Sipping wine, listening to good music...

ibanezhater

Why do all the reviewers for the magazines always write about drinking wine while enjoying music? Of course, it's relaxing, but wouldn't too much wine ruin the experience? Before you know it, the Diana Krall CD gets tossed aside for Lynyrd Skynyrd's Greatest Hits, then you get out of your comfy chair and stumble into and knock down your big a$$ reference speakers, etc.

Everyone knows weed is the better enhancer. [pi]

It's the best room treatment I know.

-Mike in NEPA

Speaking only for myself, no matter how wasted I or my friends, or my dates, or my friends dates ever got, no speakers were ever harmed. Choose your substance, it never mattered. I suspect it's the current snobbery of whomever you are reading. BTW, who reads that crap anyway?

i just had about 18 natural light's, and I've never liked my clapton so much :)

damn right about the roommate's, I came in from class early one day last semester and my roommate was blasting rap loud enough to hear 100 feet down the hall, no joke

as to the wine, mixed half and half with grape juice, and I'll pound a bottle or two, otherwise, ugh

Why do all the reviewers for the magazines always write about drinking wine while enjoying music? Of course, it's relaxing, but wouldn't too much wine ruin the experience? Before you know it, the Diana Krall CD gets tossed aside for Lynyrd Skynyrd's Greatest Hits, then you get out of your comfy chair and stumble into and knock down your big a$$ reference speakers, etc.

-Mike in NEPA

It's the CDs that suffer the worst fate.

Usually its 3 to 4 in the morning or so when the lights get turned out. Returning to the scene of the crime later that day usually brings the task of not only cleaning up all the dirty glasses and bottles. Checking for any leftover evidence of illegal activities. Putting the furniture back in place (the coffee table having been used a dance platform). Turning off the equipment that was left on. Why is one amp on but the other is off?

Now you are facing the task of reassembling the collection of CDs left in multiple spots all over the room. Including a large pile on the floor in front of the equipment rack, most not in their cases.

The ones that are in cases are in the wrong ones.

Why does this case have two CDs in it? It's only meant to have one.

How did a stack of them get in the kitchen?

Why do I have more CDs than cases?

Was this one used as a coaster?

How did the Monkees compilation disk end up in the Muddy Waters case?

Good God, did we actually listen to "Smokin' in the Boy's Room" by Brownsville Station and how late was that?

How long will it be before you can focus clearly enough to actually take that stack and refile them alphabetically onto their appropriate shelves?

Oh and don't forget the one you left in the CD player when you turned it off.

- Jim

-Mike in NEPA

It's the CDs that suffer the worst fate.

Usually its 3 to 4 in the morning or so when the lights get turned out. Returning to the scene of the crime later that day usually brings the task of not only cleaning up all the dirty glasses and bottles. Checking for any leftover evidence of illegal activities. Putting the furniture back in place (the coffee table having been used a dance platform). Turning off the equipment that was left on. Why is one amp on but the other is off?

Now you are facing the task of reassembling the collection of CDs left in multiple spots all over the room. Including a large pile on the floor in front of the equipment rack, most not in their cases.

The ones that are in cases are in the wrong ones.

Why does this case have two CDs in it? It's only meant to have one.

How did a stack of them get in the kitchen?

Why do I have more CDs than cases?

Was this one used as a coaster?

How did the Monkees compilation disk end up in the Muddy Waters case?

Good God, did we actually listen to "Smokin' in the Boy's Room" by Brownsville Station and how late was that?

How long will it be before you can focus clearly enough to actually take that stack and refile them alphabetically onto their appropriate shelves?

Oh and don't forget the one you left in the CD player when you turned it off.

- Jim

Yep, I know what you mean.

I lost more CDs (damn thieves!) while in college than I care to remember, but I did end up "borrowing" a boat load of titles from the college radio station that I conveniently forgot to return.

