OT: Powdered Alcohol? Is there a chemist in the house?

Daddy Dee

At first I thought it was kind of odd they were marketing this for people younger than 16. Then as I read more, I see the legal drinking age in Amsterdam IS 16. It's weird how different cultures see things so differently.

I'm no chemist, but solid ethanol would have a temp of -114C. It's probably a flowable powder of a low molecular weight carbohydrate with sorbed alcohol. It's nothing new, I just did a quick Google search and here's a process that uses dextrin. Looks like it still has to be hermetically sealed.

http://www.patentdigi.com/recreational_buoyancy/alcohol-containing_dextrin_powder.html

You know that the vast quantities of corn ethanol to be used in motor car fuel have to be modified (by government demand) so that it can't be consumed by people. Otherwise we would be swimming in it.

they denature it to prevent being heavily taxed. Drinking Alcohol is expensive because the government heavily taxes it, goto a duty free shop to see how cheap they are really, and they still are making alot of profit.

Also on another note, its kinda silly to try and make ethanol blends an alternative fuel since the farmers love it because they are reaping alot of benefits but to the common person it hurts them more in the long run. The corn that was cheap cattle feed has gone alot up in prices and now the cost of milk, beer, hog, etc has gone up substancially making any economic value mute.... It is also been found that ethanol blends burn dirtier than traditional gasoline......