Please Read and Speak your Mind : )

wsu99999

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the forum and wanted to ask a quick question. I just purchased a Klipsch system and I'm wondering if maybe I chose the wrong setup. To be honest with you, I'm not that impressed. I wanted to ask a few things briefly and get your feedback.

1.) I just purchased a pair of B-3's with a C-2 and a pair of S-2's. Powering it is an Harman Kardon AVR 247. My first question is does the 247 supply enough power for my new Klipsch speakers to be happy?

The reason I'm asking is because while my B-3's sound marvelous, as does the C-2, the S-2's aren't impressive at all. They don't get loud at all, and it seems as if the center and front's are constantly overpowering them. Even with them extrememly close to the listener. I also have them turned up significantly. The AVR247 is rated via HK @ 50W/Channel - which I understand is more realistically something like 85-100 W/ CH. Is this enough power?

2.) For the price that I paid for the Synergy setup, I could have purchased a Reference Setup such as the RB-51 or even RB-61 with a bit of an upgrade in price. Have I made a big mistake by shelling out all of this coin on the Synergy setup or would I be just as happy with the Low end Ref series?

3.) What do you think of the HK AVR 247?

I appreciate everyone's feedback, and just so you know, I am much happier with the Klipsch setup than my prior installation. I am in no way saying that the S-2 is a sub par product, all I am asking is if the issue is on my receiver, or possibly a configuration issue with the receiver. I upgraded from a Bose Lifestyle system, and I must say - WOW. The sound is in no way compaired. Zero distortion, and much higher volume levels. Crystal clear sound. I must say, if the surround during movies was more prominate, and made me feel inside of the movie, I would be happy as a clam.

The one thing that I can say, is until I get the surround issue settled, I won't be truely happy with my purchase. The bose system gave me more of a feel of being inside of the movie - even without as good of sound quality - and I know I am going to be flamed for saying so (bose sucks, I get it) :)

Thank you for all of your input in advance!
Regards,
Arron

Have you calibrated your speakers with a SPL meter? That should make a big difference. You should have a decent sounding system and be satisfied, particularly considering that you were previously listening to Bose.

Good luck.

SPL calibration is critical to knowing you have the setup correct. You can get one at radio shack or sears. I use a craftsman one and it works fine.

If you're not familiar with the sensitivity specification on loudspeakers, you should be. Your center is the most sensitive, followed by your bookshelf fronts, then your surrounds. There's about a 4.5 dB difference in sensitivity in your setup. This means that you'll have to set the bookshelfs and surrounds to a higher volume level to have them sound the same.

Many movies don't have alot of surround material. Its set to be almost subliminal, in that you don't really notice it outright, it just fills in around you unnoticed. You can hear it if you listen, but it shouldn't pull your attention away from the fronts, unless there's a specific action, like a car coming up from behind or a chopper going overhead from front to rear.

Calibrating your levels with a meter should make everything right. More power would help everything for you.

Synergy and bookshelf speakers are quite a ways down the Klipsch totem pole. Just know that there is alot of space above you to move up if you want to experience truly jaw dropping sound.

Kimball

As far as the SPL meter... What do I do with it exactly?

As far as the Synergy series - would you reccomend that I return it and purchase a low end Reference series?

Thanks,

Arron

You get your system to put out test tones, one channel at a time, and use the receivers's level controls to match the levels of all the speakers, as heard from your listening position. You can do it by ear, but the meter is far more accurate. If the levels are not well-matched, you won't get good surround effect. You don't need to turn the volume really high to do this. 80dB is usually plenty.

Also, on many DVDs, as was pointed out, there may not be much rear channel content. In most cases, the action is onscreen and that's where most of the sound comes from. With some concert DVDs, for example, you'll hear the audience applauding behind and around you very clearly, but with some others, it will all seem to come from in front of you. It all depends on how the sound engineer mixed it.

SPL meter is a key element. To this day I STILL use mine, even after years. Always trying to tweak it.

Place the SPL meter on a setting that all speakers will respond to and do the test tone. Sit in your "sweet spot" and etart with your center channel speaker and set it to a certain db level of your choosing by adjusting the loudness level on your amp. Then go around to all speakers and do the same adjusting each speaker to that test level. Then you'll have it set correctly. Of course you will do this time and time again.

As for returning your speakers, I cannot speak to that....just enjoy what you have and don't get caught up in the hype. There will aways be a better speaker right around the corner for a few dollars more, it never ends! Just enjoy what you have!

As for returning your speakers, I cannot speak to that....just enjoy what you have and don't get caught up in the hype. There will aways be a better speaker right around the corner for a few dollars more, it never ends! Just enjoy what you have!

Very good advice. The Synergy system and your receiver should give you a great HT experience. Get your speakers levels equal and enjoy you system.

You do know how to set the individual speaker levels? We tend to talk about it like it's obvious but first we need to know that you know how to do that. An SPL meter is simply a sound meter that measures sound levels. You reveiver should have a test tone setting that plays one speaker at a time and allows you to adjust each speaker sound level one at a time. The meter will tell you exactly(no guessing) how loud each speaker is. In most movies the surrounds should be pretty subtle, not screaming out at you unless there is truly something behind you(you being the camera usually) in the movie.

You can set the SPL by ear - no need to waste $30 on a meter.

Is it safe to assume you have the surrounds properly positioned and aimed at the listening position?

So first step, run the test tones on your receiver. This is the mode

where it plays a static sound in one speaker at a time, allowing you to

change the volume and set the balance of all the speakers. Leave the

mains at 0, and then compensate with the center and surrounds so that

they all sound the same volume. You might be able to do this more

accurately by measuring SPL with a meter, but I have a feeling that

you'll end up wanting to set your surrounds a little bit "too hot" -

which the meter isn't going to help you with.

Second step - how do you have the DVD player connected to the receiver?

You need to make sure that the DVD player is outputting a digital

signal, which is a setting inside the DVD player's setup menu. And then

you need to make sure that you are running a digital audio cable

between the DVD Player and the receiver. This can be either an optical

cable or a digital coax. You do not want to be running analog out of

the DVD player (so no red/white pair of RCA cables).

Third step - you need set the receiver to accept a digital input for

the DVD mode on the receiver. The manual should walk you through this

process. The main goal here is ensuring that the receiver says "Dolby

Digital" or "DTS" on its front panel when you're playing a movie. If it

says something like "PLIIx" or "Neo:6" then you are not receiving a

proper digital signal. The significance here is that these matrixed

modes do not have as much surround information.

If you have done all of this setup and things still sound off, then I

dunno what to tell ya. There is no reason why you should feel that the

S-2's aren't able to keep up.