It's no safer for stereo systems while living in the barracks either. While stationed in Germany back in the '80s I shared a two-man room with a drunk...it was after 3 in the morning when I was awakened by a splashing sound like someone spilling water on the tile floor. Between mine and my roommate's bunks was a huge bookshelf that housed my stereo system with all my vinyl LPs on the bottom shelves. The noise I heard was my drunk roommate who had stumbled in so plastered he didn't even realize where he was...when I turned on my lamp I was amazed to see him standing right in front of the bookshelf with his eyes closed listing from side to side...urinating all over my LPs as if he was in the latrine taking a leak in front of a urinal! I immediately jumped from my bunk and slapped him around a bit...he came to just in time to realize he wasn't in the latrine but in our room; as soon as he zipped himself up he slumped back and collapsed on his bunk. He passed out not knowing that he ruined a third of my 300 or so albums, one of them being a mint first pressing of Led Zeppelin II that I cherished! The urine was like acid and just stained and warped the vinyl to the point that even after a thorough washing they were completely unplayable. To this day I only have one album that survived that fateful night (all the others were so severely damaged that they were literally thrown away in the dumpster), and even on the tiniest of spots where the urine penetrated the grooves, the highest frequencies are completely muted and dull and basically unlistenable in that particular spot...I only kept that Pink Floyd The Wall album because my high school sweetheart gave it to me as a birthday gift (it was released in December '79, just 2 days shy of my birthday). And yes, after my roommate suffered thru his painful hangover (and a bruised jaw), he apologized numerous times and paid me back for every album he ruined! And what a mess I got stuck cleaning up that night...at least he didn't pee all over my Carver and Nakamichi equipment!

Oh, what was I ever thinkin' Spinner? Boy, you got me on that one, yessiree...can't pull a fast one over on you.

I forgot you're an absolute know-it-all and an expert on everything. Boy was I ever stupid to think I could ever lie to you...what a dumbass I am!

I'm no expert on the scientific properties of human urine mixed with alcohol on vinyl recordings that seep through record jackets and paper sleeves, that much is true. But as an experiment to preserve that ever-growing ego of yours, why don't you drink a 6-pack of your favorite beer along with a few shots of tequila and then piss all over a stack of your precious LPs, and then observe what happens when it's left there to soak in awhile. Then report back to the forum with your expounding words of wisdom with the results.

But why believe what I have to say? Afterall, I just made that story up...

well, BeJesus, .. Jim ... don't goin' get all twisted up about some 'ol record's ...

hell, I keep mine in the woodpile, seein' as it'll get dam cold in upstate NY next month ..

Central heats another century away here, jus' ask O.B.

nottin' start's a fire ...

like '50's Vinyl .....[:)]

After it was air dried (he washed it in '04), we could still plainly see the rectangle image on the vinyl of a folded up poster that came with the album which was on the outside of the sleeve tucked inside the jacket. Back in '84 when the incident happened, the poster was soaked in urine and had dried up before I had discovered it, and when the poster was peeled away from that saturated portion of the sleeve, the dull stain on the wax was where the urine had soaked into the grooves...

post-11084-13819339866362_thumb.jpg

My roommate was intoxicated from drinking all night...that's what I meant about urine mixed with booze.

And had I known he liked to get wasted and look for albums that are placed on bottom shelves so he could purposely piss all over 'em, I would've put them in my wall locker. But who knew...

post-11084-13819339867372_thumb.jpg

It's no safer for stereo systems while living in the barracks either. While stationed in Germany back in the '80s I shared a two-man room with a drunk...it was after 3 in the morning when I was awakened by a splashing sound like someone spilling water on the tile floor. Between mine and my roommate's bunks was a huge bookshelf that housed my stereo system with all my vinyl LPs on the bottom shelves. The noise I heard was my drunk roommate who had stumbled in so plastered he didn't even realize where he was...when I turned on my lamp I was amazed to see him standing right in front of the bookshelf with his eyes closed listing from side to side...urinating all over my LPs as if he was in the latrine taking a leak in front of a urinal! I immediately jumped from my bunk and slapped him around a bit...he came to just in time to realize he wasn't in the latrine but in our room; as soon as he zipped himself up he slumped back and collapsed on his bunk. He passed out not knowing that he ruined a third of my 300 or so albums, one of them being a mint first pressing of Led Zeppelin II that I cherished! The urine was like acid and just stained and warped the vinyl to the point that even after a thorough washing they were completely unplayable. To this day I only have one album that survived that fateful night (all the others were so severely damaged that they were literally thrown away in the dumpster), and even on the tiniest of spots where the urine penetrated the grooves, the highest frequencies are completely muted and dull and basically unlistenable in that particular spot...I only kept that Pink Floyd The Wall album because my high school sweetheart gave it to me as a birthday gift (it was released in December '79, just 2 days shy of my birthday). And yes, after my roommate suffered thru his painful hangover (and a bruised jaw), he apologized numerous times and paid me back for every album he ruined! And what a mess I got stuck cleaning up that night...at least he didn't pee all over my Carver and Nakamichi equipment!

Now that is brutal!!! People like that make you want to be a hermit. At least he paid you back. I wouldn't like to have seen your face if he'd said, "Piss off, ya whiner!"