Bob Crites die cast woofers

RAD

As you can all see from my forum history, I don't write new posts very often but I felt like I needed to tell you about Bob Crites die cast woofers upgrades for the k33e woofers. I just replaced the stock woofers in my 10 year old Belles with his die cast woofer replacements and after my first listening session I felt like I had purchased a brand new pair of loudspeakers! The bass was deeper, tighter and more powerful then the originals. It was not a day and night difference, but it was definitly worth the effort and the slight difference in price over the steel basket version. Also, after receiving the woofers I had a couple of questions for Bob and he answered all of them very quickly and proffesionally. On a personnal note to Bob, Thankyou for the fine products and service you have provided it was a great experience working with you again!

Just crossed a sort of milestone with the cast frame woofers.  50 of them in service now.  Almost all of those to members of this forum.  Anyway, now they are in use in Khorns, Belles, Cornwalls, Lascalas and Cornscalas.  Those who use them in Lascalas have to want them a lot.  The Lascala in some cases does not have the room for the extra 1/8 inch diameter of the frame.  Some who have used them in Lascalas have had to grind off some wood on a couple of places to get them mounted.  

Bob Crites

I'm running the CW-1526 cast woofers from Bob. Love them. Tubes or solid state they are sweet. Strong and deeper than the K-33. Recommended here!

Noticable difference. Thanks again Bob. And again. And again.

HarryO

Aw dang just when I thought that I was all through modding my K-horns!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Cheerz, [:^)]

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Bob,

I'm running your horn tweeters in my 2004 khorns along with ALK trachorns and Al's extreme slope networks, would replacing the stock k-33 with your die cast model make any real bass performance improvement in the khorns? I'm thinking improvement could be made to the other heritage models with a better bass driver such as your die cast model but with the complex bass horn section of the khorn which as we all know when set up properly and using the stock k-33 e driver performs very well. Also, using the extreme networks, Al demands that no other bass driver be used except the k-33 e. Does the specs on your die cast model fall in line with the stock driver? To be honest, I've have been extremly pleased with the mods I have done to my khorns, I do not want any other speaker system and I have heard most all shapes,sizes and brands through the years. The improvement mods I've made to these khorns with the help of great people like Al and Bob have made these khorns amazing so since these guys as well as other forum members have helped me so much in the past, would it be worth changing out the stock bass drivers with Bob's die cast or should I just leave it alone? Thanks for any input and direction.

Randy

" Some who have used them in Lascalas have had to grind off some wood on a couple of places to get them mounted. "

some folks use a chisel...some a roto tool.

Intrestingly...the 2004 LaScala's I have already come from the factory with a groove that allows cast woofers to be installed...I put K-45's in mine.

Randy, 

The new cast frame CW1526C will perform electrically the same a the K-33E, so will work in any application that currently uses the K-33E.  The goal in going to the cast frame was just to provide a stronger frame.  As a coincidence, the cast frame resulted in a slightly more efficient magnet structure using the same size magnet.  The gain in output is small, compared to the stamped frame version.  About 1.5 db more output at the lowest frequencies.   I was unsure about whether this was an audible difference at first, but with 50 to 60 of these in use now, reports have indicated that it is and is an improvement.  

Bob Crites 

"I was unsure about whether this was an audible difference at first, but with 50 to 60 of these in use now, reports have indicated that it is and is an improvement."

Bob,

After reading your last post on these I got curious and pulled the cast out of my "Wallrus" and put K-33s back in and listened to a very familiar tune by Robert Cray I use a lot for "evaluating speakers with my ear". I played the song "I Shiver" 5:07 twice. I then put the Cast CW1526 back in and listened again. Once was all it took to notice what I liked most about the cast woofer. The bass notes carried better and were clearer. Definitely more detailed. I listened at an average volume level in my small room.

I put the K-33s back in a couple of minutes ago just to be sure of what I heard. Yep, definitely better sounding with the cast woofer. I'm glad I did this switch back and forth comparison. Now I know for sure I wasn't biased because I spent my money on the cast and just wanted it to sound better. It does sound better. No doubts. I can put the rest of the screws back in and leave them alone now.

Harry

Harry- did you try an instantaneous A/B comparison when you did your 1526/33 test? With two speakers (side by side, running mono) it would give a more immediate comparison. IMHO, too much time elapses between 'swap-out' type comparisons. I subscibe to the theory that auditory memory is very short.

A couple years ago I changed networks in a center speaker. I did the swap as fast as possible, but even though I think the new one is better, I cannot be certain. Around the same time I put BEC's AA/A networks in my LSBR's and Doc and I did one, lined them up, ran the comparator for each other, and came to a solid conclusion that the new networks were better. I still don't know if it was new capacitors or the change from AL to AA that I was hearing however.

If ANYONE has two speakers and is making a modification- PLEASE change ONE only and perform a detailed A/B comparison of several pieces of music for an accurate reporting. This is what we do at Klipsch for our A/B tests. You'll get an example of how we conduct Listener Evaluations next weekend at the pilgrimage. It's important that the listener be completely unaware of which speaker is which also. If we spend time and money on an upgrade, it 'will' sound better. It's listener bias and really needs to be addressed for the test to be valid.

Yep, side to side 33-1526 first Mono test first just for a "Head to Head". Speakers were 6' in front of me. Obvious difference but I wanted to hear the "Music I'm used to" hence the "stereo" tests side by side 33-1526 and then switched out. It ain't exactly amateur night here Michael. I just didn't want to type this all out.

I'm fixing lunch for my 6 year old, doing laundry, cleaning windows, making room in the "audio repair shop" for Pilgrimage guests, and monitoring the forum for a revelation in sound improvement. Be nice or I'll kick you right between the "K-22s".

BTW, Just my opinion, My speakers, My ears, my test, my money spent, my validation.

Maybe Klipsch will buy the upgrade from Bob. He's done the legwork, testing, marketing. Sounds like he's already done a fair bit of testing too!

Harry

I am considering using the Crites woofers in a non Klipsch design due to thier rare characteristics of lowish resonance and relatively high sensitivity. A feature not found in too many affordable drivers. Can anyone using them in a CW style cab comment on thier performance in the upper bass and into the midrange??

Thanks!

My Wallrus are basically Cornwalls. The cabinet uses the CW volume, K-600 Horn, and K-55 mid driver. It's a very smooth transition. I had to play with the crossovers a bit because of my room size but the results are excellent with the CW1526 Crites Cast Woofer.

I have a small listening area. It's roughly 14' wide and 12' deep with the front of the cabinets approximately 10' from my listening sweet spot. With my small room I couldn't get my CWs in the listening room and still have room to walk so I built a pair of CWs up and deeper than the standard CW but still used the same cabinet volume. They're a "hot rod CW with the Crites Woofs and tweets. Nice, deep bass, sparkling highs, and smooth throughout the listening range. I am very happy with the results.

You won't go wrong with the cast using it for a CW replacement woof.

Harry