Penny Saver Score! (Large Pics)

garymd

LOTS of tubes I have no use for. I did find 2 brand new Amperex 12AT7s, one Bugle Boy and the other an Orange label. Lots of brand new 12ax7s dated 7/62. Sylvania or GE or Jan.....can't remember. Nice brand new Telefunkens (12AU7 and 6DJ8). Some Japanese 12AX7s (Curtis Mathes???) label. I think 99% are brand new, never been used and the latest date I found was 1962.

The tester works great. Original manuals and receipt from 1958. The smaller tester is an adaptor and goes with the big tester. Original manual included for the adaptor.

Also, lots of radio stuff that looks to be straight out of Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory. Bags and bags of tubes I've never heard of. I'll have to wait for Craig to come down in October to tell me what to keep.

Yes Lisa, the Tung-Sol box is a keeper!!

What would you want for 4....12AX7's.....for phono on Scott 299-D........

I'm in the same boat as Buckster..I need 4 12AX7's to further troubleshoot a Scott 299c phono noise problem.

or if anyone else has any extras for sale. I just don't trust eBay when buying tubes.

JJ

I want someone to tell me they need some weird tubes like 6SN7s. I have a gazillion odd tubes here. All NOS. There just weren't a lot of the standard 12AX7s, etc. I think I have a lot of 12AT7s and 12AU7s though. Sylvania with dates on the box - packed 7/62, etc.

I want someone to tell me they need some weird tubes like 6SN7s. I have a gazillion odd tubes here. All NOS. There just weren't a lot of the standard 12AX7s, etc. I think I have a lot of 12AT7s and 12AU7s though. Sylvania with dates on the box - packed 7/62, etc.

Find someone into the Wright Sound amplifiers. George uses 6SN7's in his many of his amps. There's more than one forum member here using his little mono's.

Very nice find Gary! I've been avoiding reading through the PS (and all other thrift rags) for months just to keep from hauling any more boxes of "junk" into the house in order to stay on good terms with the wife. Its posts like yours that make me regret that decision but I'm delighted that you found such a deal. Keep it up and you'll fill up your basement in no time. Congrats!

Well ladies and gentlemen, seems this great score wasn't quite as great as I initially thought. Yes, the tester along with the adaptor is probably worth about $300 if I ebay it. That was the big score. The Tung-Sol case is very cool also.

As far as tubes, there were a few gems and everything I tested was strong. This guy had about one of every tube on the planet and all but a couple were NOS from the 50s. All were labeled after he tested them and most of the dates were from April, 1958.

I found a Bugle Boy 12AT7, a couple Telefunken 12AT7s and a bunch of 12AU7s (also about 15 or so 5963s? which are 12AU7s). I put a couple pairs in my VRDs and they sounded great. One nice matched pair of 6SN7s and 3 odd but perfect 6SL7s. About 6 nice 6L6s and about 6 6V6s.

A couple of the 6L6s were cased in metal. I have no idea what those are for but I suspect it's not something anyone here would have any use for.

Bottom line: I really have nothing to offer here unfortunately. If anyone needs some kind of oddball tube, I'd be happy to look for them. Otherwise, I'm just going to keep what I have to use as spares. If anyone needs 12AU7s, I have a few nice matched pairs I'd be willing to part with.

I've come across many of these "scores" over the years--and yes, most of the tubes are radio and TV tubes that have little or no use for any of us into hi-fi. But that doesn't mean the tubes have no value--put the WHOLE LOT up on ebay with an inventory and you might get $100 or so--that way you don't have to put every single tube up individually. The little Tung Sol case is sweet! And that looks like a mighty fine tube tester. You scored--the Telefunken 12AT7s are worth what you paid for the lot, I'm SURE!! [;)]