Something comming from Hope

customsteve01

Well Dtel hit the nail on the head. Good guess. Its a RT-12D. Its really hard to believe that the packing weighs in at 60 lbs.

This thing is going to kick some serious butt over the little SW8 that I have now. Now I just have to wait till next week to get back home and hook it up. At least its not going to be sitting in the back fo my car for 10 days.

I really want to thank Klipsch on giving away the door prized at the pilgramage, and also whoever it was that drew my name.

Steve

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I thought Trey might have stowed himself away to pay you a visit. That boy couldn't weigh more than 140 soaking wet! LOL [;)]

Congrats, Steve! Those La Scala's are gonna sound unbelievable with that sub working with them! -Glenn

Well the sub is getting delievered to the house tonight. A friend that lives down the road drives for Old Dominion Frieght Lines and he is dropping it off at the house when he goes home tonight.

At least the sub will be at the house and not sitting on the dock of the shipping company. It will just have to wait till probably Monday to get hooked up.

Picky,

The sub is going inside and will be used with the KG5.2's. I bet ocasionally it will get to play with the LaScalas. I wonder how the sub will perform outside? You know I like to bring the LaScalas outside when we have our bonfire.

Steve

Well its in the house. Thanks to Mr. Cave (our neighbor). I found out they call him Caveman at Old Dominion where he works. haha

Caroline says its a BIG box, with alittle of that how big is this and where are you going to put it with all your other speakers tone.

Well I guess it gets to sit for the rest of the week cause I really don't think she will be unpacking it and hooking it up.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

OK, getting the beast out of the box was alot of fun.[:@] I sent Amy an e-mail that they need to have the box lift off the sub so you don't have to lift the sub out of the box. I was able to get the grills off while it was in the box so I could have something to grab ahold of. It is a beast at 71 lbs. and bigger that I remember, but then again I didn't get all touchy feely with the sub while we were in Indy. Here it is out of the box with grills off.

post-16814-13819344430706_thumb.jpg

I ran the room correction after getting it hooked up and found out that I have alot of stuff that vibrate and make noise when this thing was going thru the test. Then I got out the SLP meter and set the volume to match the rest of my speakers, I had to set my receiver LFE out put to -6 and the volume on the sub to -6 and the sub was still alittle louder than the rest. I did notice that when I did the low freq sweep that I have about a 12db variance that I need to get worked out. I need to get a USB cable so I can run the software to the sub. I will get that later on today.

Well here is a picture of the subs new home.

post-16814-13819344431326_thumb.jpg

Yes I was able to coose the finish.

Mike,

When I get the cable and run software I might want to talk to you, Trey, or Steve P. about the results and how to get everything dialed in. The db was pretty steady thru the sweep but it started and finished lower about 10 down that it was thru the rest of the time. I think it will be easier to see when it is on a chart.

Steve

While the charts are interesting and the EQ functions cool, unless the frequency abberations are minimum phase, the EQ isn't going to be of much sonic benefit. Since I don't know what generally consists of minimum phase, I would probably just run it all flat. If anything, maybe playing with it by ear to see if there are real sonic improvements (and then you know that frequency range is minimum phase).

Ok Mike,

What you said just went right over my head.

I did find a cable upstairs, but its not very long. So the computer was sitting on the old sub just a few feet from the RT. I don't knowif that will make a differance with the readings or not. the mic was sitting on the couch (upper cushion by where my head would be)

Here is the chart. Whte is before the correction and blue is after. looks pretty good other than the dip at 65 and 90.

Ok, lets here the suggestions.

Steve

post-16814-13819344432986_thumb.jpg