thebes

Great read as usual, Marty!

Late 70s early 80s with license in hand and trying to score some beer it was:

Rolling Stones
The Who
The Clash
B52s
Ramones - lots and lots of Ramones
Romantics and The Knack always seem like the hot radio groups of the day along with Foghat, Styx, REO, Kansas - but I tried to avoid them like the plague.

Looks like I hit a chord amongst some of you. Glad to have you sharing your stories.

Especially David. Great writing good buddy and I can readily sympathize with what the loss of your father must have meant especially at such a time in your life. I think as we get older there is a subtle shift from focusing on the here and now to the past and what might have beens. Weather it's good or bad I guess it would be a matter of degree. Having been around awhie we have garnered experience to draw upon, knowledge to pass along and memories to keep the heart warm when winter approaches.

Bittersweet. What a lovely joyful and sad word.

1967 the year I think I started to like girls (or at least tolerate them), and the Space program @ the Kennedy Space Center where all the buzz was about putting a man on the moon. I was fortunate enough to see all the launches from 1966 - 1968. Learned how to swim (self taught) despite my parents efforts. Hated the water, and then began to be second-nature and couldn't live without it. O so many youthful experiences, driving around in my Dad's Dodge Polaris to-and-from Cocoa to Cocoa Beach, FL. Great friends, the Monkeys Saturday a.m. show. "Get Smart" w/Don Adams, and "I was that close, Chief". And of course the only true religion I received courtesy of the "Good News" Bible club. EVERY SUNDAY FOR 2 hours across the street.

Wow, can still draw upon those fond memories at the niave age of 10

Hendrix, Cream/Blind Faith, Doors, The Miracles, Spirit, Crosby Still Nash & Young, Guess Who, ,Steppinwolf..........etc...

I spent weekends throughout my HS years ushering at the Hollywood Bowl and working for an L.A. Times dealership.  My cousin, myself and another friend stuffed the Sunday papers.  It took four stuffing episodes to complete and then the main sections showed up around 03:00 Sunday and we tied papers.  All the while we listened to a completely gutted A.M. radio.  The ambience was fairly surreal.  There was a doughnut shop not too far away and we knew the time when we could smell the product cooking.  Lots of antics in our free time.  Lots of memories.  A whole lotta work too.

20 years later I worked night shift in a hospital.  I would take break and get out of the building.  At a nearby intersection was a gas station that played moldy oldies all night long despite being closed.  In a strip mall behind that gas station was a doughnut shop.  It was eerily similar in time, temperature, odor and music genre and I enjoyed it so much that it made going to work almost enjoyable.