Turn Table Help

NOSValves

Oh, oh! Your post could start a debate as big as the one over solid state v. tubes.

Just a few comments...

If this is your first vintage turntable, I would suggest something like an AR XA. Its a basic, no frills, belt drive turntable with a reasonable tone arm. They show up on eBay frequently.

I wouldn't buy anything listed on eBay without good pictures unless I was sure of what I was getting, or I was picking it up personally.

Count on replacing things on a vintage turntable, including belt, mat, capacitors, stylus and/or cartridge.

don't know anything about turntables, except the Scott name is good and they are both belt driven, but I would find out how many of the second one's features that the first (low price) one has before bidding on it. Direct drive is accurate but rumbles. Belt drive is not as accurate, hence the speeed control, but is quiet. Both will probably need new needles if not new cartridges. There are some awfully nice set-ups available new or next to new for about $500, Music Hall is one that comes to mind. I don't use the one that is here, but I do look at it. Sleek black thing with straight arm and Bentz, not Grado! cartridge.

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

Food for Thought:

1. How much do you want to spend (total of turntable, arm & cartridge)? Work on that number first and stick to your limit! Don't get into a bidding war on Ebay and end up overpaying.

2. Are you experienced with turntables and able to do a reasonable setup yourself, adjusting things like cartridge alignment, tracking weight, antiskating, VTA, leveling?

If the answer is no to #2 you may want to go with a new deck to keep from buying something used that you won't know is screwed up until you try to use it. Also, shipping a turntable is a delicate matter and it needs to be partially disassembled then packed EXTREMELY well to survive the common carriers. The turntable should then be visually inspected for obvious problems, reassembled, leveled, and set up with a known good cartridge before you try to play a LP.

If you go new my suggestion would be a Rega P2 or P3, since they come almost ready to play out of the box and Rega's cartridges are self-aligning on Rega tonearms. Rega setups are uncomplicated and user friendly, you don't need a shop's help to get it playing. Either turntable will produce very nice sound for the money and hold their value well when you're ready to trade up.

I'm a big advocate of buying used components due to the major amount of money that can be saved but be careful and KNOW what you're buying. If the deck needs repair instead of just setup (damaged tonearm, worn bearing, etc, etc) it gets expensive fast and its also getting hard to find audio shops that will even touch a turntable. If you do go used try to get a deck from the original owner if possible and thoroughly check an Ebay seller's feedback before you bid. If there's too many disclaimers in the listing run away fast and if the seller has any negative feedback run away faster.

Stuff to look for when getting a used turntable:

Will the seller take it back if its broken or worn out?

Is a tonearm included? Is the tonearm fully functional?

Is the headshell included (depending on tonearm type)?

Does the damped cuing work OK or does it drop the arm like a rock?

Is a cartridge included? How old is the cartridge?

Is the dustcover scratched or cracked? Hinges OK?

Are all of the accessories included? Owner's manual?

If belt driven is the belt usable or stretched out?

Is a replacement belt even available for this deck?

What is the cosmetic condition? (get it in writing)

Has it been in regular use or sitting for 20 years?

If automatic, do the automatic functions work OK?

If it has a strobe lamp does that light up?

Has the turntable been modified or is it original?

This may seem like a myriad of questions but you need to know exactly what you're buying and a good seller will have no reservations about providing needed info and/or pictures.

Hope this info helps! Good Luck!

I've been chatting with the guy with the 4th one on my list above and he has pictures and it looks like a great Turn Table. He also say's it has a brand new Needle and Cartridge and play perfect. He's a Musician and has great feedback on Ebay. I think I'm going to try and get that one.

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 12-26-2001 at 11:45 PM

Audioholic

Well first off no I have never setup a turn table. But I like challenges. So that doesn't frighten me.

This is the Info he has emailed me about the Scott turn table. By the way what do you think of the Scott Turn Tables ? Oh and his feedback is A+ and allot of them were turn tables Smile.gif

First Email

quote:

HEllo the needle is a new one, along with the cartridge

it was a NOS stock that I bought a while back from ebay and since i had it,

I just placed it on that turntable... I believe it is a realistic.... it

sounded great

also there are a few scratches on the dust cover

the rest of the phono is in beautiful shape

I Am sure you wont be disappointed

I never attempt to sell junk in ebay

after all it is nice to have a decent turntable instead of some of the trash

that is sold on Ebay so i understand your questions
Smile.gif

Feel free to ask any other questions

and by the way when I pack these I take off the turntable itself and the

headstock and wrap them seperately to avoid damage to the phono during

shipping
Smile.gif

Take care

JOhnny

Second Email

quote:

HEllo

I try to keep my customers happy and really

have worked hard for all those great remarks I have in ebay

and even harder to prevent any negative feedback
Smile.gif

I am fussy about music and am a musician

and that turntable passes my test

I dont know if you know of SCOTT very well

but I really do believe that they put out some really nice units at the time

they did
Smile.gif

Take care and have a great NEW YEAR

also good luck on your Bidding

JOhnny

NOS440: I'm not familiar with Scott turntables but their other equipment was of good quality so it probably isn't a bad deck, you may want to run a Google search on the model to see if any info is on the net. The Ebay seller seemed honest from his responses to you, it could be a good deal.

