Scam Brands - White Van labels, etc.

Islander

I'd like to meet a crew of white van guys. Probably won't, since I live in the sticks.

It's hard to believe speakers could be made so unbelievably cheap. Of course, all they have to do is look like speakers. I've heard stories of white van guys unloading them for as little as $150 a pair. That seems hardly worth the work involved in scamming someone. I wonder what their real overhead is anyway.

In the early 90s, I ran into them once or twice and so did some of my co-workers. I listened to their pitch in a Canadian Tire parking lot (sorta like the US Pep Boys and Home depot combined, but on a smaller scale) and the speakers didn't look bad. I'd done some sales by then, and these guys were better salesmen than the truck drivers they were claiming to be. That was my clue.

There was a TV item around that time that said they were a big outfit based in Chicago, but there may well be lots of small groups doing it, if the Australian brand name is any indication.

I was approached by the boys in a white van with speakers once in a parking lot about five years ago. They gave me their pitch about having extra pairs that were given to them by their own place of work by mistake and wanting to unload them for quick cash. They wanted $250 or so. My street since clued me in right away. I only looked at the boxes of speakers they had to see their scam product. The box the speakers were in listed retail value of over one thousand. They even just happen to have a nice laminated card with all the specs and retail value of these extra speakers they just happen to have. I listened to their whole spill and got a big kick out of it all. I offered them $20 just to mess with them. No sale. It was fun for me.

Albany, N.Y. craigslist has them on there quite abit, always seems to be someone jumping on and warning others about the white van boys, they go away for awhile, and lo and behold, they are back...........I hate to say it, but the internet is full of scammers of all kinds............Thanks for the post.