About the Klipschorn Room - Questions

17' x 29' is almost dead on what I was shooting for for here. We have 2 rooms that need to be made into one. The 17' part is arbitrary but I kept using 18 in my mind. Hmmm..... I'll definitely be talking to you about that in the future. The hard part is how to incorporate room treatments in a main living area. Would be easy if it was to be a dedicated room, but I don't want that.

Yes, that's another issue. We have the TV, cornwall, and gear/rack system between the khorns. No clue how it would sound without it. When we get around to the remodel, want to put the gear either in the wall or some type of closet thing. But will always want a TV/center speaker there. This could be sunk in sort of like building a closet behind the wall so we could recess the cornwall and DLP TV - though surely at some point have a big flatscreen on the wall. Tricky. Do you think a big flatscreen on the wall between khorns would 'do something'? And, would a recessed/flush cornwall be a problem? The other option is to put them on the 29' wall but I think that's too wide apart. Since I have 2 pairs of khorns, I could probably do something interresting like a/b between sets. Like, using the rear khorns divided up (I can't explain this well right now).

I also need to determine the best ceiling height. We can do anything we want with that cuz basically this whole section of house is horrifying and is a tear down situation. Can't even use a stud finder in one room cuz the previous owners did a DIY 'remove the screen porch and make it part of the house' type thing. Obviously whilst on bad drugs or several kegs of beer.

Lisa,

Just make sure the measurements are not evenly divisible by one another, ie. do not make an 8*16*24 room. There is a room mode calculator available online you could download to plug in various sizes (once you know the ceiling height) so you start off with a good room.

Having cabinets/gear/center speaker between a pair of khorns really isn't going to matter....the wavelengths are way too large to even see the obstacles. You just need a foot or two of unobstructed path right near the speaker.

If you want to avoid acoustical treatment as much as possible in a not-so-dedicated dedicated room, then the best thing you can do is splay the walls and keep everything non-parallel. Even better is if you can keep the early reflections away from the listening position too.

• Klipsch Employees

OK, just to tick everyone off, here is what we were using for wire.

All of our rooms have the same wire in the walls. Each run is the same length.

Each run (thats a pos wire and a neg wire) is cat-5. All eight conductors are put together for one wire.

The wire from the wall to the speaker in the HT room was 14/2 SO, the same wire used for speakers on stage. It has heavy outer coating, but standard 14 awg inside.

the Ref HT did use 18 awg zip cord. The same wire in all our pro products, yes even the Pro Jub.

there was monstor z on the 60th khorns, but that was just to look cool.

does wire make a difference in the way speakers sound?

All I can say is, not enough to make me spend a lot of money on the wire.

I have always told folks that if you plan to spend $300 on wire, only spend $100 and use the other $200 to take your SO out to dinner.

Much of my issue with speaker wire is "to look cool"! My wire is exposed and looks like crap. Mostly it doesn't lay right. Not flexy. I like the look of the mesh covering and the one-wire look instead of 2 wires stuck together. I want it to be flexible/soft and not need tacking down against the floor/baseboard. I think I'm going to try to make my own. Maybe a winter project.

Much of my issue with speaker wire is "to look cool"! My wire is exposed and looks like crap. Mostly it doesn't lay right. Not flexy. I like the look of the mesh covering and the one-wire look instead of 2 wires stuck together. I want it to be flexible/soft and not need tacking down against the floor/baseboard. I think I'm going to try to make my own. Maybe a winter project.

just like I like my dates, flexible and soft, and mesh covered!

"I like the look of the mesh covering and the one-wire look instead of 2 wires stuck together.  I want it to be flexible/soft and not need tacking down against the floor/baseboard"

I see a new product coming......covers for speaker wire made out of gray garden hose.....it will be mesh looking and flexible...just slide your existing wires in...