Making a Heresy Center Speaker

jascott

I am planning on using two Heresy II or III speakers for fronts in my LR system. I currently have a a rear projection LCD w/ a "custom" cabinet built around it. This means, I can't place a Heresy above/below/on top/etc. I do have a center channel location above the TV that currently houses an RC64, so that is about the space I have to work with...

I am contemplating building a Heresy matched speaker by using the same tweeter and mid horns in a custom made box. I can probably use 8" drivers of some sort, but I won't be able to use the woofer from a Hersey because of space.

Has anybody done this? Any ideas where to start, what woofers to use, etc.

Lastlly, I do have an Academy as a center for my Cornwalls. I could use this, but would prefer to build this other speaker if it would match better.

Thanks,

JS

you may want to contact Trey from Klipsch as he should be able to help you with this...I am using a DeanG and JorJen Heresy center (fantastic!) but would also like something like a Heresy III C perhaps...maybe if enough of us request something like this from Klipsch it could be a reality??? I mean, who would have thought that the Cornwall would return???...[;)]

Bill

I have the same problem as you, I can't fit a heresy as a centre channel in my system with major work to my Hi-Fi cabinet.

It is unbelievable that Klipsch don't make a convensional sized Heritage centre channel to match the Heresys and Cornwalls, I would definitely buy one as would other Heritage owners who run HT. The chances of picking up a 2nd hand black Academy in good nick here in Australia is almost zero and the centre channel speaker i'm using ATM doesn't match the Heresys at all.

I to have thought of making a custom Heresy centre but didn't know what woofers would be most suitable.

So when Klipsch start making a Heritage centre again they can send the first black one to Australia.

Regards Skeg.

I will try and give Trey a call later today. I do currently have the Academy, but I am looking for a better match. I currently have the RC64 in there, and do have the width, so I would think I could use a modified Heresy/Cornwall crossover, the horn tweeters and midrange from a Heresy/Cornwall and couple of 8" drivers from ???? I would think the midrange and tweeter horns would make all the difference in the tonal match to the other Heritage line. I could deal with the lower end differences much easier. I am still looking for the Heresy's somewhere in DFW to pick up. Once I have these, I'll start this project.

I have an Academy as well and upgraded to the "popbumper" version...very detailed but wanted even more...the Heresy I use as a Center is awesome BUT I would prefer to have all that sound in, say a "Heresy Vertical" similar to the old Cornwall II/Vertical perhaps in a more "Center-like" shape, i.e. a rectangle...I think Klipsch could sell a bunch of them, how 'bout you?

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

How many here would lay out the cash for one if it were available- RIGHT NOW?

It would be a single so probably the same price as single Heresy or slightly more. $800?

Are you in?

(not to represent Klipsch, but just an informal poll, mmmk?)

M

The last Academy on Ebay sold for US$503.00 with 28 bids............................................................................................................................................................

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Academy-Center-Channel-Speaker_W0QQitemZ260132931343QQihZ016QQcategoryZ14992QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was fortunate enough to be able to audition Michael's Academy for a couple months, using it as a center channel between my KHorns.

While it looked nicer than my Heresy, there was no comparison in the sound department. Heresy wins hands down.

This new Heresy Center (If it ever becomes a reality [;)]) will be a great answer to the problem.

The last Academy on Ebay sold for US$503.00 with 28 bids............................................................................................................................................................

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Academy-Center-Channel-Speaker_W0QQitemZ260132931343QQihZ016QQcategoryZ14992QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would an Academy be considered the center speaker of choice for my system, with a pair of RF 82's, or is that overwhelming? If not the Academy which is the center speaker of choice?

I have a pair of RS 42's on the sides, and a pair of KEF 105.4's for rears.

the "voice" of the academy would not mesh with your Reference...the current Reference series center would...the reason so many want the Academy is, it is supposed to mesh well with the later (Tractrix) Heritage and extended Heritage speakers and they were not made for a long time making them more "rare."

Bill

I've never been a fan of the Academy and have been blasted here several time for standing my ground on that statement.[:D] The center speaker is what you are listening to 80% of the time in movies and is way to important to skimp.

For Khorns I found the in my HT that I really needed a K400 midrange in my center to match the K400s in my Khorns for it to sound right. I too have space issues as I wanted to MAX my screen. This is what I did and it sounds great.

http://forums.klipsch.com/photos/the_klipsch_gallery/picture731619.aspx

HF over screen. http://forums.klipsch.com/photos/the_klipsch_gallery/picture731589.aspx

LF under screen. http://forums.klipsch.com/photos/the_klipsch_gallery/picture731587.aspx

JM