About CHORUS II

Axellfoxy

Hello everybody,
I'm a lucky owner of a pair of Chorus II but it's a rare model in Italy so I would be happy if someone could indicate any site to download user's manual or to get technical information about my Klipsch.Do you know what was last retail price?How do you think this model is qualitativelly set in the Heritage large family?

Here is my loved gear:
turntable:MICHELL GYRODECK+GYROPOWER
tonearm:OL 1 FULL MOD.
cartridge:GRADO MASTER WOOD
cd player:LINN GENKI
pre:MAC C15
amplifier:MAC MC 150
speakers:KLIPSCH CHORUS II
cables:XLO REFERENCE
Many thanks and best regards
Francesco (Italy)

P.S. Sorry for my english,be sure I will practice!!!

Rumor is this is the last speaker PWK worked very closely on.

The bass extends lower than the Belle or LaScala but lack a little detail. Horn mid in Chorus 2 is better than Chorus 1 but far below the Heritage for soundstage and music realism.

You can get them closer by upgrading the capacitors in the networks. A fine built speaker with the networks having the lowest cost poorest performing components. Cabinet, drivers and horns are well made.

Alwys intesting to have another Michell TT owner in the forum.

Welcome,

Rick

Welcome-

This would be a start for you (perhaps you've found it by now anyway)

http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/chorus-ii.aspx

They are an awesome speaker, and fit into rooms a lot easier than many of the other Heritage lineup. EDIT: Midrange driver is K-61, while the Chorus and Cornwall II use a K-57. Both are phenolic diaphragms.

Bruce

Hello Rick,

I love Klipsch sound and hope my CHORUS II will last for years because the only replace could be a Cornwall III but they are a bit larger and this could be a problem to set them in my room(Heresey III seems to be too small because I got used to the 15" woofer!!!!):Did you upgrade the capacitors?Is it a simple operation?What'can you tell me about the cost?

Many thanks and regards

Francesco(Italy)

Hello Bruce,

many thanks.

As I was saying I love Klipsch sound and hope my CHORUS II will last for years because the only replace could be a Cornwall III but they are a bit larger and could be a problem to fit them in my room(Heresey III seems to be too small because I got used to the 15" woofer!!!!).

I've seen you own older Klipsch:are these speakers made for last a lot of time?What kind of trouble is to expect?

Regards

Francesco

Francesco,

I haven't done a thing to the Heresy IIs. I would like to replace the caps in the crossovers, and perhaps rebuild them on a separate board, to mount in the cabinets. The crossovers are mounted on the input connector cup right now.

The LS had a crossover that I didn't like, also with old caps. I built brand new ones (a constant impedance, first order slope). Other than that, I just enjoy them very much. I also think the Heresies have pretty decent bass, but then, I think my LaScalas have good bass too. The right amp can really make a difference on them.

I also replaced the tweeter on the La Scalas. THe old ones were ok, but I put in a set that is sold by one of the forum members. It is a drop in for the Heresies, Cornwalls, LS, KHorn. I like them a lot. Took all of 15 minutes to swap them out.

The woofers hold up extremely well... having a treated cloth surround, they almost never wear out unless really abused. The diaphragms in the mid and tweeter drivers can fatigue or get blown, but still you would be pushing them pretty hard to do that. Replacement diaphragms are available for a very reasonable price.

I listen at fairly low levels, so I figure mine will last a long time. I got them used (purchased the LaScalas and the Heresy IIs were a gift from my oldest son).

The short story for you would be to just enjoy the Chorus IIs for a while and get used to them.

Bruce

Hello Rick,
I love Klipsch sound and hope my CHORUS II will last for years because the only replace could be a Cornwall III but they are a bit larger and this could be a problem to set them in my room(Heresey III seems to be too small because I got used to the 15" woofer!!!!):Did you upgrade the capacitors?Is it a simple operation?What'can you tell me about the cost?
Many thanks and regards
Francesco(Italy)

I have had the good fortune to not to have to do any soldering in years. Used to do it allot but it can be arranged in the USA to find people that do it frequently to help. DEANG on the forum recapped my Chorus IIs.

The cap replacement is a bit finicky due to the network being only on the speaker wire lug cup. Therefore the "packaging" of the new larger caps is a pain.

Auricap or Kimber replacements perhaps can be had mail order to Italy I would think. Should be able to do the upgrade for less than 200-300 EURO

Francesco,

I haven't done a thing to the Heresy IIs. I would like to replace the caps in the crossovers, and perhaps rebuild them on a separate board, to mount in the cabinets. The crossovers are mounted on the input connector cup right now.

