advice for my friend (break-in on RF-7s)

jrios212

i own a pair of RB-75s and my friend really grew to like their sound.  he described them as very detailed and crisp.

due to his experiences with my speakers, he recently purchased a pair of rf-7s and i'm afraid he may be having some regrets.  he mentioned to me that these sounds a little bright to him and he's not sure if likes them.

all the amps, etc are the same as when we were listening to the rb-75s.

so my questions is, does it take some time for the rf-7 tweeter to break in and soften up a bit?  i feel like it has too considering my rb-75s have the same tweeter.

any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.  i don't want to lose a recently klipsch convert so quickly. :(

jacob

Several things will affect the sound quality: position in the room of the speakers, seating position relative to the location of the speakers, room size, etc, etc.

Some people have tried to 'loosen up' their new RF-7s by playing some music pretty loudly on a loop all day long while they were away. Go ahead and try that. It certainly won't hurt anything and it might help them a bit. Something with a full spectrum of bass-midrange-treble.

Many will say that speaker break in is a myth but as having heard reference series right out of the box it does take awhile for the tweeter to sound its best,many will say that it is the user who is getting broken in but on the pair I had I left them play while I was away for the weekend and three days later they were a different speaker.just tell him to turn the tuner on and let them play while he is at work[:D]

1. What's the distance between listenning position and speakers.

2. Are they both placed near room corners, and what is the shape of the room.

3. What transporter is he using? (e.g. CD player model, etc)

4. Can you get your RB75 to his room to evaluate the differences. As far as I know it's the same horn, but you share different acoustics.

I used a swept sine wave track (20Hz to 20KHz) on a CD that contains various audio "utility" tracks. The sine output amplitude reduces as the frequency goes up so the tweeter isn't blown.

I set the amplitude so it was higher than I could tolerate (I wore ear protectors when in the room). Be careful! don't blow the speakers. A sine wave produces considerable driver motion at minimal power. I found the woofers moved at least +/- 1/4" at 20Hz.I set the cd player to repeat the swept sine track and let it play all day, two days in a row.

The result was an overall smoother speaker sound with stronger bass.

Other tips: speakers in corners to reinforce rear ported bass, power line filtering, amp that is low in distortion at low power.

Good luck,

Leo

It's been two years since I purchased my 7's and they still seem like they're warming up!! They were very harsh at first so I played them while I was at work for two weeks straight. The harshness went away but as far as the brightness..........maybe I just got used to them...............but after 12-18 months they were anything but bright, just clean and natural sounding. Awesome speakers.

I'd like to get a brand new pair and do a blind test..........IMO the RF-7's and the higher end Klipsch aren't just the flavor of the month..........they're a permanant investment.

• Moderators

I haven't had any experience with new Reference speakers. I have had experience with new Cornwall IIIs. I could tell and difference after playing the speakers for a couple of weeks. We have now had the Cornwall IIIs for almost one year. My husband and I were discussing the Cornwall IIIs again the other night and we both agree the more listening hours we put on them they get the warmer they seem to sound.

Some on this forum would disagree with that statement. However, after speaking with Richard Paynting, Klipsch Engineering Department I was assured that even on the RoomGroove systems the tweeters will sound "less bright" with a little playing time. As I said some folks think "break in time" is a fallacy, I on the other hand think it's a fact.