This is uncanny...just another injury

DrWho

Who, be careful with your back, you might think it's all fine, but when you get older, it will bite you in the butt for sure.I worked with my back all my life, and I'm paying for it now. Use your Brain and education, not your back..................Oscar is Right !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DOC,

Want some advice from a deaf old fart? I've had 4 back surgeries, a dozen different chiropractors, taken every type of pain pill and muscle relaxant. Stay away from the Ibuprophen as much as possible. Since the injury is more than a couple of days old: Before bed take a nice long warm shower concentrating on your full back. When you lay down prop pillows under your upper legs and prop a pillow on its side letting it curl around your neck. While laying on your back the pillows under your legs and around your neck will be like light traction. While you sleep you relax and this will help stretch out the muscles and let your back align itself. I've been doing this for about 20 years and it's basically eliminated the need for chiropractic. The only time I see my chiropractor is to loosen up the muscles before a big golf game with the guys. It's basically stretching and a massage. It makes it a lot easier to loosen up and warm up before the 1st tee up.

Hope you feel better man. Take care of your back. You might think you're invincible but trust me. We all think that until it's too late. That youthful immortality will disappear about 15 years from now. You're too young to cripple yourself up kid. You have to be fairly smart. Don't act stupid. Heal up and watch what you're doing.

Best at ya,

HarryO

Oscar,

I too have ankylosing spondylitis. Not sure I've had any bone spurs and the doctors haven't said anything about lousy bones so it sounds like I'm getting off easy compared to you. I also have some osteo arthritis in my knees, and probably some arthritis of some kind in my shoulders or that could be the AS as it seems to be the cause of my extra stiff neck and chest inflamation.

Ben

Well, Dr Who, I'm jumping into this pretty late, but I have a certain amount of experience of injuries. I worked in heavy industry as well as racing bicycles and motorcycles, so I've bent and broken a few things over the years.

Speaking for myself, I got away with strains, bumps and bruises until I was thirty-three. That's when I started breaking something everytime I fell. I stopped racing regularly after that.

If you have joint issues, try Glucosamine and Chondroitin. That stuff works for me.

Anyway, you mentioned what is sometimes called "muscle balance". That's for real, and certainly affects your posture. Each muscle group has an opposing muscle group. One is to bend and the other is to straighten, so you have have to exercise them correspondingly. Just as you have to do as many tricep extensions as you do bicep curls, you need to do as many back flexes as you do crunches.

Those trunk exercises like crunches and back flexes are good for posture and digestion, since a strong trunk keeps all your organs where they belong and work best. Five or ten minutes of crunches and back flexes three times a week is sufficient. You will notice the difference. To do back flexes, just lie across the bed face down, feet over one side and head over the other (won't work too well if you have a single, quite well with a queen size) and try to raise your shoulders off the bed. You'll feel the flex all the way down to your waist.

Start with 10 or 20 crunches and flexes and add a few every week until you reach 100 or so. It's good for you. You can knock them off before you get dressed in the morning.

The first picture shows me at my old job, giving an apprentice an "atittude adjustment", so you can see the size of tools I used. The second one shows me after I was badly injured in a highway crash and had been using a wheelchair for five years, due to partly paralyzed legs. Six years later, I'm still using the chair and I'm still doing pushups three times a week. And I'm 56.

post-23736-13819334159064_thumb.jpg

Still injured, still exercising. Actually, I was showing off for one of my models at a photo shoot at the Parkwood Estate in Oshawa, Canada's Motor City. It was owned by Colonel McLaughlin, who built the first Buick cars in Canada and is located in the same city as several GM plants.

It's a popular spot for wedding and model shoots and I think the first X-Men movie may have been shot at the main house.

post-23736-13819334159904_thumb.jpg