SPECS

Here are the specs for Cornwall IIIs, does anyone have spects for the mid 1980s Cornwalls? Thanks!

Cornwall III Specifications

frequency response

34Hz - 20 kHz ±3db

power handling

100w max continuous (400 w peak)

sensitivity

102 db @ 1watt/1meter

maximum acoustic output

119db

nominal impedance

8 ohms

crossover frequency

HF: 5000Hz
LF: 800Hz

tweeter

K-107-TI 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver

high frequency horn

K-79-T Tractrix

midrange

K-53-TI 1.75" (4.45 cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver

mid frequency horn

Exponential Horn

woofer

K-33-E 15" (38.1cm) Fiber composite cone

enclosure material

MDF

enclosure type

Bass reflex via front slot ports

dimensions

35.75" H (90.81cm) x 25.31" W (64.29cm) x 15.5" D (39.37cm)

weight

98 lbs

finishes

Walnut Lacquer, Cherry Lacquer, Black Lacquer

built from

All three are on our web site, the specs remaind the same on the I, even though the following says K-77-M, which was used from about 78 to 84

frequency response

38Hz-20kHz±5dB

power handling

105 watts maximum continuous (1000 watts peak)

sensitivity

98.5dB @ 1watt/1meter

nominal impedance

8 ohms

tweeter

K-77-M 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

high frequency horn

90°x40° Exponential Horn

midrange

K-55-V 2" (5.08cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

mid frequency horn

90°x40° Exponential Horn

woofer

K-33 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone

enclosure material

Birch Plywood or Veneered Lumbercore

enclosure type

Bass reflex via front-mounted port

dimensions

35.75" x 25.5" x 15.5"

weight

108 lbs.

finishes

Walnut, Rose, Teak Oil, Oak, Cherry Lacquer, Natural, Mahogany, Maple, Raw, Black Birch

built from

built until

http://www.klipsch.com/news-center/reviews-press/archived/details/klipsch-model-cornwall-ii-speaker-system.aspx

See the above which links to a review of the Cornwall.

We should put the arm on Michael C. to write up the history of the CW.

The following is my understanding.

A) First there was a model with a slot in the back which was described in an article by PWK. I don't know how many of these went out the factory door. I've only seen one in the museum.

B) At some point there were the types you see in one of the links which were posted which had the curved front trim. I don't know what to call this style. "1960's modern" maybe.

C) Still later there was a pure box type which had the midrange horn vertical and the woofer and tweeter off center. (Maybe A and B had these orientations). By then there was a traditional port at the front, rather than slot at the back. There were "this end up" arrows in the back. Therefore it was anticipated that the user would lay them on their side. The proper "end up" put the tweeter at the higher elevation. I don't know if there were left and right versions.

D) Then there was the first Cornwall II which appears in the article. Now the mid was horizontal and the tweeter, mid, and woofer all centered in a line along the vertical. This nomenclature (II) didn't last very long and the description changed to just Cornwall.

E) Someplace along the end of the production of the "just Cornwall" of D) the K-55 driver was dropped in favor of another unit(s). The metal K-6 horn was still used.

F) The Cornwall II came out as a replacement for the "just Cornwall" of D). It used plastic horns and pretty much integrated drivers (not the screw on).

G) Cornwall II of F) was dropped from production. The rest of the Heritage line is in Limbo too. Fans get worried that it signals the end of Klipsch Heritage. The sun is noticed to cool -- the ozone layer is not doing well either.

H) Cornwall III was introduced with some tweeking. Again plastic horns. I'm not suggesting they're bad.

= = = =

There was in recent times a very, very favorable review of the Cornwall of D) posted at the Belgian Audio Society. I can't find that now. Maybe someone can point to it or has saved the info.

Gil

The following info was combined from research by Jim Hunter, Mark Kauffman and my self.

To the best of our knowledge, it is complete. There may still be a few gray areas, as more information is located, it will be updated.

