Blown KG4

Drooby

I'm so bummed out! I don't know what I did, but one of my speakers has a blown horn(s). The local dealer took a look at it and quoted something close to $200 to fix it. I'm having trouble deciding if it's worth it. I love these speakers, but I'm also thinking of going with a surround system - after all, technology has come a long way in the last 16 years. If I do go with a new Klipsch set-up, what am I supposed to do with these beautiful oak speakers? I just can't part with them!

Also, as a dumb newbie, does it make sense to have a high quality floor mounted pair of speakers and add the three other little speakers for 5.1 movie viewing?

Your dealer is yanking your chain. Klipsch will surely rebuild your tweeter for less than $200, probably less than $100. Technology has not changed so much that KG4s cannot be the bassis for a great HT system, if you want them to be.

John

And as a KG4 owner myself, let me echo John's comment that the KG4 makes a great beginning to a very nice HT system. Get a KV-2 or KV-3 or Academy center channel (only available used) and a pair of SS-1 surrounds (available new) or a used pair of KG1.x or KG2.x for surrounds.

Then don't go listen to any other larger Klipsch speakers or you'll be caught in upgradeland Smile.gif (Look at my signature and you'll see what I mean - 1 year ago all I had was a pair of KG4s. You've been warned!)

Doug

------------------

My System

To bad they dont have the old section with the replacement parts. I know for a fact a new horn would be less than $100. I got a new woofer for $80 ( and I have to get another new one due to the previous owners abuse Frown.gif )

------------------

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

This message has been edited by Diggs on 12-31-2001 at 12:54 AM