OT: Wonder how many Klipsch nuts also golf?

anarchist

77's? 82'? Jeez. I can only dream at this point. I have to drive to the hole to compensate for my putting. 3 putts? If only I needed 3 putts every time.

I mentioned upgrading clubs and my new 3 wood should be arriving today - thinking about squeezing in a bucket or two today.

I went to the golf shop yesterday and tried out a variety of putters. I liked one immediately. Made 4 or 5 10 ft puts on their in-store green. Tried the Odessey and couldn't make anything except a 4 footer.

So... I am busy looking to order a Never Compromise Voodoo Daddy (the name is so right and hopefully the voodoo continues to allow me to sink 10 ft putts like money on the green)... also questioning ordering a Taylor Made Corza and I would really like a more "traditional" putter (read no mallet).

Anyone has any thoughts on the putters they are using or have found to be well-made, balanced and reliable? I know I still have to make the shot... the Voodoo gives me the confidence. What are others using?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike

You said you were coming to Pittsburgh to Golf? Most of my friends go to Myrtle Beach!!

Tom

Just met my friends from Pittsburgh in Myrtle Beach a couple of weeks ago. [:D]

I go to Pittsburgh every year because my buddy is a member of a very nice Country Club there (Edgewood, but we call it Bushwood :-) and he can get us on a couple of other nice clubs as well. The Country Club golf is spectacular in Pittsburgh and the greens are some of the finest in the country. Edgewood is an old Donald Ross course (Pinehurst #2) built in the 1920's. The course is always in exceptional condition, and the greens are always perfect and run over 12 on the stimpmeter.

There are some other nice places we like to play when I'm up there (Avalon Lakes in Warren, Ohio, and Oak Tree in Sharon, PA come to mind).

Mike

Yes I know where Edgewood is, not far from me. You guys should try some eastern Ohio courses like Firestone Farms, they are great and suprisingly inexpensive. Also Black Rock at Nemecolin Woodlands is a Pete Dye course. Your right about golf courses up here, the funny thing is people from everywhere else think they are too hilly

Tom

Anyone has any thoughts on the putters they are using or have found to be well-made, balanced and reliable? I know I still have to make the shot... the Voodoo gives me the confidence. What are others using?

I use a Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, mid-slant (34") that I bought about 5 years ago. A bit pricey but I love it. My son loves his Never Compromise although putting is the weakest part of his game (I don't think it's the putter!). I just regripped with a Winn but wish I had ordered an Oddessy grip on-line. I was too impatient. The Titleist grips are horrible.

Yes I know where Edgewood is, not far from me. You guys should try some eastern Ohio courses like Firestone Farms, they are great and suprisingly inexpensive. Also Black Rock at Nemecolin Woodlands is a Pete Dye course. Your right about golf courses up here, the funny thing is people from everywhere else think they are too hilly

Tom

Hi Tom,

I've played the courses at Nemacolin and really enjoyed myself there. Have always wanted to play Firestone. Unfortunately, we can never make it past Avalon Lakes in Warren. [:D]

Gary, try the Winn midsize (blue) putter grip. It has a very nice look and feel to it.

Mike

That's what I use. The orange is more standard size. Don't clean Winn grips like normal. They need blotting when wet not rubbed.

If anyone gets down to play golf in Pinehurst, you must check out this course. It is absolutely crazy and as fun as it gets. I am playing it on Thursday and can't wait.

The architect of this one did two of the best courses in Myrtle Beach, Caledonia and True Blue. Check out the photo gallery at the top of the page. It's an absolute must play.

http://www.tobaccoroadgolf.com/

If anyone gets down to play golf in Pinehurst, you must check out this course. It is absolutely crazy and as fun as it gets. I am playing it on Thursday and can't wait.

The architect of this one did two of the best courses in Myrtle Beach, Caledonia and True Blue. Check out the photo gallery at the top of the page. It's an absolute must play.

Caledonia is one of my favorite (if not favorite) tracks in Myrtle. I have always loved Mike Strantz courses, even though he only did just a few. Stonehouse and Royal New Kent in Virginia are 2 other outstanding courses Mide designed. He definitely left us too early.

