Cornwall I vs Cornwall III

jascott

I am interested in opinions from those that may have "upgraded" from Cornwall I speakers to Cornwall III speakers. I currently have a pair of 83 Cornwall I speakers that contain the B3 network, K33E, K52H, and as of now, the CT125 tweeters. The cabinets are in decent shape, but I plan to refurbish the entire speaker. I have new B3 crossovers from Mr. Crites to go w/ the speakers, and plan to remove the laquer, fix the imperfections as best as I can and refinish them. I would also like to clean up the inside, upgrade the wires, etc.

I guess there are two parts to this question... (1) Should I continue down this path and perhaps make a few updates to these current Cornwalls? (2) Should I just throw in the rug, sell these either as-is or refinished and order a pair of the IIIs.

I am driving these w/ a Denon 2807 receiver, but I do plan to configure some sort of setup to allow tubes for music only listening. Lastly, are the IIIs bi-ample?

It seems every review I have seen has been absolutely positive about the IIIs, but I can't find anyone who has upgraded and posted a comparasion between the two. Perhaps that should tell me something...

• Moderators

Sorry no help from me, I have only heard the lll's. And yes the lll's can be bi amped there is the removable little metal strip between the connections on the rear. I love the lll's we listen almost every day but that still don't answer your question ?

I would say that you should keep them although it's very commendable that you wold consider purchasing new thereby helping ot keep the Heritage line alive. However, given you present equipment setup I believe those funs would be better employed on purchasing some tube gear for a 2 channel rig. The Denon's are nice but you can get a serious improvement in sound by going this suggested route.

As far as biamping, I'm not that technical but it should be relatively simple to make the changes needed to biamp the 1's

You really don't have CW Is anymore, more like 1.5s. Good to see you're are using the CT-125, that's a sweeter tweeter.

My advice: Keep these. I'm one of those that never agreed with Klipsch's decision to go to the 800 Hz mid on the CW IIIs (yeah, I've heard the rationale, and it still makes little sense, economically or technically). I'm sure the CW IIIs are fine, but what you have is at least as good and maybe, just maybe, better. Certainly more cost-effective.

The CW3 has the woofer in a different location. You would have to redo the motor board to really get a CW3. The bass is better in the CW3 over the CS1, but I like the midrange of the larger K600 horn in the CW1 over the K701 horn that is in the CW3. The larger horn, I think, gives a tad more midrange detail.

But this is my opinion. YMMV.

JM

I'm going to go ahead and refinish my Cornwalls and try to avoid the new ones... I would like to have a pair that I purchased new, but...

There aren't any dealers in the DFW area that actually have a pair in stock to listen to...

You made a wise financial decision. As stated earlier take the extra several grand and buy some nice two channel tube equipment. You will get more bang for your buck and if you really want the III's at a later date, you can always buy them.