RF 7's + rotel RB 1080 ???

As the owner of a pair of RF 7's would I be heading in the right direction by coupling them with the RB 1080 as I feel they are under performing in 2 channel mode with my Denon 4802. Thanks.

Yes (although I personally have B&K gear myself).

Could you clarify what you mean by under performing? Or to put it another way, what are the RF-7s not doing that you wish that they would do better?

I had the RF7/RB 1080 combo for about a year or so, ran the Rotel with a very nice Classe pre and with a tube pre. Good combination. Monster, tight bass, nice midrange and lots of detail up top. The only drawback to my ears was that there was still a bit of shrillness on the top end at higher spls. Do not know if that is a consideration or not for you - depends on your listening habits and levels.

Carl.

As the owner of a pair of RF 7's would I be heading in the right direction by coupling them with the RB 1080 as I feel they are under performing in 2 channel mode with my Denon 4802. Thanks.

Well, aussiemark, it looks like the forum response to your question is a little underwhelming. I would suggest doing a search on this forum for issues related to powering the RF-7 speakers. This is the right place to ask, it is afterall the "Klipsch Forum".

I don't have enough technical expertise to say with any authority what you need to look for, but my experience and general knowledge about RF-7 (I own them) indicate that 200wpc in a high current amp will really improve them. The "quirks"" of the 7's are well known such as low-impedence swings which put high demands on amplification with some owners "moding" them for further improvement. But, I gather that the first requirement is adequate amplification. I was using a Yamaha RX-V2600 AVR in my system which is about the same in power (130wpc) as your Denon. It sounded OK, but when I added an external Rotel RB-1080 the improvement was dramatic. There are other ways to go in amplifier choice, I hear nice things about some pros such as QSC and Crown....there is also Outlaw before you begin climbing the "high-end" ladder. When you further search this forum, you'll find a lot of satisfaction with Rotel amps due to their satifactory "sonic match" to the RF-7. That covers 2-channel, then before you buy, check on HT amps such as Rotels 1095 or Outlaw 7500. Or, consider combinations of discrete 2 channel amps (for the RF-7 only) along with multi-channel to drive the rest of an HT system.

Hopefully, you'll get some better technical responses or personal experiences than mine on this thread or find more info searching. Apparently, many Klipsch owners have moved well beyond these "starter" questions or are so far down the path of exotic component and "heritage" speaker use than to address common issues that average users may face. But, I feel confident in saying that the first and most helpful (and bang-for-buck cheapest) step to take will be to solve your amplification requirement.

Good-luck, let us know what you decide to do.

Roger

ps...if no better results here, check the Audiogon forums too, not to mention good options for used stuff.

Cjgeraci what you were experiencing at high spl's in terms of shrillness I am hearing at moderate levels as well as high levels.Also the midrange tends to take 2 steps back in comparison to the highs and lows I believe a seperate power amp may rectify these issues to some extent.I also considered getting the crossovers done but Dean G is a long way from Sydney and I dont know of anyone I'd trust here to do the deed if in fact that deed would help solve the issue. Good clean power couldn't hurt I guess.Many thanks to your good self as well as UFOblaster ans Skonopa for taking the time to assist me with both your knowledge and your experiences .I appreciate your feedback and insight.

Cjgeraci what you were experiencing at high spl's in terms of shrillness I am hearing at moderate levels as well as high levels.Also the midrange tends to take 2 steps back in comparison to the highs and lows I believe a seperate power amp may rectify these issues to some extent.I also considered getting the crossovers done but Dean G is a long way from Sydney and I dont know of anyone I'd trust here to do the deed if in fact that deed would help solve the issue. Good clean power couldn't hurt I guess.Many thanks to your good self as well as UFOblaster ans Skonopa for taking the time to assist me with both your knowledge and your experiences .I appreciate your feedback and insight.

Aussiemark, I thought that Dean's mod made more of a difference taming some of the shrillness at higher volumes as opposed to a different amp. You may want to still investigate that option if you could locate someone to do it over there.

That being said, you may also want to consider a B & K amp. I auditioned a B & K amp when I first got into reference, and there was little glare at higher volumes. I ended up not going for the option because it was a little too rolled off for my ears. You may want to get some more impressions from Skonopa. For me, a pro amp was also an option as a QSC PLX amp replaced my Rotel before I got back into tubes. Just some thoughts.

Carl.

Personally I would say "NO!" the Rotel and any high-sensitivity is not a good match.

I had a, RB1080 with a pair of KLF 20's and it was absolutley impossible to listen to them at lower volume levels AND get the overall sound to come together. Above 3/4's of a watt they were fine but until then. I tried to use the set-up at lower volumes while reading or doing other non-critical listening and it just didn't work.

Preamp was a Mac C33 and source was a Mac MVP841.

Any high current, quality amp will improve the sound. I recently aquired an Outlaw 7700 amp, which is rated at 200 watts into all 7 channels simultaneously with very little distortion ( I forget thactual number) and was quite impressed. My next move is to send the crossovers to Dean to hav them redone.

Bottom line, all the research I did led me to feed my RF7s (and RC& and RS7s ) more power. More quality, clean power to be precise.

Any high current, quality amp will improve the sound. I recently aquired an Outlaw 7700 amp, which is rated at 200 watts into all 7 channels simultaneously with very little distortion ( I forget thactual number) and was quite impressed. My next move is to send the crossovers to Dean to hav them redone.

Bottom line, all the research I did led me to feed my RF7s (and RC& and RS7s ) more power. More quality, clean power to be precise.

You will see the most improvement sending them to Dean. You will smile at what it does to the rc-7, no kidding.

Edit: Notice I have a 7500.