Mike

Gary, try the Winn midsize (blue) putter grip. It has a very nice look and feel to it.

Mike

That's what I use. The orange is more standard size. Don't clean Winn grips like normal. They need blotting when wet not rubbed.

Yeah, I know. I needed something immediately and this was the best that was available nearby. I'll swap next season. It's less than $10 so it's no big deal. Getting those putter grips lined up is the hard part. Took me 3 tries before I had it right. I already shot my good round for the season so it doesn't really matter at this point.[;)] I made some killer putts yesterday though! A 40 footer on #9 kept my front under 40.

I still like the feel of the red Oddessy grip though.

BTW - I'm a big Caledonia fan also. We play it every trip.

Caledonia is one of my favorite (if not favorite) tracks in Myrtle. I have always loved Mike Strantz courses, even though he only did just a few. Stonehouse and Royal New Kent in Virginia are 2 other outstanding courses Mide designed. He definitely left us too early.

Mike

I agree completely. Strantz was one of the few architects with some real imagination. Caledonia is a gem and True Blue is just as great although a little tougher test.

I have yet to play the Virgina courses (they are on my list) but have also played a private course in the Charleston, SC area called Bull's Bay and another NC course called Tot Hill Farm which is cool too.

• Moderators

Spongeworthy,

Did you get to play the Wii yet?

I have it hooked up and it is great!! I think I like it better than my kids. I'm hooked on Golf, Tennis, and Baseball.

The "grown-up" kids were up until 3:30 the other morning playing. The bowling is really pretty cool too. After playing on the Wii for a week, we all went "Midnight Bowling" Saturday night at the bowling alley. I have to say....I think bowling on the Wii is more fun. Even my mother-in-law who is 73 years old was bowling on the Wii. Great family entertainment.....everyone should have one!!!!

I bought the Scotty Cameron 1.5 and I am really starting to putt pretty well with it.

I think putters are alot like speakers, you need to take one out on the practice green and see what works best for you or what feels the best for you. Dont think that just because you are putting well on the in store green it will transfer to the course in the same way. Alot of stores have the greens made so everything funnels towards the hole... to make you want to buy the putter. Take it out on a real green and then decide.

My philosophy has always been, if I can afford good equipment, it doesn't give me any excuses later on why I had a bad round. Also good practice & technique have alot to do with it also. Always start your putting stroke with a forward lean with the putter, I have found it gets the ball rolling alot smoother and truer.

Good Luck!

Also just don't settle for the way the putter comes from the factory. Just about all putters are way too long for me. The smallest I ever see in the stores are 33". If I had to putt with that then my elbows would be bowed out. You always want to make sure your arms hang freely when you grip the putter, and that's impossible for me with store bought putters. I always have mine cut down (and weighted appropriately) to about 31.5" and bent if need be. I also always put my favorite grip on them. You can do all this for about $20.

Mike

I'm 52 now and have been playing hard since I was 7. Played high school golf (last on the team but my twin bro was captain) but started to "get it" when I was in college. The school had a really nice course built into the hills of Lewisburg, PA, and I could have unlimited play there for $35/semester (deal!). I usually played a few times a week.

It wasn't until I was 40 that I was financially comfortable enough to join a modest club, and I played there until two years ago when we moved to Hilton Head. We belong to Spanish Wells club here, a totally unpretentious 9 hole course with two sets of tees if you want to play 18. It has the cutest little clubhouse right on Calibogue Sound, burgers are $6 and cold drafts are $1. There are no tee times, just walk on. We live on the corner of the 7th, a dogleg par 5, and sometimes Jack, my 7 year old, and I will just walk on at 7, play the next 9 holes and walk off at the house. It's a nice walk and is just LOW STRESS.

Since selling my company in April, we've been doing house projects, but since Jack's been out of school, he and I have played 2-3 times per week. He loves it and I just cherish the quality father-son time.

I'm presently playing to a 4, but had to lay off from 9/06 to 3/07 due to a badly herniated disc and recovery from surgery.

Golf is just a great game. I would love to take Carrie and Jack to Scotland and Ireland for a two week tour of some of the great old courses (and some scotch).

Chris