Thorens 124 change of plans. SME 3012

Hope Im not becoming too much of pain with all of these questions?

A SME 3012 came my way before a 3009. Here is a pic of the arm I bought and plan to use with the SPU.

Any downside in going this route?

Anything I need to buy to make it compatible with the SPU?

Thanks, Pete

That's the ulitmate arm for the SPU. Original box and all. That should have cost you 2 grand all by itself! Beautiful arm though, that's what I have on my Garrard. Where did that surface?

Does the counterweight droop? Looks straight. I don't see any coupling rubber between the tube that holds the counterweight and the arm tube. This rubber breaks down sometimes and the counterweight droops in the back.

You shouldn't need anything. What I would do(and did do to mine) was to replace the connectors underneath with the RCA replacement kit from that place in Europe. I've posted a link to it before, the name escapes me right now. They'll be very picky about making sure they know which model you have. Send them the picture just ot be sure. I spent years with the damn SME finickly cables. Sometimes they hum, sometimes they don't. No matter how well I cleaned, resoldered etc.

That wood tone arm could be a Grace. If so you should be able to sell it and recoup a considerable amout of your investment. 3012's are so cool, but out of my price range. I'll stick to my 3009. Man i've got to drop by some time Pete. You sure have some cool stuff.

Jeremy

Scott, first off thanks for the continued input. It is much appreciated.

I bought it on Ebay this morning. Talked to the seller and he relisted it as a "Buy it Now" for me.

Very nice guy to deal with.

Paid a grand and he tossed the second arm into the mix. I should see it in a few days.

I hope it looks good in person, I kind of rolled the dice not knowing what I should offer?

Jeremy you should stop by, Im right by Midway Airport.

post-14158-13819339414218_thumb.jpg

Nice price. He would have probably seen $1300 to $1500 had he let his auction run. All it takes it one tt collector who doesn't have this arm to decide he wants one and really doesn't care much about what he pays. Looks like the arm is pretty good to go since you have the SPU cartridge. Seeing that he doesn't have the original harness, I would definitely install RCA's on the bottom. Way better than spending $100+ on an original SME harness/connector that is beat to crap, in my mind. Seeing how much fun you're having buying stuff, you'll enjoy the chance to buy and wait for one more piece of the puzzle.

http://www.analogtubeaudio.de/index.php?article_id=131&clang=1

The wood arm looks like a Grado to me. They aren't worth that much. But they're fun to look at.

Congrats! That's the "best" arm for the SPU. I use both the 3012 and the Ikeda IT-407 (three times the price you paid) and I would be just as happy with a pair of 3012 arms!

The NOS SME kits to change out to RCA jacks are also readily available. I bought one for Gary's 3009 from Flat Earth Audio here in the USA. I have installed about half a dozen of the SME kits and they are well made and easy to install--anyone with any reasonable experience soldering can do it in about 30 mintues from start to finish. I have never seen the Euro kit---I'm sure it's nice, but the SME kit is cheap and "correct."

Do you need a 12" armboard for your table? I am pretty sure I have an extra one around here. It's yours for the shipping costs if you need it.

http://www.flatearthaudio.com/

I would suggest you just give them a call rather than send an email--they'll have it to you in a couple of days!

Congrats! That's the "best" arm for the SPU. I use both the 3012 and the Ikeda IT-407 (three times the price you paid) and I would be just as happy with a pair of 3012 arms!

The NOS SME kits to change out to RCA jacks are also readily available. I bought one for Gary's 3009 from Flat Earth Audio here in the USA. I have installed about half a dozen of the SME kits and they are well made and easy to install--anyone with any reasonable experience soldering can do it in about 30 mintues from start to finish. I have never seen the Euro kit---I'm sure it's nice, but the SME kit is cheap and "correct."

Do you need a 12" armboard for your table? I am pretty sure I have an extra one around here. It's yours for the shipping costs if you need it.

http://www.flatearthaudio.com/

I would suggest you just give them a call rather than send an email--they'll have it to you in a couple of days!

What does Flatearth want for their SME RCA kit these days? A couple of years ago when I needed one they were killing me with price and "no stock". Thats' why I sought out the euro folks. If they're reasonable and in stock, I would certainly have no problem getting a correct kit from them. The euro kits are about $50 and so far have fit like a charm. The kits are really nothing more than a couple of nice RCA jacks but the spacing is important for a nice clean fit.

Pete...It is wise to keep the origional arm board, even though its not being used. This increases the value of the TD124,,. You never know what new and inovative tone arm might come along..Then you would have the correct board, For example,, The new Grahm 44 now comes with a standard pivet base or a Shure slide base. Later you might decide to make a switched when you win the Lottery. PS that wood arm was made by Gray.

Thanks guys!

Looks like Im a step closer, the puzzle is coming together.

I will give Flat Earth a call for the RCA kit.

Allan, I could use that armboard now, thanks for the generous offer.

If anyone needs a 3009 armboard, I wont be using mine.

Send me your address via PM or email and I'll get it off to you straight away . . .

I will pack it well and ship it either Priority Mail or FedEx Ground, which ever you prefer.

If you do decide to part with your 3009 arm board, I could use one. I was planning on making my own when I swap over to the 3009. I'm still using the stock Thorens arm until I finish my plinth then i'm going to mount my 3009. It may be wise to keep it though as Maron pointed out.

Jeremy