why I started this thread in the first place. With sufficient power (Crown XLS-802, 500wpc@8ohms) it is a night and day difference from the 200wpc Denon amps I was using prior. Maybe some people are not getting their money's worth out of the 7's because of lack of power to make them shine. These pro-amps are pretty affordable compared to others, lots of power and built rock-solid.

The nice thing about Crown amps is that they can handle any amount of crazy impedance loads - which the RF-7's are notorious for. The great thing is that the XLS amps are just scratching the surface of quality pro amps. The fans are a bit noisy for my tastes, but I just house my 402 in a closet down the hallway and don't have to worry about it.

Crown, Crest, QSC, and others are meant to take punishement day in day out, driving very diffficult loads that most "hi-fi" amps would burn up at. They have to endure 100% duty cycle for hours on end. No home amp that I know of will withstand this sort of abuse. That said, and the real world power numbers that they are capable of, make professinal power amplifiers the most cost effective solution for a high end home theater, 2-channel system or home built subwoofer.

I run a QSC PLXII 3102, have been running it on my RF3II's while I wait patiently for my cabinet maker to start on my new subwoofer project. When it is completed, I will hang the QSC on the subwoofer and then put my Phillips power amp back on my RF3II's. I need more funds to buy more QSC, just amazing powerhouses. [:P]

Im also building my system , and yes have a lot to learn. Currently im running to sets of CF-3s front and rear through a phase linear 400. My intent is to use a Pioneer spec 2, 250w/ch @8ohm on each set of CF-3s. They are being serviced as we speak. Im open to ideas, if im heading in the wrong direction i would like to know. I do understand everyone has an opinion . How do the Pioneers spec 2s compare to these (pro) amps . Maybe i should put my $ in a different setup. Thanks for any help

Welcome.

Regards,

Terry

Oh, "that" guy...........I need to track him down. Just curious, what's not to like about the RF-7's? I ask this in addition to why I started this thread in the first place. With sufficient power (Crown XLS-802, 500wpc@8ohms) it is a night and day difference from the 200wpc Denon amps I was using prior. Maybe some people are not getting their money's worth out of the 7's because of lack of power to make them shine. These pro-amps are pretty affordable compared to others, lots of power and built rock-solid.

Sorry, I got off track with the RF-7 rather than your pro amps question. Make no mistake, I am not opposed to SS headroom.[;)] As a matter of fact, I require it. My Klipsch Forum name should reflect the fact that I don't run 3.5wpc SET amps. I am no EE, but just an audio "good 'ol boy" having owned Klipsch for over three decades. To my math, I can dump around 1,300 wpc into the load that I drive. Sounds like pro-power amps in a LR to me, but just a bit sweeter.

Maybe some people are not getting their money's worth out of the 7's because of lack of power to make them shine. Its not about power. Just curious, what's not to like about the RF-7's? Well, at risk of offending many here, I will say (just for you) that the RF-7 midrange is like a couple of pit bulls chewing on my legs. I listened to stock 7's for about two hours (not at BB) and then the network mod for 30 mins. Thats all it took.

I do believe that your amp change was an improvement, I do agree.

Yes, I like big power amps.

Point of order: I speak of two channel systems only.

tc[:D]

Crown, Crest, QSC, and others are meant to take punishement day in day out, driving very diffficult loads that most "hi-fi" amps would burn up at. They have to endure 100% duty cycle for hours on end. No home amp that I know of will withstand this sort of abuse. That said, and the real world power numbers that they are capable of, make professinal power amplifiers the most cost effective solution for a high end home theater, 2-channel system or home built subwoofer.

I run a QSC PLXII 3102, have been running it on my RF3II's while I wait patiently for my cabinet maker to start on my new subwoofer project. When it is completed, I will hang the QSC on the subwoofer and then put my Phillips power amp back on my RF3II's. I need more funds to buy more QSC, just amazing powerhouses. [:P]

There are plenty of "home amps" that will withstand that kind of abuse and are actually better built than the pro amps. They just cost as much as a car and have names like Levinson, Krell, Classe, Bryston and McIntosh. The QSC's and Crowns are huge bargains.