OT: Wonder how many Klipsch nuts also golf?

anarchist

Another Golf Story.

I used to golf alot in my 20's. Myself and some freinds were at a County course on a long par 5, it wasn't really raining out but misting. I had a lousy tee shot so I was the first to take my second shot, there was a foursome ahead us well down the fairway, I looked and said there is no way I can reach them so I take out my 3 wood and crank the hell out of it, a low screamer. As I watch my ball just keep on going I decided a panicked yell of 4 was in order, the foursome heard my warning and began to scatter in all different directions, I loose sight of the ball and see one of the fousome go down to the ground and begin to roll around in pain. I rushed down the fairway and approach the foursome, one of the men was laughing uncontrolably, it turns out it was a father and his 3 sons playing together, I profusely apologize as the son gets up off the ground sporting a fine welt on his neck, he starts laughing also. For a moment I thought I was going to be the first golfer convicted of manslaughter on a golf course.

Phill

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have any of you guys ever played at any of these courses? http://www.rtjgolf.com/trail/

My friends from Pittsburgh that I am meeting this weekend just finished a 6 week golf outing, and it all began in Alabama at RTJ Trail. They said it was very nice there, except they couldn't understand anybody because of their accents. [:)]

They then proceeded to Atlanta where they got to play Peach Tree (very exclusive) among others, then on to Orlando where they played Bay Hill 3 times, Lake Nona (very exclusive), then up to Sawgrass for 4 days, Kiawah Island (Ocean Course) for 2 days, Myrtle Beach for 10 days and then Pinehurst for 10 days (#2, #4, #8, etc). They took $12k with them (each) on this trip and didn't have to pay for rooms except in Alabama, Sawgrass and Kiawah. The golf trip of a lifetime!

Mike

That's a great trip, pretty exclusive places. I have a friend who joined Shady Oaks last yr. That's Ben Hogan's place in Ft Worth. They have his dinner table still fully setup, kinda eerie actually but a great track.

I'm 52 now and have been playing hard since I was 7. Played high school golf (last on the team but my twin bro was captain) but started to "get it" when I was in college. The school had a really nice course built into the hills of Lewisburg, PA, and I could have unlimited play there for $35/semester (deal!). I usually played a few times a week.

It wasn't until I was 40 that I was financially comfortable enough to join a modest club, and I played there until two years ago when we moved to Hilton Head. We belong to Spanish Wells club here, a totally unpretentious 9 hole course with two sets of tees if you want to play 18. It has the cutest little clubhouse right on Calibogue Sound, burgers are $6 and cold drafts are $1. There are no tee times, just walk on. We live on the corner of the 7th, a dogleg par 5, and sometimes Jack, my 7 year old, and I will just walk on at 7, play the next 9 holes and walk off at the house. It's a nice walk and is just LOW STRESS.

Since selling my company in April, we've been doing house projects, but since Jack's been out of school, he and I have played 2-3 times per week. He loves it and I just cherish the quality father-son time.

I'm presently playing to a 4, but had to lay off from 9/06 to 3/07 due to a badly herniated disc and recovery from surgery.

Golf is just a great game. I would love to take Carrie and Jack to Scotland and Ireland for a two week tour of some of the great old courses (and some scotch).

Chris

Chris,

Now I REALLY wish I knew you were at Hilton Head last year. I ended up playing by myself (as opposed to with myself).

We'll be heading to Daufuskie (sp?) Island for a week in September (9-16). Any chance you can grab the ferry and come join me one day for a round?

BTW - If you ever make it to Ireland, make sure to play Ballybunion. Maybe the best course I've ever played. Certainly the best links course I've played. I get to play Congressional on occasion since one of my friends is the club's bowling pro. They have 4 duckpin lanes in their basement.

[H]

I'm 52 now and have been playing hard since I was 7. Played high school golf (last on the team but my twin bro was captain) but started to "get it" when I was in college. The school had a really nice course built into the hills of Lewisburg, PA, and I could have unlimited play there for $35/semester (deal!). I usually played a few times a week.

It wasn't until I was 40 that I was financially comfortable enough to join a modest club, and I played there until two years ago when we moved to Hilton Head. We belong to Spanish Wells club here, a totally unpretentious 9 hole course with two sets of tees if you want to play 18. It has the cutest little clubhouse right on Calibogue Sound, burgers are $6 and cold drafts are $1. There are no tee times, just walk on. We live on the corner of the 7th, a dogleg par 5, and sometimes Jack, my 7 year old, and I will just walk on at 7, play the next 9 holes and walk off at the house. It's a nice walk and is just LOW STRESS.

Since selling my company in April, we've been doing house projects, but since Jack's been out of school, he and I have played 2-3 times per week. He loves it and I just cherish the quality father-son time.

I'm presently playing to a 4, but had to lay off from 9/06 to 3/07 due to a badly herniated disc and recovery from surgery.

Golf is just a great game. I would love to take Carrie and Jack to Scotland and Ireland for a two week tour of some of the great old courses (and some scotch).

Chris

Chris,

Now I REALLY wish I knew you were at Hilton Head last year. I ended up playing by myself (as opposed to with myself).

