DIY: Entertainment Center

atleer

I finally decided to get going with planning my Tv/entertainment stand I've been planning for awhile now. I have just finished with my design ideas and made these 3d models to check them out. I have a 56" JVC LCOS TV that will sit on this. I designed the middle shelf to hold my center channel speaker, right now on RC-3, but it will support an RC-7 for future upgrades. The other shelves will be for components and my 360. The pull out drawer in the middle is to house DVD/Games.

Let me know what you all think.

post-24456-13819344071468_thumb.jpg

Looks awesome Ryan. The only thing I would worry about is how your center is going to sound being in an enclosed shelf. I believe the RC-7 is rear ported, so it may sound " boomy ". Is there any way possible you could make the shelf larger ( for your center ) and to not enclose it? Just something to keep in mind if or when you decide to upgrade your center. Your RC-3 is sealed, so it may sound ok. Others will give you more helpful tips, just give it some time.[Y]

I finally decided to get going with planning my Tv/entertainment stand I've been planning for awhile now. I have just finished with my design ideas and made these 3d models to check them out. I have a 56" JVC LCOS TV that will sit on this. I designed the middle shelf to hold my center channel speaker, right now on RC-3, but it will support an RC-7 for future upgrades. The other shelves will be for components and my 360. The pull out drawer in the middle is to house DVD/Games.

Let me know what you all think. 

If you are planing for the future why not have enough space for a RC 64 since the RC 7s are getting harder to find, just a thought.

Lots of responses, thanks!

Now my TV is probably 30-32" off the ground on a make shift stand, not quite the best. On top of it, my center speaker is off center which drives me nuts.

What is the height of yours Strutter?

I have plans for adding glass front cabinet doors to the right and left side in the future, but for now i can hold off on it.

I hadn't thought about leaving the space in the middle shelf open behind the speaker, I may have to make that change.

As for room for an RC-64, it jumps up like 6-8 inches on the width required, and that seemed like too much.

All good suggestions. You will thank your self if you plan for easily removeable backs for the components slots for ease of changing wiring and/or components. That is if you don't decide to leave the back wide open. Just use clips for the backs with a recessed groove for the back wood portion.

What is the height of yours Strutter?

with the adjustable feet set at 1" my stand is 20" high. it needed to be 18" for optimum viewing but my calculations told me that wasnt going to give me enough inside room for components. so i made it 19" high. close enough i think. for optimum viewing you need to have the center of the TV eye level when you are at your usual sitting position. BTW my set is a 60" sony XBR2

someone suggested that if you put a back on it to make sure it comes off easily. i fully support this notion. it's the thing i most wish i had done with mine. and when i get the time i'm going to do it. my back is held on by wing nuts. easy to remove but the back is one solid peice which makes it more difficult. i'm going to remove it and cut it into 3 sections then reinstall with the wing nuts. i also wish i had put a drawer under the center speaker.

• 3 months later...