FS Jensen Capped AAs

joshnich

What has been said regarding these networks is correct. They sound incredible. you all know what cap upgrades can do for you amps etc...the same is true with networks - or at least that has been my experience. I thought about keeping them should I ever put my speakers back to original but in reality that is not going to happen!

Josh

"The only difference I see between the two diodes is the black ring of insulation on the new ones, but not on the Rusy ones Bob's son was repairing in this picture."

The mounting acts like a heat sink, so I wonder if the insulator transfer heat....

Hello Josh,

If these are still for sale, I'm very interested. I've been wanting to recap my '78 Khorns for a while. I'll need to sell off some of my extra audio gear first though. I'll have to talk with the wife first also. Shoot me an email or PM if you still have them and can give me a couple of weeks for payment.

Also, Josh or Dean, could you tell me if these are what you'd call "bright" or "warm" sounding and if they sound good with lower volumes (thats what I usually listen at).

Thanks - David

The caps in networks as old as yours are highly resistive, so replacing them means the sound will be 'brighter' than what you're used to. However, if you were to compare these to a pair built with modern polypropylenes, they would sound marginally 'warmer'. 'Brighter' and 'warmer' are just general terms and don't really tell the whole story. 'Bright' usually carries a negative connotation with it, which is unfortunate. Right now, I imagine the output of your tweeters to be down quite a bit compared to your midrange, and I would say getting your highs back in line to where they should be is a good thing. The output will be cleaner too, and you'll like that very much. My opinion is that the Type A and AA excel for lower level listening, though many have no problem pushing the VC to 11 with them. I still think the Jensens PIO's probably come the closest to what PK originally heard 40 years ago.

The only difference I see between the two diodes is the black ring of insulation on the new ones, but not on the Rusy ones Bob's son was repairing in this picture.

Right, I guess you noticed it the first time around but it didn't look like you drew your line to the rubber washer. Like Michael Crites indicated, the rear of the zeners have to be in contact with the bracket to work. It's a good example of what can happen when you don't understand how and why something works. The idea of adding the washers came about after redoing a few old AA's, and after taking them down -- noticing corrosion between the back of the zeners and bracket. After I finished the networks and posted the pic, Bob saw it and sent me a nice email (as opposed to publically embarrassing me on the forum:).

Dean, absolutely no intent to embarrass you from me. The Jensen's that you sold me several years ago sound wonderful in my Cornwalls. The diode was circled because I learned what it was from Michael and Bob's post of Michael's project made it easier for me to see the difference. I did notice the part and something was different, but for the life of me I did not understand what it was. Those black washers sure looked purdy. Too bad they cause the part to not work properly. Got to hate these visual learners who have to see the picture with all of the items circled and labelled for it to make sense, (me). Wink If you remember correctly, you did an actual layout of where the wires went for a p-trap on the Cornwall B-network for me, since I couldn't make hides or tails out of the schematic.

I Iwas just trying to learn more from the process. You do great work and have learned a lot from Al, Bob, Craig and you in regards to crossovers and capacitors.

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb098&pp=ZNxmk673YYCA

Hello Josh and Dean. Sorry to take so long responding. Things went hectic this last week. I'm probably going to have to back out of what seems like a very nice pair of crossovers due to some unforseen expenses that have come up.

Josh, I appolgize for jumping the gun and thank you for your offer to hold them until I sold some gear. I just think it might take me longer to make some hobby money with my other expenses. Good luck on the sale; I'll keep tabs on the thread in case you still have the networks when things get better for me.

Dean, thanks for responding and the information. I love my Khorns for their dynamics when I have the rare chance to really crank them or when watching moves, but I do tend to use and enjoy them most of the time at modereate lower levels when I need to relax. For this reason, I've figered I'd go for some simpler 1st order networks from what I've read on the fourm. The increased detail of updated caps will be welcome though I'm happy with my ignorance of how my Khorns should sound at this time. [:P]