Synergy SUB-10 Bad Amplifier??

chesco9

Hello Guys,

I bought a Synergy Sub-10 on eBay and it worked fine (Great Room Shaking BASS) for while, but now it's been going out once in a while. I have it hooked up to a H/K receiver (which is hooked up to my SONY Media Center), and I see the light switch from red to blue when I turn the receiver on, but no sound comes out of the sub. I use the same cable an connect my old AR sub and voala, the AR sub works fine. To get the Synergy sub-10 to work again I disconnect the power for a few hours and when I connect it back up it works fine again for a period of time maybe for a day or two and then it goes out again. It's obvious that it is a problem with the amplifier on the unit, just can't pin point exactly what's making the amp go outa wack. Has anyone had the same problem with this particular amp/sub before? Is it a known issue with this model? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chesco, I too have been noticing signs of a failing amp in my SUB-10 that I bought new a little over 2 years ago (damn, there goes the warranty). I first noticed it croaking very seldomly about a month ago, so now I keep it off when not in use. It is possible that keeping it on auto mode (not off) could have worn out my amp. Anyway I called Klipsch support [1-800-KLIPSCH (1-800-554-7724)] about it and was told that if I can find the receipt, take it back to Best Buy. The other option is to ship it back to klipsch and they will replace the amp with an identical (maybe refurbished?) amp for $80 i think and will cover the cost of shipping it back to me, so total you will be out $120 figuring shipping is less than $40. However, being a 22 year-old audio junkie, I think I will take an alternate route and hope that it works.

I dug up some info and the amp is made by BASH, so I am going to upgrade while dealing with this problem. Here is a link to a BASH amp that is rated for 300W RMS (observe the factory SUB-10 at 200W RMS):

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-750

I am going to research this more in-depth to make sure this amp is compatible with the Synergy SUB10. If you think about replacing the amp yourself, take extreme caution handling the amp itself; the mainboard has capacitors that should always be considered hot.

Skimming the rules I noticed that no advertising is allowed... I don't think this falls under advertising since Klipsch sells their subwoofers with BASH amplifiers installed. But if it is then I hope you read this before someone deletes it and I am banned blah blah blah

I hope this helps and I think $150 for a better amp beats the $120 hastle/risk of shipping an entire subwoofer.

Wow, just read five of the other posts about this issue...

Hey Klipsch, your company maintains a very high level of quality with home audio equipment that has convinced me to stick around, but what's the deal with this series??! (Synergy SUB-10 and SUB-12)

I opt for a recall of the BASH amps[:D] looks like they are your weak link

Sorry to hear of the Sub amp problems- PLEASE READ!

Sub amps are under 2 year warranty- to be redeemed with your retailer.
If Best Buys says call Klipsch they are incorrect, talk to a customer
service manager or call 1-888-best-buy option 2 for customer care.
Klipsch reimburses Best Buys to take care of these warranty issues in
the field. They should take your sub in, order an entirely new
electronics package (amp and controls) and swap them. Best Buy
employees do not repair the amps per se, but swap parts.

If you are out of warranty CALL US, the repair for Sub10 amps is $60. Same price for many other amps, some are $120. That includes parts, bench labor, and return shipping to you. It's really a pretty good bargain considering the original price of the subs.

We usually talk you through removing the bad amp so only that is shipped, saving $$ and UPS smashups. It takes a Torx T20 screwdriver, that's it.

Please do not ship anything back to Klipsch without a Return Authorization as it will not be accepted

We're here to help and want you to be happy with your Klipsch purchase.

Michael

• 1 year later...

Are you telling me I can remove the bad amp and return it to Klipsch and Klipsch will ship me a new one with an RMA? How much is another amp since Klipsch doesn't have to do anything except ship the new amp back? I would think it would be less than $60 since Klipsch would have no time in bench labor and less shipping then it would be if you had to ship the whole speaker back to me. I'm curious as my amp is also bad. I have had my speaker for 1 year and 11 months so I will take it back to Best Buy to return it under warrenty this time. Believe it or not I bought the speaker during the Black Friday special. I would still like to know about the other deal you are talking about in case I need to contact Klipsch about this problem in the future.

