Best way to finish Raw Birch but keep it light?

eq_shadimar

Hi Jeff,

Any oil-based finish will yellow over time. Lacquer will also yellow, but takes a bit longer then oil based finishes. The only finish I am aware of that will not yellow any time soon is a water-based polyurethane. You can brush or spray several light coats with light sanding between coats. The water-based poly will appear milky when wet, but will dry clear.

I used the Benjamin Moore Stays Clear a couple of years ago with no yellowing yet. It's available in low lustre or high gloss.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/bmpsweb/portals/bmps.portal?_nfpb=true&_windowLabel=contentrenderer_1_3&contentrenderer_1_3_actionOverride=%2Fbm%2Fcms%2FContentRenderer%2FrenderContent&contentrenderer_1_3currentNodeUUID=%2FBEA+Repository%2F34004&contentrenderer_1_3NodeUUID=%2FBEA+Repository%2F30004&_pageLabel=fh_findproducts#cleanup

I have considered this approach, haven't used the poly acrylic or polyurethane finish:

"Finishing is normally done with China Tung oil purchased as 100% and thinned as necessary. Tung oil is a deep rich
honey color and this helps impart a beautiful wet wood look and really brings out the grain. Normally 2 Tung
oil coats is applied, taking 4 days to dry. Then finished with a final 3 coats of high grade furniture
poly acrylic or polyurethane in satin or gloss finish."

This is the approach a cabinet maker uses in making after market audio cabinets for McIntosh equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jeff,

Is that the same pair of Heresy speakers I sold you some years ago? If so, I hope you are enjoying them! Please post some pictures before and after the finish. Like you I am wondering if I should apply a finish to a pair Birch Raw Cornwalls that I have--so I would love to see your results. Thanks!

Best,

Triceratops

Eugene, Oregon