My New Scott 299C - Whatcha Think?

n2dablue

Hey folks, not a big poster here, but more of a professional lurker, but felt that I now have a topic worth posting about. I picked this ugly duckling up for a pretty fair price on eBay last week- Total: $300 shipped 2nd day. I didn't really expect to receive anything that actually worked, but I gently powered it up on a variac and whadaya know, it started passing a signal at about 70 volts. Then I actually hooked it up to my Fortes and surprisingly sounds fairly decent, despite the medley of different tubes, and the appearance that it has never been worked on. I am fairly certain that this Scott is in need of some new caps at the least, as it does hum a bit, and seems to be lacking the power to handle anything over a moderate volume. This is my first experience with tubes, and so far I like what I hear and see, I am really quite excited.

What I cant decide, is how I would like to go about getting this up to snuff to replace my current SS integrated. The face plate is pretty trashed and the Scott has a lot of goofy bells and whistles that are pretty nonessential, IMO; I was thinking of building my own chassis and using the transformers and basic 299C circuit design, minus a bunch of stuff that I don't really want or need (stereo selector, phase, loudness, scratch and rumble filters, indicator lights, balance control, center channel circuit), I'm sure you have the idea. Anyways, pics are attached, and are full size off the camera, sorry, 56k. What do you guys think?

post-15152-13819338581524_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

If your handy download the schematic for a Scott 208 power amplifier and use its circuit with some mild upgrades (contact me for these). The 208 power amplifier is basically the amplifier section of the 299C already designed for you. Let me know if I can help you.

In the mean time unplug it and QUIT using it. If it distorts at all but moderate listening levels it's ready to go KAAAAAAAABBBBAAAANNNNNNGGGG at any second.

Craig

I agree that the face plate isn't great, but this can be a very nice integrated with the right speaker. The capacitors need to be replaced as well as the bridge rectifier. Craig does very good work and is very helpful. Please take his advice, he knows what he is doing with these amps. I have his original LK-72, kit version of your amp and he fixed it up nicely. It is now running a pair of Heresys. Are there better tube amps? YES, but they don't go for $300. A McIntosh MC-30, VRD's and PCats just to name a few, but they will cost you five to ten times the amount of money.

You can fix them up for about 200 or so and they will be well worth the investment. You can probably sell them for close to your investment if they have been updated. Just do it!

I did not run the amp for very long, just a few minutes. I was just surprised as heck that it worked at all, and wanted to hear it. I know its in no shape to be operating right now. Yes, I have been lurking long enough to have a very clear idea about Craig's capabilities and reputation, and was glad that replied to this thread. I am leaning towards building my own chassis so that the integrated has the fit, form, and function that I would like for it to have. I am pretty "handy" and have a good background in electronics, among other things. I can solder fairly well, use a meter, and read a schematic, so I am hoping, with your guys' help I am not biting off more than I can chew. The challenge will be that tubes are particularly new to me, so Craig, there are probably gong to be a lot of questions coming your way, particularly about the circuit and modifications and such...I hope you don't mind!

• Like 1

Not at all shoot me an email or give me a call. It was a huge relief when you stated you have some experience and can read a schematic. You can download the Schematic for the 208 from www.hhscott.com or email me and I'll send you a copy. If this is going to be your first attempt at scratch built its probably best top stay fairly close to the original design to save on all the monkey business of tweaking something off the wall. When laying out your chassis make sure you factor in a choke above the chassis and plenty of room under the chassis for a beefed up power supply. You may want to convert the amp to 6L6GC/EL34 output tubes since your tube choices would be much more diverse.

Craig

That is one of the best Scott amps out there. It's fantastic that yours looks to have minimal or no work done on it. The best bet is to send it to Craig to be made safe and brought back up to spec. Many here have done that. I would not use that amp even one more time until it is rebuilt properly.