Thanks,

Michael

• 1 month later...

I'm 5 days away from my 2 year mark. The sub worked great for a year and a half, with everyday use. Moved into a new house and just got to hooking the sub back up and now I have fuses blowing? Seems this is an amp flaw, as I am reading. So, klipsch will fix this? The company I bought the sub from is no help, so I guess my option is to go directly to Klipsch.

So for now my RB-61's will have to do what they can to make up for it. Who knows a reference series sub may be in my future.

I just had my sub sent in a little over a month ago. I bought my at Best Buy (black friday or whatever they call it) and I took it back there. After jacking me around at the service counter telling me I had to send it into Klipsch and I argued that Klipsch told me to send it in through best buy they sent me over to the Geek Squad counter. Once at the Geek Squad counter they tried to tell me that I would have to pay some high dollar shipping and other repair fees until I told them I thought it was still under warranty. They looked the warranty up and said that it was good for 5 years. My speaker was under 2 years old by a couple of days but I have it on a document from the Best Buy Geek Squad that it is covered under warranty for 5 years. Anyhow I have the speaker back now (no charge) and it is working like it should again. I would call Klipsch if I were you and see if that place that you bought it from is an authorized dealer. Klipsch should get involved if they are and should help you out with it. Bottom line is according to my document from Geek Squad, that I have stowed away for future reference, the speaker warranty is for 5 years. That's a hell of a warranty, to bad you're going to need it from what it looks like[:(].

Are you telling me I can remove the bad amp and return it to Klipsch and Klipsch will ship me a new one with an RMA? How much is another amp since Klipsch doesn't have to do anything except ship the new amp back? I would think it would be less than $60 since Klipsch would have no time in bench labor and less shipping then it would be if you had to ship the whole speaker back to me. I'm curious as my amp is also bad. I have had my speaker for 1 year and 11 months so I will take it back to Best Buy to return it under warrenty this time. Believe it or not I bought the speaker during the Black Friday special. I would still like to know about the other deal you are talking about in case I need to contact Klipsch about this problem in the future.

Thanks,

Michael

I wonder if Klipsch is ever going to reply to my question?[^o)]

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I understand from your forum that I can get a replacement amp for my out of warranty sub-10. I have removed the control board from the speaker and would like to replace it. I am pretty disallusioned by the amount of problems theur seem to be with these amps. Klipsch has always had a great rep. and I have been a customer for some time. IE Corner horns x 4 and a pair of KG -4 and now a complete home entertainment system. Maybe a recall or free replacement of these amps are in order. Thanx. Rmac57

Are you sure your speaker is out of warranty? I took my speaker back to Best Buy and they sent it back to the factory, they said it was under warranty for 6 years. As long as you have the receipt then Klipsch pays all shipping plus replacement of the bad component. At least that's what they did for me. Otherwise you could try calling Klipsch directly or emailing them. I'll be buying more Klipsch in the future!

I can't find the repair sheet that I got from Best Buy when I had my speaker repaired last year but I'll keep looking and post it if I find it. At first Best Buy told me that I would have to pay to have it shipped and repaired but I told them I thought it was under warranty still so the guy at the repair counter looked it up and that is when he told me that it was under warranty for I thought 6 years but could have been 5 I guess. That was for everything too. I now remember that I called Klipsch and they told me that since I bought the speaker at Best Buy that I needed to send it in through them, Best Buy gave me a bit of run around but when I called their bluff they were really helpful then. I have also heard that Klipsch sometimes will just send the amp to you so that you or they don't have to pay for the expensive shipping of the sub. I'd like to know what Klipsch tells you when you call them. Please post your results, hope you get your problem resolved.

• 2 weeks later...

I don,t know if you have a reply yet. I called Klipsch tech support and we worked out a great deal. Send them 60.00 and your bad controler and they will rebuild it and return it. They told me 4 to 6 weeks but I got it back in 10 days.thanx Klipsch for stepping up. Richard