Best subwoofer for less than $500

Kain

Thinking of the SVS PB10-NSD. Is it musical enough to handle music well? What else should I consider? I have a pretty small room...something like 14 feet by 14 feet.

The rest of my system is listed in my sig.

Thanks

all that in 14 x 14? is it closed on 4 sides? the room modes are going to be killer - do you sound proofing? placing the sub will be critical because all the energy at one frequency can be sucked out, very curious to see Ear's answer, wonder if he includes the Parts Express Dayton III kit in his suggestions....

Thinking of the SVS PB10-NSD. Is it musical enough to handle music well? What else should I consider? I have a pretty small room...something like 14 feet by 14 feet.

Thanks

With the caliber of your current equipment why would you want such a tiny sub? You'll move tons more air with your RF-7's than that sub would move (granted at lower frequencies). You spent a grand on each of those, you should spend at least that on your sub.

But if that's where you want to stay then I don't see any other option but the 10-NSD. So to answer your question...No. It won't be as musical as your RF-7's and it won't keep up with them. Comparitively you'll need a much larger sub to compliment your current system appropriately.

Thanks

With the caliber of your current equipment why would you want such a tiny sub? You'll move tons more air with your RF-7's than that sub would move (granted at lower frequencies). You spent a grand on each of those, you should spend at least that on your sub.

But if that's where you want to stay then I don't see any other option but the 10-NSD. So to answer your question...No. It won't be as musical as your RF-7's and it won't keep up with them. Comparitively you'll need a much larger sub to compliment your current system appropriately.

Well, my father actually bought the system in 2001 or 2002 with my request (I live with my parents). Now that I am also working for him he won't pay for the subwoofer and says I'll have to get it myself. With that, I don't have much money saved up right now and so have to consider a "cheap" subwoofer for now. I'll probably upgrade it later on though.

I know that I'm probably going to get bashed for actually posting up my opinion, since I hardly know anything about subs...but after looking at the SVS, wouldn't you be able to go with a DIY sub that would be in the same price range, but destroy the SVS on output? When I was looking for subs a week or two back, I was pretty tempted to just spend $450 and get a 15" TC-1000 and a 1000 watt amp, which is a tad more than the SVS, but seems like it would annihilate it....

I havent looked at my shake values for subs in almost 2 years. Yet, ff you examine the shake value ratings versus the price in the excellent article http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_4/subwoofers-12-2001.html (Subwoofers Under the Christmas Tree - December, 2001 by Brian Weatherhead), you quickly see that, as the Stones rock classic says, you cant always get what you want. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Since 25Hz output is certainly more noticeable in movies and music, I sorted my list of 62 subs by their 25Hz value: the more output at 25Hz and the lower the price, the better the value:

maker

model

price

Atlantic Tech

T70.1PBM

$ 425

SVS

20-39

$ 599

PSB

Subsonic 5i

$ 529

Klipsch

used LF10

$ 550

Velodyne

CHT-15

$ 599

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Dayton

Titanic III 15" kit

$ 688

ACI

my demo Titan

$ 720

M&K

V76

$ 699

JBL

S120PII

$ 799

Pinnacle

Baby Boomer

$ 850

ACI

upgraded Titan

$ 1,050

Ear, where's your list?

How would you rank the following subwoofers? PB10-NSD, RSW-12, RW-12d, RT-10d.

First to last choice....

RT-12d....RT10d....RSW12....PB10-NSD

Extension however....the little SVS winns! If maximum depth is what you are after the three Klipsch subs simply have little to offer under 25Hz...it is a fact.

How would you rank the following subwoofers? PB10-NSD, RSW-12, RW-12d, RT-10d

First to last choice....

RT-12d....RT10d....RSW12....PB10-NSD

Extension however....the little SVS winns! If maximum depth is what you are after the three Klipsch subs simply have little to offer under 25Hz...it is a fact.

It was the RW-12d not the RT. :P

I havent looked at my shake values for subs in almost 2 years. Yet, ff you examine the shake value ratings versus the price in the excellent article http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_4/subwoofers-12-2001.html (Subwoofers Under the Christmas Tree - December, 2001 by Brian Weatherhead), you quickly see that, as the Stones rock classic says, you cant always get what you want. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Since 25Hz output is certainly more noticeable in movies and music, I sorted my list of 62 subs by their 25Hz value: the more output at 25Hz and the lower the price, the better the value:

maker

model

price

Atlantic Tech

T70.1PBM

$ 425

SVS

20-39

$ 599

PSB

Subsonic 5i

$ 529

Klipsch

used LF10

$ 550

Velodyne

CHT-15

$ 599

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Dayton

Titanic III 15" kit

$ 688

ACI

my demo Titan

$ 720

M&K

V76

$ 699

JBL

S120PII

$ 799

Pinnacle

Baby Boomer

$ 850

ACI

upgraded Titan

$ 1,050

Ear, where's your list?

Where the heck is JL Audio? They don't cost as much as you might think.

Roc,

If you noticed the list contains only limited...subs. The f113 would beat the stuffing out of any "sub" in that list. Teh 70lbs driver alone weighs more than the most stout sub in this list. It is a chainsaw Texas massacre deluxe.The other drivers would look like...midranges!

And then I have a sub that would play a mean number on the Fathom...he he a beast that weighs over 300lbs and mocks commercial subs no matter the make. [:D] HA HA HA HA...the magnets are disrupting my ...I have to plan a route to the bathroom... [:|]

MY PartsExpress order arrived and from TC Sounds next week...YES YES...I am the King of the sub world....[8-|]

I for one do not like the NSD 10. I'd go with the sub-12. It has way more output and it's clean enough and deep enough for the price you pay. I snagged mine, albeit for an extremely low price, of $305 shipped off of ebay. But a used RSW-12 would be best then the sub-12 and RW-12 are pretty much the same. For the NSD, at least on mine, it didn't have a cross over which really bothered me to hear all the higher frequencies. Also I just hate how little sound the NSD10 puts out. I used to use it as a seat in lieu of a buttkicker. 105 dB vs 117 dB. I don't remember if the NSD is 105 with or without room gain, but its not nearly loud enough for me.

I know that I'm probably going to get bashed for actually posting up my opinion, since I hardly know anything about subs...but after looking at the SVS, wouldn't you be able to go with a DIY sub that would be in the same price range, but destroy the SVS on output? When I was looking for subs a week or two back, I was pretty tempted to just spend $450 and get a 15" TC-1000 and a 1000 watt amp, which is a tad more than the SVS, but seems like it would annihilate it....

Nah, we won't bash too hard! I've built a gaggle of DIY's in all sorts of configurations including one very much like my own SVS. Saved some cash? Sure. Better output? It's not rocket science; just all in the design. Annihilate? Not really. That's their market. I say no because, while I certainly have experience in construction, the SVS machine is no slouch. While DIY is the absolute best value and always will be, with the peripherals - variable tuning ports, warranty, customer service, return policy, etc, the SVS comes pretty close.

Now when it comes to uber multi-k subs then your DIY factor goes WAY up. You can turn a $3k piece into a $1k backyard project in a long weekend.

I'd actually wait for Christmas, like the Ear jokingly stated, and save to get something decent. If you buy a sub now on that budget you'll probably not even hear it because the RF7's will drown it out. You'll loose at least a hundred bucks when trying to resell the smaller sub later. Save up another $500 and get something a little more in the league of the RF7's. I'd say minimum RSW12. Better would be the RT12d or RSW15 but that would take you until Xmas 2008 to save up for.

Then again are you trying to build up a system of your own that you can take with you when you move out?