K-57-K - Mid Range horn

lakedmb

Hey guys, 

I was wondering if anyone has measured the frequency response for the K-57-K MF horn from the Klipsch Cornwall II's?  

Also, is there a diaphram available that would extend the K-57-K's upper frequency to 15-20kHz?

Thanks guys. 

Would any titanium diaphram work or is there a specific one that would be recommended?  What about aluminum diaphrams?  Any specifc ones out there that would make a good replacement?  

Also, would there be a good replacement for the HF diaphram as well?  Does anyone have the frequency response for the HF horn on Cornwalls?  Mine is the K-79-K 1" (2.54cm) Polymer diaphragm compression driver.

Thanks everyone.  Sorry for so many questions.

A titanium diaphragm is a good upgrade to the tweeter.  I can supply those to you.  Haven't tested a titanium in the midrange, but you should be able to buy those from Klipsch.  The one they use in the new Cornwall III should work in your midrange driver.

Bob Crites

bobcrites@mac.com 

Would any titanium diaphram work or is there a specific one that would be recommended? What about aluminum diaphrams? Any specifc ones out there that would make a good replacement?

Also, would there be a good replacement for the HF diaphram as well? Does anyone have the frequency response for the HF horn on Cornwalls? Mine is the K-79-K 1" (2.54cm) Polymer diaphragm compression driver.
Thanks everyone. Sorry for so many questions.

I'll chime in...why would you want to take the K57/K601 higher? The K-79 is a great tweeter, one of the best Klipsch ever put in a home speaker. Why they don't use it or Bob's CT-125 instead of that tired K-77 in the current Heritage I don't know. Trying to take the mid higher is going to do at least two not-so-good things...introduce more internal horn reflections above 6 KHz and have a driver that is too massive, large, and whose phase plug is not really set up for frequencies higher than 6 KHz anyway.

I have CW IIs also...

...as I was saying (household problem had to be solved) I have thw CW IIs also. I also use Bob's CT-125 in my center channel. It's an excellent tweeter. If you really want to improve youir CW II's, change out the caps in the crossover. Bob can help you there.

I'm wanting to go with a 4th Order Linkwitz-Riley crossover for them and actually pull the MF and HF horns out of the cabinet, seal it, and time align them on top.

Al Klappenberger (ALK) is the guy you need to talk to about that...some other folks have made extreme-slope networks here as well ...I've only done one 24 dB/octave L-R and it was for a small two-way MTM project...turned out well, but your mileage may vary...let us know how that goes...

• 2 months later...

Haven't tested a titanium in the midrange, but you should be able to buy those from Klipsch. The one they use in the new Cornwall III should work in your midrange driver.

Bob, the new Cornwall III uses a 1.75" dome while the Cornwall II had a 1.5" dome -- so are you sure the new dome will fit the K-75/K-52 motor and mate well with the old horn lens?

Haven't tested a titanium in the midrange, but you should be able to buy those from Klipsch. The one they use in the new Cornwall III should work in your midrange driver.

Bob, the new Cornwall III uses a 1.75" dome while the Cornwall II had a 1.5" dome -- so are you sure the new dome will fit the K-75/K-52 motor and mate well with the old horn lens?

No, that probably would not work.  I thought at first the CIII used a titanium 1.5 inch driver.  Since it it a 1.75, things would be all different.

I do think Klipsch has a 1.5 inch titanium diaphragm though. 

Bob