Quad

tom b. 57

I just ordered the book, "Quad, The Closest Approach". Has anyone purchased this book? If so, what do you think of it? I have read glowing reviews about the writing and the data it includes, not to mention the illustrations. I was just wondering what some of the forum members think about this book. I can't wait to receive it.

Tom

Guest BobG

I have a copy and know the author and one of the primary contributors. It's a VERY nice piece with great paper stock, beautiful illustrations, excellent writing and provides a very comprehensive review of the history of Quad and the people behind it. If you are a Quad enthusiast, you'll enjoy this book.

There are a couple nice quad pieces in the Klipsch factory museum. The first tube amps I ever listened to were Quad IIs on Khorns.

Silly me, I thought you were talking about the 4 channel period as opposed to an English Power Amp. Have had the opportunity to listen to three sets of Quad's. First was the amp's through Khorns. Second was through a pair of Klipsch Epics(sp?) , third with the Quad Speaker System.

Big old tube power amps IMHO. The mids and top sounded like what we might expect. The LF had great depth, and a degree of bottom slam for a tube power amp. As I recall, they sounded great just before they caught fire[:D]

In modern times, I would love to own a pair because they have that Brit sound quility of old. For vintage tube amp collectors, the Quads are a must.

For the rest of us, they sound really good.

tc