The LS had a crossover that I didn't like, also with old caps. I built brand new ones (a constant impedance, first order slope). Other than that, I just enjoy them very much. I also think the Heresies have pretty decent bass, but then, I think my LaScalas have good bass too. The right amp can really make a difference on them.

I also replaced the tweeter on the La Scalas. THe old ones were ok, but I put in a set that is sold by one of the forum members. It is a drop in for the Heresies, Cornwalls, LS, KHorn. I like them a lot. Took all of 15 minutes to swap them out.

The woofers hold up extremely well... having a treated cloth surround, they almost never wear out unless really abused. The diaphragms in the mid and tweeter drivers can fatigue or get blown, but still you would be pushing them pretty hard to do that. Replacement diaphragms are available for a very reasonable price.

I listen at fairly low levels, so I figure mine will last a long time. I got them used (purchased the LaScalas and the Heresy IIs were a gift from my oldest son).

The short story for you would be to just enjoy the Chorus IIs for a while and get used to them.

Bruce

Strange how the more you like the music reproduction the lower the SPL is necessary.

And do not get me started on tube amps...[;)]

Flynn, as a musician I disagree. A level approaching or equalling live level is what those who appreciate or rather know music find necessary for reproduction.

Live level has allot of definitions for different people. And most modest size rooms cannot handle live rock well at all due to reflections and over driving the room.

My WHO collection sounds poor at loud levels. Live at Leeds maybe sounds the best. My 3 versions of Who's next are pretty sad. Diana Krall and Norah Jones sound darn good gently whispering in my ear from across the room. Marvel listens to quite a bit of acoustic music and plays as I recall.

You know you can get those 2A3 guys pretty worked up talking about the live dynamics and SPL level from 20 feet in front of a 60 piece live orchestra.

Yes, those are good points. Acoustic music, especially guitars are not that loud. I am not surprised about your experience with the Who, I have yet to find a level that makes them sound good. There is nothing quite like sitting 20 feet in front of a 60 piece orchestra, although 40 to 60 feet in a good hall might sound better balanced.

Quadrophenia, and Who are You, ...........You don't like the way these sound? I find early Who doesn't sound good at all, although, Tommy's not bad, and Live at Leeds, well, that's live Who recorded 40+ years ago.............There is nothing that really sounds as good as live music, everything else is well, re-production.....................Sorry, music talk is hard for me to stay out of.................Enjoy your Chorus's...ignore the voices !!!!!

Horn mid in Chorus 2 is better than Chorus 1

but far below the Heritage for soundstage and music realism.

I gotta disagree with that one.

Side by Side the tractrix midrange on

the Chorus 2 is less honky and much smoother than the exponential

midrange of

the old heritage. The narrower directivity might require more careful

placement if you want to achieve the same levels of

soundstage, but I would argue that it's mostly a result of room

acoustics and how the speaker loads the room. In other words, the room

dictates the ideal directivity of the speaker as it pertains to the

soundstage and the "you are there" psychoacoustic tricks.

I agree with the rest though.

Marvel listens to quite a bit of acoustic music and plays as I recall.

You know you can get those 2A3 guys pretty worked up talking about the live dynamics and SPL level from 20 feet in front of a 60 piece live orchestra.

I DO play acoustic, but lately have been wailing away on my 1940s lapsteel and new electric. Having a lot of fun... as for the other...[8-)]

Bruce

Horn mid in Chorus 2 is better than Chorus 1 but far below the Heritage for soundstage and music realism.

Side by Side the tractrix midrange on the Chorus 2 is less honky and much smoother than the exponential midrange of the old heritage. The narrower directivity might require more careful placement if you want to achieve the same levels of soundstage, but I would argue that it's mostly a result of room acoustics and how the speaker loads the room. In other words, the room dictates the ideal directivity of the speaker as it pertains to the soundstage and the "you are there" psychoacoustic tricks.

Hello Mike,

many thanks for your interesting considerations

Regards

Francesco(Italy)

Horn mid in Chorus 2 is better than Chorus 1 but far below the Heritage for soundstage and music realism.

Side by Side the tractrix midrange on the Chorus 2 is less honky and much smoother than the exponential midrange of the old heritage. The narrower directivity might require more careful placement if you want to achieve the same levels of soundstage, but I would argue that it's mostly a result of room acoustics and how the speaker loads the room. In other words, the room dictates the ideal directivity of the speaker as it pertains to the soundstage and the "you are there" psychoacoustic tricks.

Hello Mike,

many thanks for your interesting considerations

Regards

Francesco(Italy)