THX KT PACKAGE

vnzbd

Hello Klipsch forum

This weekend I picked up the KT thx system(3-lcr & 2-ds). They are the light oak version. I hooked them up to an older Onkyo reciever to demo. I must say I was surprised by the sound. Much nicer than expected. I am curious to what the street price is typically for this set as well as what thier popularity back in the 90s. I haven't seen them mentioned on the forum before, or advertised for sale. I remember seeing an ad in Stereo Review for these speakers, it had a Star Wars theme to it. That ad was what got me hooked to stereo/home theater. Thanks for any input.

VNZBD

hello vnzbd,

i own the kt system as my home theater. i also have the kt sub that comes with that package. don't know if you knew that or not. i really like this system because when it was developed, it was actually held to the pro type specs for theaters when it came to polar responses because as thx said, "uh well you're using horns...". this system is what lead me down the path to trying out to understand power response and what directivity it yeilds. it never caught on cause thx back then, was really into spec (not like the marketing machine they are now) and proper placement of the speakers and having the same speaker used across the front so the center had to be stood up in order for it to work right. most people did not like standing up the center speaker so the next center channels came out horizontal. so much for spec........... :) but i am also quite partial to this system....i designed it.

have a blessed night,

roy

Thanks for the info guys. I don't believe I have ever seen or heard of the thx sub on the forums. What makes it meet thx spec? My guess would be spl or a rolled of bottom end. This weekend I will set the system up in place of my current system and enjoy some favorite dvds. The comment on the vertical center channel does not come as a shock. In my current set up I have a KLF-C7. I had experimented with it vertically with good results. I built a new cabinet for it with the tweeter on top, and even my wife noticed a difference in sound. At the time of the cabinet rebuild I also replaced the caps in the 7 as well as my KLF-10s. Although It does sound differnt to me, and I could say better, it is hard for me to say just how. I do not know if it is due to the speakers 2-way design vs a 3-way, or if it is just my ears, a 1-way design!

Thanks again for the info

VNZBD

• 11 months later...

hello vnzbd,

i own the kt system as my home theater. i also have the kt sub that comes with that package. don't know if you knew that or not. i really like this system because when it was developed, it was actually held to the pro type specs for theaters when it came to polar responses because as thx said, "uh well you're using horns...". this system is what lead me down the path to trying out to understand power response and what directivity it yeilds. it never caught on cause thx back then, was really into spec (not like the marketing machine they are now) and proper placement of the speakers and having the same speaker used across the front so the center had to be stood up in order for it to work right. most people did not like standing up the center speaker so the next center channels came out horizontal. so much for spec........... :) but i am also quite partial to this system....i designed it.

have a blessed night,

roy

I somehow missed this thread way back them. I really enjoyed the KT-LCR's Roy. Great speakers. Wish I still had them. Congratulations on the design.

Keith

Just an update on my KT-LCR speakers. I have put my KSP-S6 surrounds into storage and am currently using 2 of the LCRs for surrounds with the legends. They use the same tweeter as the c7. I have been listening to alot of music and much prefer the LCRs over the S6s with my current apartment restrictions. They are great surrounds for movies also!

First I'm thinking, 'wow he got Roy out of hiding' (you see, Roy's been busy in the Klipsch Utility Research Kitchen lately), then I say 2007.

I did miss this bit on the first go-round though- OAK - these were available in OAK? That's a different era when someone would want a pro/home HT setup in oak.

Also this from the item description (thanks for the link). How's this for old fashioned state of the art?

"The KT-LCR front left, right, and center channels are video shielded, and will not discolor a television picture."

We hadn't even heard of flat panel, plasma, LCD back then and projectors cost the entire gross national product of Peru.

And to be honest, I bet that system rocked!!!! NOTICE!! ---> The three front speakers are all the same.

Hmm timber matters...

The current THX HT system same thing.. All three up front match... I see and feel a trend here.... LOL

If the backs matched the fronts, it might even be better!

Add to this, Roy designed it too... hehehehehehe Maybe a "hidden gem" here for people to acquire too?