I have heard of very few cases when the B-3 network was found in K-77-M, K-55-V speakers during ealry transition between CW I and CW II around 1984 to 85

Date

Event

Oct 1959

The Cornwall is introduced as the world's second commercially produced center speaker. A speaker with higher output capability than the Heresy was needed when used in three speaker arrays between Klipschorns®. Component designations: Woofer EV 15WK, Midrange K-1000 Horn and University SAHF Driver, Tweeter K-77

Late 1959

Transition to the K-33-J Woofer (Jensen)

1959 - 1961

Sporadic transition to the K-55-V mid-range driver (Atlas).

Jan 1963

The K-1000 diffraction type midrange horn was replaced with the exponential K-600 horn with a lower (600 Hz) cutoff

Sept 1967

Transition to the K-33-M. The records are not clear as to the origin of this driver but it is believed to be an Eminence driver with an Alnico magnet.

Jan 1968

Transition to The K-33-P Woofer (CTS Paducah KY)

The horizontal version of the Cornwall is discontinued

K-56 mid-range driver (Electrovoice 1828) is used for a short period as a temporary replacement as the supply of K-55-V drivers was interrupted.

Transition to The K-33-B Woofer (CTS Brownsville TX)

1975? - 1979

K-33-E (Eminence) and the K-33-B were used interchangeably. The records are not specific about the actual start date for the K-33-E but it is believed to be in the early to mid 1970's

The Eminence K-33-E woofer is used exclusively

1981 - 1983

The transition between four different iterations of the midrange driver from revolving sources occurs during this period. The original K-55-V was changed to the K-51-V and then to the K-55-G (essentially a ceramic magnet version(2 different vendors) of the Atlas Alnico K-55-V) to the Hepner built K-52-H and finally the Klipsch built K-52-K.

March 14, 1983

The "Cornwall II" has a stealthy launch (it is still called the Cornwall) as the production records indicate the B-3 network starts to be used and the use of the K-77 tweeter stops in this model. This marked the first time in the Cornwall's history that it used a mid-range and tweeter driver set differed from that of the Klipschorn®. There are reports of Cornwall cabinets (rear mounted drivers and screw on backs with Cornwall II components. Component designations were (probably): Woofer Eminence K-33-E, Midrange K-57-K (K-601 plastic horn and K-52-K driver), Tweeter K-79-K (K-75-K horn and K-79 driver) and B-3 network.

The Cornwall II is "officially" introduced and appears on the price sheets. It featured front mounted drivers to reduce baffle induced diffraction effects. Component designations were: Woofer Eminence K-34-E (K-33-E with a dressy pad ring), Midrange K-57-K (K-601 plastic horn and K-52-K driver), Tweeter K-79-K (K-75-K horn and K-79 driver) and B-3 network.

The Cornwall II is discontinued

March 2006

The Cornwall III is introduced marking the end of the Cornwall's 15 year absence from the market. This version utilizes the Klipschorn® woofer, the horn and driver set from the Heresy III (featuring Titanium diaphragms and a Tractrix® tweeter horn) and bi-wire inputs. Component designations are: Woofer K-33-E, Midrange K-53-Ti (K-701 horn and K-53-Ti driver), Tweeter K-107-Ti (K-79-T horn and K-100-Ti driver).

• 3 weeks later...

Steve,

Was there a die-cast version of the K-600 midrange horn to replace the original sand-cast type as was done for the K-700 on the Heresy? (late 70's I'm guessing)

Thanks for the nod Gil, but far wiser (and more aged) types have already provided us with in-depth history of all the Heritage models. Steve has posted what we keep on our Customer Service drive for history lessons.

I'm not sure about the K600, but there are two disctictly different cast metal horns for the K700. Early types for H700 had 4 tabs for bolts and nearly 1/4" thickness. later types were considerably thinner casting and had 8 bolt flanges.

It seems to me that the the CW deserves a grand write up.

Again, what happened to the very favorable Belgian Audio Society review?

My thought is that Klipsch Inc. might hire a summer intern from an engineering school who could go through historical files and publish something.

Gil

• Klipsch Employees

It seems to me that the the CW deserves a grand write up.

Again, what happened to the very favorable Belgian Audio Society review?

My thought is that Klipsch Inc. might hire a summer intern from an engineering school who could go through historical files and publish something.

Gil

"historical files" man we keep that stuff in our heads....Ins for our jobs...[6]