WTB- Pair of La Scalas New England Are***

Hi there,

I'm new to this vintage speakers thing, but I'm really interested in purchasing a pair of La Scalas. I'm having trouble with a local guy from Craig's list as documented in another thread, and I'm coming up dry on e-bay and audiogon for anything around here. A couple of descent pairs in the mid west just went for $760-$830 on e-bay, but shipping would be a nightmare. I'm looking for anyone in the New England area who is looking to sell, preferably black, in a reasonable price. I've already received some very helpful advice from people on this forum, so I look forward to more good experiences in the future. Thanks in advance for any help.

-tim

Well if you are willing to drive up to Vermont, how about a pair of Speakerlab Khorns that will surely perform as good if not better than a pair of La Scala's. They are essentially identical to the Klipschorn, these have the very desirable EV T-350 tweeters, the equivalent of the K-400 cast aluminum horn with the K-55V driver. The bass bins pump out superior bass to that achievable with the smaller La Scala horn. They are finished in Walnut Oil, are built very well have minimal wear on them and can be had for about $650. The rear chambers are somewhat boarded off making corner placement not as essential to reproduce the lower octaves of bass.

I used to own them but sold them to TravisC (Wayne) on the forum and now he is looking for a home for them. PM him or me and I will provide his contact information. They come apart like Klipschorn's so the bass bins and top sections can be moved separately. I thought they sounded fabulous but I already have 4 Klipschorn's.

Here is a link to a thread about them with some photos that I took if you are interested. It would be well worth it in my humble opinion.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/533132.aspx

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to start researching this. Although with my luck someone will scoop them up before I make up my mind.

From what I read in that other thread it seems these have excellent drivers, but the x-over is of a lower quality than the original. Could a Klipsch x-over be used in these speakers, or are the design differences too great? I intend on going with active x-overs at some point, but I'm not ready yet, so if possible I would think about putting an entry level Klipsch x-over in these.

Thanks again for the heads up, I'll be in touch

-tim

Hi Tim

If you have good corners, you really
should go grab those Speakerlab K's. Should be a good step up
from a Lascala set-up. As for crossovers, don't worry about
them for now. Should be easy to upgrade in the future should you
desire to do so. If they don't suit your tastes, they should be
easy unload at somewhere near your purchase price. Good
luck.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Have you heard these as well? What were your opinions on these compared to the original Klipsch version? I have one corner that should actually be aligned perfect, the left side wouldn't be in a corner though. How much of a problem will that be?

-tim

They sound great as is, you could use a Klipsch crossover easily. You would have to adjust it slightly due to the increased efficiency of the larger T-350 tweeter. I would suggest merely replacing the stock Speakerlab crossover components with higher quality ones leaving the stock crossover points intact. The midrange and tweeter can also be controlled with the L-Pads on the front panel so you can tweek the levels to your liking something you cannot do with the La Scala or Klipschorn. They are certainly equally efficient and easy to power.

As I stated corner placement is not as critical since a good portion of the back is sealed off. (See photo compared to a '77 Klipschorn). The corner's need not be perfect just get them close, I felt that the Speakerlab bass bin generated more bass than the stock Klipschorn bin in a far from scientific by ear only test. Speakerlab custom made their own drivers for their bins, these are both originals.

Your call, for more info merely run a "Search" on the forum on Speakerlab. Dizrotus and DMan can attest to their performance as they have hands on experience with them tap them for info.

If you didn't like them the parts alone would recoup your investment, the tweeters sell for $300 - $350/pr alone. Then you still have the K-55V's and T350 horn lenses, cabinets and bass drivers.

Specs on the Speakerlab woofer:

From the Speakerlab catalog dated:
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Oct 01, 1979

Speakerlab W1508S T/S

Re = 6.8 ohms
Fs = 23.9 Hz
Mms = 76.6
Cms = .58
Vas = 612 litres
Rms = 5.06
Bl = 14.9 T-m
Qms = 2.27
Qes = .354
Qts = .306
Sd = .086 m2
REF SPL = 98.8 dB<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

There was a pair of black lascalas with original boxes on Albany N.Y. craigslist. Not sur if they are still there but they probably are. The guy has been trying to sell them for a long time. I spoke with him on the phone last fall and he said he wanted 1000.00 firm for them. I will see if I can find his phone number.

TimFromMass

You wanted to see some pic's of my black 2004's. This is an old listing...you can click on the pic's for larger images.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200088558232&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D200088558232%2B%2B%26fvi%3D1

I'm hoping to find a third set of decent cabs so I don't have to cut these up as I explained in my email.

post-22082-13819334107174_thumb.jpg

I believe those La Scala's in Albany are still for sale................They are nice looking, and I think they have been in storage for a number of years, they look brand new, but that is based on a picture................................I think he got sick of listing them, that's why you don't see them..I'll see if I can find his e-mail address for you...............

• Moderators

Hey Tim,

I'll be listing some black La Scala II's on ebay sometime today. These were sent to the set of the not-yet-released movie Kids in America, but are otheriwse unused. A couple blemishes, which I photographed and will put on ebay. Great shape overall. Not sure if they will actually be seen in the movie (or if the movie will be any good!).

Good luck!

post-4329-13819334109204_thumb.jpg

"I'll be listing some black La Scala II's on ebay"

Amy, these look like LaScala one's - no riser collar in between the bottom and top sections.