______

MIKE STEHR: I haven't owned a Rega turntable myself but I have a Rega Planet CD player and its of very good quality. I've heard music on a P2 and a P3 at other people's houses on good systems and both produced excellent sound (and I'm picky). You may want to check www.audioreview.com or Stereophile for reviews if you're seriously considering one. I jumped from good mid-fi decks (Denon DP-45F, Yamaha PF800) into a Linn Sondek LP12 due to the LP12's reputation but I came really close to buying a Rega P25. Also, if you can find a Yamaha PF800 in good condition for around $300.00 its an excellent deck and can rival much more expensive stuff if set up properly. I still have my PF800 and won't be selling it, Yamaha outdid themselves on that one.

Thanks for the tips, Audioholic!

I'm just searching the waters, to get a feel

of the different brands, quality, and prices.

The first Audio maniac I ever met was a lady,(Kathy.)

This was about '73,'75. I do not remember her

rig or gear,though it was nice(I was in grade school.) But I do remember how much she babied that turntable.

She hooked my stepbrother to Audio.

I don't think she ever bought into digital.

THANX!cwm20.gif

Umm, Scott was known for good amplification, not for turntables.

And a Realistic cartridge?? I don't think so!

Look for a good vintage belt-drive turntable from Thorens if you want to go the vintage route. The TD-145 and TD-160 are excellent examples, and turn up cheap all the time.

Musician or not, I don't get the impression that the seller knows much about turntables.

J!

mmf2.jpg

The cheapest new table you can get that is half decent is the Music Hall MMF 2.1 which is an extremely simple belt drive table that can be purchased online if savey for around $269 or so brand new with a cartridge. With a simple stylus upgrade, the sound gets damn good for the money or just keep it stock for fine sound. No worries here about used gear. Of course, there are better tables, and some good used bargains but if going new, this is just about the cheapest that still floats. Hard to go wrong when it comes turnkey with cartridge already mounted. If you can find one for the discounted rate, why not? It even comes with an extra belt.

As for other deals, I personally feel the best deal in arms right is the Origin Live Modified Rega RB250. It is by far the best arm for the money coming in around $329-379 depending on options. Find a good solid used deck like the VPI HW-19JR or even an old Linn LP-12 (a bit more finicky, however). Look on AudiogoN and eBay and you'll see turntables pop up all the time. All you have to do is wait. I actually like the VPI slightly better than the Rega tables. The VPI HW-19 Jr. can be upgraded down the line and you can buy arm boards pre-drilled for the arm of choice for around $70 direct from VPI.

The Rega 2 and Rega 3 tables ARE good deals but they just arent that exciting to me; still, if you find one that is a good price - GO FOR IT (they ARE better than then the MMF 2.1, mainly because of the great arm). IT's another turntable that is practically turnkey. The VPI is a very quiet table with good bass extension but lacks the Linn's certain magic when the Linn is set up properly. Still, the damn Linn LP-12 is surely not a turnkey table and can sound like dreck if the springs are off or it's on the wrong stand. When it's on, it has a rhythm and timing that is second to none, although many say the table is now easily outclassed and all hype. I equate the Linn LP-12 to the Tube equivalent of the analog World; it does have some soul. But the VPI is surely a more stable table with little to mess with. The Jr. with a Origin Live Rega RB250 is a fine combo. In fact, the OL RB250 does very well on the Linn too, from what I hear. Still, the Linn is almost like Black Art when it comes setup time as balancing the springs takes speaking in tongues, the moon in the right quadrant, and 25 Hail Marys, even if not Catholic.

Actually, there are so many TT options these days...too many to list at this stage on a Saturday night.

s y s t e m

Linn LP-12/Linn Basic Plus/Sumiko Blue Point

Rega Planet

Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing

f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 12-30-2001 at 12:26 PM

Sounds like the Music Hall would be a good

entry level product for a clown like me.

I ain't really ready to deal with fancy tonearms,

cartridges and the obvious babying, with some

of the mentioned TTs, due to the lack of just knowing how. (I'm sure it's not that difficult.)

There is a Linn LP-12 on Ebay, BTW.

$450, I just don't have that kinda money, at the

moment, It looked Cherry, though.

Like you wrote, hang back and wait. I'm in no rush.

THANX!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

"Most of the Radio Shack Cartridges were Shure models so it might not be too bad."

Might not be too bad? Hardly a recommendation, right?

Also, how old is the cart? Dried-out suspension, worn needle, or both... doesn't even bear thinking about!

These days you can get a perfectly nice Grado for cheap, pair it with a used Thorens or a new Music Hall and do quite well... no need to buy ancient equipment from manufacturers not known for their quality in analog (pace a *possible* Shure cart in Realistic disguise, age unknown!)

J!

Both below carry turntables and Cartridges and there are plenty others:

http://www.needledoctor.com/

http://www.audioadvisor.com/

In looking for a used table, simple is better. Go for a belt drive over a direct drive since the belt insulates the motor from the platter producing a far quieter table. Almost no hi-end tables opt for direct drive. It was widely used in the 70s but is frowned upon today. Fully automatic is best avoided (as is semi-automatic in my book).

kh

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 12-31-2001 at 11:10 AM