About the Klipschorn Room - Questions

I have some questions about the Klipschorn room.

The room was (if I recall), 17 feet wide (khorn wall) by how long?

What exactly was the speaker cable? It was super thick.

Interconnects?

I need to get new cable. I have more questions about the treatments but need to have more coffee. I also want to learn more about the construction of the 60th's but I think that's been discussed on 2-channel before so I'll go a-searchin'. I didn't really know that the guts were different. I thought it was merely backs slapped on. I wouldn't mind investigating how to tweak mine like that but i fear mucking up my sound.

Oh - for now, I'd like to know what's going on between the bass bin & top hat. There's some type of riser in there or is it more a gap? Some day, I hope to find a pair of old junky khorns to get that look. I always thought the top hat in all black looked great and seeing the 60th's confirmed that for me. I don't care for the 2-tone brown/black look.

"What exactly was the speaker cable?  It was super thick.  "

I would ask Klipsch staff directly...

Asking on this forum will turn this into a speaker wire makes a difference vs speaker wire does not make a difference discussion.

The componets used in the setup of the khorns were premium grade, down to the internal wiring which have "silver" something in them.

"I also want to learn more about the construction of the 60th's but I think that's been discussed on 2-channel before so I'll go a-searchin'.  I didn't really know that the guts were different.  I thought it was merely backs slapped on.  I wouldn't mind investigating how to tweak mine like that but i fear mucking up my sound. "

won't know all the details til they arrive.  I did send Roy and email asking about the xovers.  Roy said that the 60's have AK-4 xovers but made with upgrade componets.  The Klipsch brochure says Preimium componets are used as well as silver something interconnect wire.  The brochure says the tweeter is a k-77-D, no idea what the D means.  Aside from the back attached false corners...accoustically...I don't think there are any other differences.

About the speaker wire is being reported as Monster Z.  I have a couple hundred feet of Monster Z cable, I might be able to break up the roll and make some wire sets if the intrest is there.

The risers on my 1985's have no accoustic function....my view is that they provide curb appeal.

I did listen to Trey and other Klipsch staff talking about how it doesn't really matter (within reason) what wire you use. That many would be shocked to know what they used in all the test setups, etc.

People can buy what they want. I use 18 gauge zip cord. Mine hasn't turned green. That is my only specification.

You would think they would put the backs on all the KHorns, or provide directions for those who would be interested. I thought they sounded rather fabulous, but it is the first pair I have ever heard.

Bruce

Meagain,

I heard no appreciable difference between the 60th and mine...mine have AK-4s in them powered by VRDs...listening to John Mayer right now...plenty of bass, nice highs...full mids...just my take...of course you can't move mine from the corners and keep the bass I guess like the 60th and I think the 60th looks nicer than my "plain" Birch Raw with dark stain but...I don't pay much attention to how mine look once they are singing anyway...as for speaker wire, I am using Mon$ter wire in 14GA...I have never heard any difference in wire either...

Bill

"I did listen to Trey and other Klipsch staff talking about how it doesn't really matter (within reason) what wire you use. That many would be shocked to know what they used in all the test setups, etc."

hmm, but in practice...they used Monster Z series between the amps and the speakers, and wire with silver internally to the drivers......

"I am using Mon$ter wire in 14GA"

14 gauge would not be the  M-1, M-1.2, M-1.4, Z-1, Z-2, Z-3 stuff

The issue on if you would hear a difference depends on which cable you use and how the manufacture of that cable manipulated inductance, capacitance, and impedance to alter the sound character.   Some cables have cores of various materials, some use magnet wire componts, some use insulation that react with the wire surface and introduces some capacitance, some use many fine strands vs a few thick ones, etc.

it not just wire guage and changes to wire resistance.

speakerfritz...I am sorry, I meant I hadn't heard the difference in sound between the following:

18GA, 16GA, 14GA lampcord/zipwire

12GA clear jacketed copper and silver colored Carol branded wire

14GA outdoor lighting wire

14GA Carol branded extention cord

16GA Signet branded wire

14GA Mon$ter wire in various forms...

I believe Klipsch used a lot of Mon$ter wire because they had a relationship with Mon$ter at one time...when I upgraded my K'Horns with the AK-4 networks direct from Klipsch (well, Klipsch to Rowe Photo to me) the tweeters were pre wired with Mon$ter...

Bill

"I believe Klipsch used a lot of Mon$ter wire because they had a relationship with Mon$ter at one time...when I upgraded my K'Horns with the AK-4 networks direct from Klipsch (well, Klipsch to Rowe Photo to me) the tweeters were pre wired with Mon$ter..."

The AL-4 xovers I have use also have monster wire from the xover to the drivers.  The AK-4 xovers I have use a monster wire clone, but basically the same type of designer wire.