AMP for LaScalla IIs

topdogue

Good afternoon everyone, i just ordered a pair of La Scalla IIs for my 20x30x9 foot listening room. I have a Levison 390S CD player and a Proceed AMP 2 for motivation. Am running the amp interconnects balanced. I listen to classical and jazz (Miles Davis, et al), hence i appreciate the dynamics that these speakers can provide. Jimmy Hendricks may be a loud dude, but the choral passage from Beethoven's 9th goes from soft to really loud in a heart beat. The speakers i heard in the show room, did a great job recreating that experience.

Question--- i think my Proceed (150wpc) runs Class A in the low power region and i am guessing that that should be great for my horns. BUT, i am open to any suggestion the esteemed forum panel has to offer for a SS amp.

Thanks, A newbie ot horns.

Can I suggest 200 WPC Sunfire Amps.. Dynamic range is no problem at all, and they will not overheat or break. The most important feature is to be able to send those dynamic peaks of softness to loudness without much stress to your amp to your "Big Ole Horns".. No Problem, at all, with the Sunfire amps. And Balanced inputs too.

"i think my Proceed (150wpc) runs Class A in the low power region and i am guessing that that should be great for my horns"

if your amp does run in class A mode initially, you should be happy with the sound.

That depends on weather you decide to go with tubes or solid-state. A very rough rule of thumb is that 1 watt of tube power equals 3 watts of SS power.

That Mac MC252 I have has (conservatively rated) 250 wpc. which is more than I need for Klipsch's efficiant speakers but it never hurts. Mac also has a couple of circuits to prevent DC power from getting to the drivers for very long (Power Guard) and the Autoformers that automatically "match" the impeadence of the speakers. The Autoformer also results in the same amount of power being delivered no mater which taps are used on the amp. The amp may run a little hotter (not much) and may sound a little different using the different taps.

A very rough rule of thumb is that 1 watt of tube power eqauls 3 watts of SS power.

That's a bad rule Tom, a watt is a watt. It's just because a tube amp can be driven out of its operating range without assaulting the ears -- the clipping isn't as obnoxious and easy to hear as with solid state. No clipping is better than soft clipping, and more power than you need is better than not enough.

The basic calculators usually work off 3dB of headroom, which works fine with rock and pop recordings that use a lot of compression.

http://www.crownaudio.com/apps_htm/designtools/elect-pwr-req.htm

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

http://www.infinitesightandsound.com/Calculator_-_Amplifier_Power.php

Welcome to the forum Topdogue.....your amp should be just fine with the LS lls. I use Quicksilver Audio Horn Monos with 25 wpc with my hybrid LS and don't feel I'm missing a thing. Congrats on the purchase. Give us your impressions of the LaScalas when you can.

Good afternoon everyone, i just ordered a pair of La Scalla IIs for my 20x30x9 foot listening room. I have a Levison 390S CD player and a Proceed AMP 2 for motivation. Am running the amp interconnects balanced. I listen to classical and jazz (Miles Davis, et al), hence i appreciate the dynamics that these speakers can provide. Jimmy Hendricks may be a loud dude, but the choral passage from Beethoven's 9th goes from soft to really loud in a heart beat. The speakers i heard in the show room, did a great job recreating that experience.

Question--- i think my Proceed (150wpc) runs Class A in the low power region and i am guessing that that should be great for my horns. BUT, i am open to any suggestion the esteemed forum panel has to offer for a SS amp.

Thanks, A newbie ot horns.

What makes you think the amp runs class A in the low power region? I just read the manual and specs; very nice with independent power supplies, balanced and single ended inputs, balanced and single ended bridging, biamping, etc.; but no mention of class A operation.

If you appreciate realistic dynamics you know that the dynamic range extends down to the soft as well as up to the loud. Class A operation provides a very clean and clear soft end of the spectrum.

How loud is your average listening level?

I just had my first experience with Klipsch today, but I thought my two watt Bottlehead amp going into the Lascallas was marvelous. I am going to measure my room to see if I can get a pair to fit. If not, on to the Heresys. But I think the important thing is to audition before you buy and I also think, given the incredible effeciency of your speakers you should give SET a chance and see what you think before you buy. Just the musing of a newbie, take it for what it is worth.

It is interesting that you would say that. Mark, whom I was
listening with, thought that the SET amp had the best synergy with the
La Scalas from his own listening. I am not new to audio but am
new to Klipsch. I thought it sounded good with all of them but
the more experienced hand heard the synergy with the La Scalas
immidiately. Good post and thanks.

Paul

Paully

Were you able to hear the Heresys with your 2 watt amp and how big was the room? Also how big is your listening room?

I had a pair of 3.5 watt SET amps with La Scalas in a 15 x 15 x 8 room and the amps played louder than I listen at. Audioslave, Metalica, Rush but again it was in a small room with La Scalas which have 104 db and it does not take much.

Now if the room is bigger and you like to turn up the volume really loud then you would need more power.

Enjoy whatever speakers you get!

Definitely could hear the Heresys and the room was large. It

played to extremely high levels, and sounded great at the same time, on

the Cornwalls, La Scalas and Klipschorns as well. Power isn't the

issue to be sure. I actually have Bottlehead Paramount 300B

monoblocks on the way so I will be able to do closer to 9 watts.