We'll be heading to Daufuskie (sp?) Island for a week in September (9-16). Any chance you can grab the ferry and come join me one day for a round?

BTW - If you ever make it to Ireland, make sure to play Ballybunion. Maybe the best course I've ever played. Certainly the best links course I've played. I get to play Congressional on occasion since one of my friends is the club's bowling pro. They have 4 duckpin lanes in their basement.

Gary and I swapped a few emails and we'll definitely be getting together for some "flog on the funway" when he's down here in September. We'll just figure it out when once he's near. Daufuskie Island, is, as the crow flies, just a few miles from our house, but to get there, you have to take a ferry. There are no cars on the island; you navigate by golf cart. Never been there, but see it everyday. Glad he's finally given us the incentive to get over there and perambulate!

Schedule permitting, we'll try to find the time to get together here on HH ... maybe a meal, some lite golf, and a little listening time. When you're on vacation, though, the last thing you want to be doing is scheduling blocks of time. I always thought that "no schedule is the best schedule" since, when working, they are the only thing you live by ... so the vacation formula is "wake up, have breakfast, then say ... so what aren't we going to do today?"

Looking forward to it!

Chris

I shoot a 77, my best round in about 2 years so what's the logical thing to do? Buy a new driver! It might take me until September to get used to it. My first offset club but I'm losing at least 20 yards off the tee with the fade I can't seem to correct on my own. Maybe technology will help. It arrived yesterday.

post-11821-13819340008874_thumb.jpg

Gary: If interested Taylor Made makes a R5 & R7 Dmodel that has a built in hook face at address. Unfortunately, a hook ball flight ain't my problem so I had to dump mine. Should have bought the N (neutral) model.

Chris: Perambulate? had to look that one up,nice.

Arky, are you interested in selling the R7? What shaft do you have in it?

I play a draw as well, and have no problems drawing every club in my bag except my driver, which is a Callaway 454 (a couple years old). I tend to leave a lot of shots out to the right (right where I'm aiming), and have always been curious about the R7.

Mike

I'll be ebaying my neutral R5 as soon as I'm sure about the Cobra. I didn't go into this blindly. One of my buddies has a two year old Cobra Offset and I hit it straight as an arrow. This one has more mass and I need to put a Winn grip on it, otherwise it should be very similiar.

I have a set of Staff Pro that was ordered direct from Wilson when Kennedy was President; real leather grips, steel shafts, drivers 1, 2 1/2, 3 1/2, and 4 1/2 - the biggest driver head is no larger than a youngster's fist. Quite different from the modern equipment; nothing oversized.

I played when I was a teenager, still get out once in a while. I like to walk the couse carrying my bag; hard to do these days as most courses insist you drive a cart... sort of spoils it for me.

Arky, are you interested in selling the R7? What shaft do you have in it?

I play a draw as well, and have no problems drawing every club in my bag except my driver, which is a Callaway 454 (a couple years old). I tend to leave a lot of shots out to the right (right where I'm aiming), and have always been curious about the R7.

Mike

Ha. I just bought a brand new 454 along with the matching 3 wood. I also picked up a voodoo daddy and am now in the process of possibly buying a Callway I-trax for the variety. Went out in the back yard to try em out - 13 acres - crushed the 454 repeatedly right on the money (won't be finding those balls in the field) and couldn't manage to hit the 3 wood at all. Actually with the wood, I kept driving the ball into the ground 25 feet away although twice I got the ball high enough off the ground to hit the plank fencing (35 feet) and have the ball richochet back at me. That club is going to require some practice.

I shoot a 77, my best round in about 2 years so what's the logical thing to do? Buy a new driver! It might take me until September to get used to it. My first offset club but I'm losing at least 20 yards off the tee with the fade I can't seem to correct on my own. Maybe technology will help. It arrived yesterday

Very nice stick. Have always loved Cobras. When I have rented them on vacation, they always felt great.

I play with home-mades .... I have a long torso, shorter arms ... and am 6'4". Find sticks to match that build! I can't buy off the rack ...

Chris

I just got back from the range. I'm definitely not fading my drives now but I'll have to wait and see how I hit em on the course. Range balls just aren't the same. Overall, it feels pretty darn good. I had it regripped with the soft Winn right after I left the range.

This club has the oddest sound at impact I've ever heard. Much different than the Taylor Made or Callaway.

I replaced my 3 and 4 irons with Cobra 7 and 9 woods a couple years ago and love them (yes, I'm getting old). The heads on those are tiny by today's standards. I still use the Hawkeye 3 and 5 and have no plans to change.

I have the Cobra 3 and 5 LD offset woods, like em but still slice. I am self taught and guess I am a lousy teacher. I enjoy going to the golf range and walking "cheap" courses. The range I go to has had 6 to 10 deer hanging out in the evening, they are about 400 yds out so no one messes with them much. When someone gets close they scamper but drift back in a few minutes. My inlaws live on "The Landings" outside of Savannah. They are very nice courses but I cannot see paying 80 bucks to hack when we visit. So I drive the beer I mean golf cart.